Airbnb Site Down, Heads Up

Airbnb is asking only for the measures that are currently advised by the World Health Organisation, the US Centres for Disease Control and whatever measures have been put in place at local levels.

I imagine that Airbnb would get a lot of flak if it didn’t.

1 Like

So, please inform us, what type of clown/idiot/right wing wanker/etc you are?

Asking for a friend…

JF

3 Likes

I would imagine that it only takes one guest complaint about booking with an anti-masker and Airbnb shuts that host down. This was obviously a glitch and the bookings reappeared but you never know with Airbnb.

1 Like

There’s also another factor to take into account. If Airbnb didn’t make recommendations as regards mask, cleaning, social distancing etc. can you imagine the lawsuits that could follow?

We all know that there are some weirdos amongst our lovely guest and host fraternity and can you imagine them saying “but Airbnb never told me that I should wear a mask. I’ll sue them”?

I’m sure that the recommendations the company makes are endorsed by its attorneys.

Furthermore, we all agree to their terms when we join. It’s no good moaning about it later.

6 Likes

He’s not that nice. However, this is not a support forum. Many hosts come here thinking that’s all we do and it’s not. There is plenty of criticism from fellow hosts
here. It’s best to have a thick skin.

There are a few legitimate reasons why a small minority of people can’t wear a mask for health or psychological reasons. However, I’m sure you are aware, if you live in the US, that being anti-mask has become code for a bunch of other stuff. I’m not ready to make a judgment about that but I will warn you that people who use this forum to push political conspiracy theories, engage in covid denial or otherwise promote dangerous anti-science baloney will have such posts deleted.

220k and counting are dead, millions have been ill in the US alone.

We aren’t playing.

6 Likes

KKC speaks the truth.(He once suggested his other half was a witch on a broom and he still lives.) Do not talk right wing politics on this forum as they will eat you alive. But if you can put aside the occasional “wear your big boy pants” drubbings, you will learn alot on this forum about hosting.

2 Likes

My default setting is “pleasant”, but never nice.

Fine, list your property elsewhere. I disagree with many things Airbnb do, but for once they’ve got it right.

Aye, and have you seen the death and infection rates in most of these states?

So, a “corporation” makes a blanket decision to try and protect both hosts and guests and you feel it’s inappropriate? Where have you been for the past six months, in a Republican bubble or Mars?

In my ever so humble opinion, my previously stated descriptors still apply.

Speaking in more general terms, if a host has an issue with masks and social distancing, I would not want to stay at your listing. To make things easier for me, and any other member with the slightest modicum of social responsibility, feel free to add your listing in this topic.

Signed, the forum Hotspot Hoster,

JF

6 Likes

Mask mandates are instituted because people refuse to comply with simple requests to wear masks. If people were responsible of their own volition, mandates wouldn’t even come into play. And there are very few people who “can’t wear a mask”. Even people with asthma can wear them for short periods of time.

Just like house rules- if all guests were respectful and behaved well in your home, there would be no need for house rules.

This “I can’t wear a mask” business reminds me of the people who claim their dog is a emotional support animal, when it clearly isn’t- they just want to be able to take Foofoo with them everywhere.

6 Likes

The problem is with us ‘older’ northern ‘British’ people, we say things like that all the time. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

You mean like asking the MiL if she’s filed a flight plan, any time she went near a brush (broom)?

JF

3 Likes

Absolutely agree. It’s good on a couple of levels. “Someone to blame” is the level for which I am currently thankful.
I’ve been doing self-check-in here, and it’s been great, but recent guests needed me to look at something, and I showed up in a mask. I would have worn a mask with or without Airbnb telling me, but it was nice to “blame” it on the company. At the first shocked look, I was able to tell the non-masked guests that Airbnb requires it of hosts, no worries, etc., so they didn’t take it as my criticism of them for not thinking of masks, or as my sheeple-ism, or whatever it was that might lose me stars. If Airbnb “makes” me wear a mask, the guests don’t know what side I am on, and they assume it is their side. I’m happy to let others (you, for instance) know what side I’m on, but nothing good comes from arguing with guests.

2 Likes

When I moved to the States, I didn’t realise that being able to drive a manual car (and I thought everyone could) was called being able to ‘drive stick’. So, and I worked at a car dealership so the subject came up often, when I was asked if I drove stick I thought it was referring to broomstick.

My dad used to call me an ‘evil little witch’ but he didn’t mean the ‘w’, he meant ‘b’.

Truly I know some jokes that I can only tell to my brother. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

No wonder you live. I thought it was the wife. My bad. Mother in law hostility is understandable and forgiven.

There is no argument here, no mask, no bed. Really simple. There are exceptions, but we would require proof, as the policia do also on the street here.

It’s the law.

It’s also the only reason we’ve managed to carry on hosting and earning a living, we have check in/out protocols in place and if a guest has an issue, they would cease to become a guest, immediately.

That said, every guest since we reopened in July has been totally with it. No problems and some even complimented our processes in their review.

JF

1 Like

There are settings, but I understand.

I’ll take care of it.

Pursuant to the former members request to do so, I deleted Susanlii. You all can discuss mask usage at your Airbnb if you’d like as a public service or perhaps starting a new thread would make more sense.

2 Likes

Um, you comfortable sharing that?

:wink:

JF

1 Like

I don’t have the backup (or the backbone?) for no mask, no bed. As we are remote, and not in a hotspot, although some of them are coming from hotspots, I don’t see them when they arrive, and they are in the woods. Fair enough. I’d like those guests to have worn a mask when they asked for my help, but as they didn’t, I blamed Airbnb. From 10 feet away. :slight_smile:

If you weren’t in the room with them for 15 minutes or longer/within 6 feet then you should be fine. I’m doing a fraction of the prior business and hardly see any of my guests. If I open the front door or stick my head out of it to greet them then I have a mask on. But if a guest said, I need help, the TV won’t work or something that I needed to go into the room for I wouldn’t do it without a mask or without them having masks. It’s just not worth it for $60 a night. I’m sure the anti maskers are already staying away from my home due to the obvious political content displayed on my listing.

5 Likes

Such meanies here! Now we can get back to the duvet/comforter arguments… :wink:

And the faded “Bernie 2016” sign in my living room window gives them fair warning.

2 Likes