Airbnb’s Newly Refreshed and Minimalistic Look 🏳️

I was watching a Third Reich documentary last night and noticed that the IB symbol looks like the SS insignia. Sorry…it really does!

3 Likes

You can’t blame them the copy. It was just available inside the logos book.

http://thenextweb.com/dd/2015/09/07/30-year-belo/

1 Like

It’s not just the size that makes it easier for me to read. I can always zoom in. It’s the clean lines of the new font. I really like it.

Wow! How much did they pay their ad agency for a logo that’s been done before??

Their old logo was an ugly logotype but at least it was original.

1 Like

Research says that you have about 8sec to grab people’s attention on a website. With the new big font size, you are showed up with a description that looks never-ending. It seems like a legal contract, those visually unappealing that you can’t read and just sign.

For those that prefer big fonts for reading, there is a middle solution in which you can place a +/- widget in the body text to let the user zoom in/out accordingly. OF course, the browser zoom feature can accomplish the same thing but you can’t expect everyone in the world knows how it works. Besides the browser will zoom in every element in the page (even the headlines) and that might not be what you want.

@konacoconutz

On Blacklist, check Tom Keen’s neck tattoo when he was “on assignment” in Germany among the NeoNazis. It is sort of an IB symbol. Sad about that.

Is that for an acting role? Or ???
Yup it is the IB symbol all right!
Well, half of it.

@konacoconutz

Yes, he is an actor and although he does have tattoos he has disclaimed the Nazi ones he displayed for this role.

You made me drop a tear.
The old logo reminds me the old times before Airbnb started its war against hosts.

2 Likes

I too, am nostalgic for those days. How dare they write an email, sent with BS, ( I mean "love) introducing all these new restrictions and calling it “greater control” for hosts. In what universe is that greater control. One by one they will chip away at everything until only those of us willing to die “with the needle still in our arm” (thanks to @azreala for that reference) will be the only ones still left. So sad.

1 Like

Removing the title really devalues my listing. Now it looks like I am renting out a single room, not a suite of three rooms with a private bath. I am a bit high for a single room; way low for a full floor. The filters are hopeless since all that stuff we enter is not searchable. you can not search for private bath, or entire floor, or any of the other helpful metrics. To be honest, this may be one of the reasons that the number of guests is not increasing. Compared to the other sites, AirBNB’s search mechanisms are archaic. Plus, you can’t sort your list once it is presented based on any of the criteria either.

1 Like

I agree with all of you saying that the new look has stripped away the last essence of what Airbnb was. No host, no personal touch, now we are just a room and a price. Oh well.

Heh, you should see how listings are heavily commoditised where I live. I still doubt if all this change will help guests pick the right listing for them where the VR market is so saturated.

Nice how they tell the viewer how much traffic each listing has had in the past 7 days. Is this meant to help guests get pickier with their selections?

I’m sure you’re in a location where you might feel lost in the over saturation of vacation places. For many of us, like myself, we’re not in the heart of a vacation destination, so our guests tend to be a different sort and who aren’t “seasonal”. They just want a decent but cheaper than a motel place to get some sleep.

1 Like

Where are you located?

Tokyo. It has about 30,000 freaking listings.

1 Like

Wow! That’s scary. I’m in Buenos Aires and here we have about 11K listings which is a big number to handle for the city.

It is so different how Airbnb works in oversaturated vs undersaturated markets that it deserves an entire book to explain it better. Airbnb should watch the markets with more detail. You don’t want an undersaturated market because prices can go very high, but neither you should want an oversaturated market where prices can go down to the ground. Though guests love to get hostel prices, hosts have a really hard time trying to keep their places in good shape dealing with this low incomes.

I’m not saying that Airbnb should stop greeting new hosts in oversaturated markets, but that it should better inform them how many listings are (instead of the +300), how much is the average income, what is the average occupancy rate and so on. If you keep adding hosts to the list while the demand is steady, the quality of the listings will be affected as there will be no extra money to make the necessary maintenance tasks. And please, for the good sake, throw out all those ridiculous price suggestions.

1 Like

It would be interesting to know at what rate host numbers are growing for example in Tokyo (now 30k) and in Buenos Aires (11k). With so many listings, perhaps that helps to explain why it appears they are now putting more emphasis on guest satisfaction vs host. Do they now feel they have more than enough hosts, but not enough guests?

1 Like

That’s why I think Airbnb has a slightly different policy for each market. Like you implied, it’s different for each area, no? :smile: Airbnb has a different policy for each city ( or country, or whatever ) and some folks seem to rant about how they’re being treated unfairly.