Airbnb Supports Black Lives Matter

BTW, though I support BLM and similar groups, my interest in this thread is about hosts leaving Airbnb and using the rationale that they can’t support Black Lives Matter. As corporations are only looking to make money they are placing a bet, not really supporting a cause. The widespread use of the Black lives matter slogan, if not actual funding to the organization of the same name, is giving hosts who want to remain on the Airbnb platform cover. If they are leaving Airbnb just because of their support for BLM, they are in denial about where their dollars go.

To give an example from another sector: One of the co founders of Home Depot is a well known supporter of Trump. My liberal friends and I strive to buy from Lowe’s instead. Its Black CEO, various diversity initiatives and non support for Trump make them more palatable. But Lowe’s PAC donates two thirds of their money to Republicans. Meanwhile, in addition to supporting Trump, the Home Depot billionaire has pledged to give away 90% of his billions to charities that all people support.

People like simple boogeymen and scapegoats on both the right and the left but things aren’t that simple.

4 Likes

I thought this was a good analogy for those who are espousing “all lives matter”

I’ve written several times that being supportive of Policeman (good policeman) doesn’t mean that you can’t be supportive of BLM and the current protests. Came across this Venn Diagram which illustrates not having to be on one side of the fence (unless you happen to be POTUS who has fenced himself off).

5 Likes

All lives matter literally on the heels of the same cohort saying these things is infuriating:

“The flu kills more people” “Covid doesn’t kill, they were going to die anyway,” “the numbers are inflated.”

And it was not just fringe wingers on the dark web, elected officials appearing in public, saying them on camera, tweeting them. It was people on this forum.

I believe that what made George Floyd’s death inflame these long pent up emotions in a way the other murders did not are the weeks of concrete proof in words and actions that all lives do not matter. Do not come right back and drink from that all lives matter well mere days after you poison it.

I am sorry to say that I think it is doubtful these causes will ever see this money. Press releases are easy. Cash is harder. In the midst of this worldwide pandemic, their aspirations to the community are an empty dream. This company is hurting and just suffered a huge layoff. Also, I never received the promised money for all of my cancelled reservations.

1 Like

To be clear, you were never promised money for ALL of your cancelled reservations, there were conditions.

Back to the other point, you may be right about the money and it’s not specific to the issue. Lots of folks “pledge” and never send money. That’s been going on since the Jerry Lewis Telethons of my childhood.

Unfortunately it is now a very presidential thing to do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-boasts-of-his-philanthropy-but-his-giving-falls-short-of-his-words/2016/10/29/b3c03106-9ac7-11e6-a0ed-ab0774c1eaa5_story.html

2 Likes

Yet another brand jumps on the bandwagon: NASCAR

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bubba-wallace-to-drive-black-lives-matter-car-at-martinsville-213641481.html

2 Likes

You could say “the bandwagon”, or you could say “the right side of history” :wink:

3 Likes

I could, and have, said both.

In the case of these companies they are mostly chicken shit for not leading instead of following. There are a few who stuck their necks out (like Nike and Colin Kaepernick) but most these companies just have their finger to the wind. It’s better than nothing though.

4 Likes

Given their core fan base and the loyalty of their fan base, I think NASCAR can influence social change.

I was delighted to see the banning of the confederate flag at NASCAR events.

I am probably one of the few moderate politically leaning toward liberal NASCAR fans.

They may be late to the party but at least they are finally attending.

2 Likes

One of my friends and former co workers is very liberal And black and is a huge NASCAR fan. She used to have Jeff Gordon stuff up in her classroom. She must be ecstatic.

The next few months will be very revealing.

• when sports starts (especially Football :football: ) and we see more and more players taking a knee during the National Anthem
  • when NASCAR resumes sans Confederate Flags.

We’ll see how those Trump supporters respond. Do they follow their leader or will they support the players and managers that are now abandoning Trump’s direction

Jeff was Mom’s favorite too. Your friend was in good company

1 Like

@KKC to my understanding it is not appropriate for a corporation to involve itself in politics. Furthermore, Airbnb hosts themselves are probably one of the least racist people on Earth. Otherwise they wouldn’t be doing what they are doing. This is cheap marketing for Airbnb. More and more I question sanity of the CEO of Airbnb.

3 Likes

I don’t know what you mean. Corporations involve themselves in politics all the time. Some of them make a show of it for marketing purposes. For some it’s a core value. For all the big ones they tend to be quieter about it and don’t use it for marketing but funnel millions to PACs (Political Action Committees). These PACs donate to the candidates as well as employ lobbyists to pressure legislators and regulatory agencies for policies they want. This is an area you would do well to study up on.

As for it being marketing, well yes, I’ve said that. As for Chesky’s sanity, time will tell. Folks have been predicting the demise of Airbnb and questioning his leadership for years.

2 Likes

Which corporations are you aware of that DON’T involve themselves in politics @MarkP?

What do you think Airbnb does when it lobbies government for more relaxed STR regulations?

Why do you think that being an STR hosts intrinsically makes you less racist ?

Have you read some of the abhorrent racist comments Airbnb hosts say on host forums including this one?

2 Likes

If you are in the US you can follow the money at Open Secrets.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/toppacs.php

1 Like

Fast food posers.

It’s not so much that I care, I’m interested .
However, it does reflect one’s point of view in life lots of the time.

What!!! There are places in the world other than the US???
I must visit there sometime !!! Where ever ‘there’ maybe!! Woh!!
Btw-I’m not from the US either. Did you think I was? And I’m white- more pink and freckly really with a Celtic heritage- and my country is multicultural, where non First Nation peeps are from everywhere, which makes it a terrific melting pot of cultures -but not great for the First Nation people a lot of the time. So BLM here as well.
Otherwise, Just teasing you, explaining, asking and interested .