Airbnb’s Newly Refreshed and Minimalistic Look 🏳️

I can’t believe they’ve removed the titles ?? !!! Mine is “Nextdoor to Stanford U” which is what all my guests were looking for. Now they’d have to go into the description to see this. Boy, did I mistake taking a break for a year. I should’ve taken that money and run. I’m not sure this is worth it anymore. Thanks so much for posting.

3 Likes

I thought I was the only one who saw a vagina… or a bedpan.

2 Likes

On the off chance that the listing titles won’t return, I have replaced my default photo with a new version. The new version has the important points that I wish to make about the listing in text. Won’t really be possible to read when they are looking at the tiles, but maybe this will help.

3 Likes

This may not have been a good idea. I am not longer searchable on the map or any other way. :frowning: Perhaps they are rebuilding the cache due to the change? I will test again in an hour.

I agree with you @konacoconutz. I know for a fact that my title is one of the things that causes guests to click on my listing and learn more about it. I flat out ask guests why they chose my listing, and many of them parrot the exact words in my title.

2 Likes

I like a larger font but there are so many aspects to the changes (hopefully proposed) that I do not like:

Not in any particular order but numbered for ease of reading:

1.) Removal of the title- We use this to draw the eye of our guests and highlight seasonal changes. Agreeing with other responders. We are not a hotel
2.) Removal of host’s photo- We are not a hotel and the host photo reaches out to the community
3.)My rural listings do not show the breakdown on the guests- ie: infant, or 2-12 year olds…is this a phased roll out going to the city listings first?
4.)Agree with another respondent regarding the removal of the line spaces in descriptions. We have a lot of description- some required by our insurance company. The spaces used to help make it readable when on line. The print out of it is terrible for the text is one massive blob. My guests who are LEP are lost in the text.

Love that room!!! Gorgeous, I think in another life I lived in a house like this. I am always drawn to them. :smiley:

1 Like

I doubt it simply because of the attrition rate. I’d love to know how many people decide to ‘try Airbnb’ and then drop out. As I travel around the internet, I’m automatically attracted by blogs, forums and websites that mention Airbnb and so many ‘new hosts’ are disappointed because the seem to believe that Airbnb had been breeding a new type of super-guest.

By this I mean hosts who complain that guests don’t take the trash out, guests who dare to leave bodily fluids on the sheets, those despicable guests who arrive at 3.15 when check in in at 3…

These hosts often have draconian house rules, they decline potential guests for some petty reason and don’t even bother to understand what the word ‘hospitality’ means. Of course, Airbnb encourages everyone to host (because I’m sure that after all these years they know full well what the host attrition rate is) by saying:

Almost anyone can be a host! It’s free to sign up and list your space.

Airbnb has not developed a super-guest but it does seem to have created super-picky hosts. Hopefully, and the internet seems to bear this out, these so-called hosts are dropping like flies. So those of us who are real hosts are really playing a waiting game at the moment and just treading water until those who are ‘trying Airbnb’ drop out.

And they do - when they realise the realities of hosting.

2 Likes

I am still gone from the map, and searches don’t find me either. AirBNB’s rep said “he sees mine” when he is anon and searches by IB, so I know that he is lying. I don’t show up when searching by IB if you aren’t logged in and don’t meet the criteria. Should be so hard to make AirBNB money with my space.

Find this little dance exhausting. May not be worth the effort.

Well said. I was about to post a similar take in another thread, but as usual you beat me to it. :grin:
If I was Airbnb I would put emphasis on the quality of the hosts first, which they have the most control of, by being very selective and put some emphasis on educating them from a business point of view, thus be that much more prepared to handle situations better when dealing with guests, which can be all over the place.

2 Likes

I am super annoyed with the way Airbnb is disregarding the needs of hosts. They are also disregarding the needs of guests. How does it make it easy for guests to find the best place for them when they 1) have taken titles off 2) default to only Instabook. I am in a special market–Palo Alto. It is not a vacation spot. People come here to to do business or to do something specific at Stanford University. The title they have removed told t hem I was next door to Stanford. How is it helping to take title off and have them wade through tons of listings to try and see if they’re close to Stanford? I realize that in some markets, the titles might have not really have been as useful, but why don’t the truly inept web developers give a choice to host – show title or no show title. How does it help guests to suppress my listing because I don’t do Instabook when they’re looking for a place to walk across the street for their Stanford activity. Airbnb cares about one thing only, the fees that come to them. I know a couple of tech journalists and I’m going to ask them who and what publication might want to expose Airbnb. A friend of mine suggested putting text on my photograph, so I’m trying it. What do you think? .

I’d have to hunt for it and I could be wrong but I think there is a clause in the Airbnb guidelines that say you cannot have text in your pictures.

1 Like

oh dear. @konacoconutz, any idea how to search for this clause?

I am pretty sure I saw this iin their TOS somewhere. I remember I was worried because one of my photos shows a sign that says “beach.” The penalty was harsh. Listing removal. Don’t have the time to look it up (have to clean) but I am positive now that I think about it. I did see this.

Yes, I’d always thought that too. I think it’s to discourage scammers who write on their images ‘contact me to book at xxx-xxx-xxxx’. In other words, ‘hosts’ who are trying to circumnavigate Airbnb’s fees.

They probably have some automated program on the website that detects text on images. So I wouldn’t risk it.

But apart from that, the text on the app will be tiny and unreadable so I don’t really see the point.

1 Like

I keep googling, and can’t find it. But that means almost nothing. I will search. You will clean. The Supermoon will shine.

Suggest a larger font. On a smart phone I cannot read it. But I need to do this as well. Our title really helps us as it tells prospective guests that we are located on the very special Old Mission Peninsula which is actually a bit away from Traverse City which airbnb listing location.

This is getting worse every week. A forced anti discrimination policy (when I would never do that based on race), IB screen coming up as a choice for the customer to default. And now our differentiating titles are eliminated.

What are they thinking???

Is the title back in the tiled search results for others as well?

My reply was to Chris.

A search of the TOS specifically doesn’t show anything either. Let me know if someone else finds this buried in their documents.