Air Fryer-offer yes or no?

Just had my second booking inquiry asking if the rental offers an air fryer. My rental is close to ball tournaments fields.

I’ve gotten a two inquiries from a Mom bringing a child to a tournament, asking if I provide an Airfryer. I don’t.

Apparently it’s a popular thing now to help keep the cost of feeding a teenager down and to meet the need for quick & easy to use an Airfryer so if the host doesn’t provide one, bring it.

My first thought is not to offer one. It’s one more thing to not be cleaned by guest, break, or “go missing”. But I don’t know. Like a supportive office chair, do guests want/expect it?

What do you think? Do/will you offer an Airfryer?

1 Like

I have not have anyone ask. I am a drive to destination and I see people bringing in pots/pans cooking stuff all the time so if they want one I guess they would bring it.

RR

1 Like

This is a definite no from me. The reason is because they circulate so much air and it fills the house with a lot more smells than traditional cooking. Our very first guest group brought one with them and used it. Luckily, the smell wasn’t unpleasant, but it was everywhere and took a couple weeks to fully dissipate. I can’t imagine what it would be like if a guest cooked something that might be smell unpleasant, like fish.

BTW, I have one at my own house, but we only use it outside on the patio.

3 Likes

When I first started my Airbnb rental four years ago, I really didn’t offer much. As guests asked about items, I purchased them. First guest, “do you have Wifi.” Me, “of course!” Then a mad rush to get Wifi. LOL Same with BBQ, kayaks, etc. So I would say, get the air fryer, guests will appreciate it. They’re dishwasher safe.

1 Like

NOT ALL AIRFRYERS ARE DISWASHER SAFE!

Mine sure isn’t! I like my countertop Airfryer-Oven. But even if my listing had a kitchen (which it doesn’t) I would not offer one. Or an Instant-Pot, crock-pot or other magic kitchen appliances more than a coffee pot and toaster. Each one has different use instructions and a guest is bound to not follow them and mess things up – then blame your gadget. Stick to conventional pots and pans is my professional chef’s advice.

5 Likes

Thank you for your input.

Like at @RiverRock I’m a mostly drive to destination so guests can bring their own.

I appreciate @KenH ‘s suggestion to stick with providing pots & pans. I now provide nice stainless steel cookware and small & large non-stick fry pans. Every year I must replace the non-stick pans due to guest abuse/misuse.

I’m not adding an Airfryer at this time. However @Ritz3 had a valid point about accommodating guest request so if I may change my mind if I get more requests.

I was just researching these, so timely question for me. I had read that they were LESS smelly than other appliances so it was interesting to read that they aren’t. I think what I’ll do is get one for myself, first, and then decide.

Would it be possible to report back here your findings?

@Rolf
It may depend on the brand/model. Compared to sautéing, pan frying & deep fat frying, my Airfryer is less smelly.

I have the midsize (12 qt) Emeril Lagasse rotisserie Airfryer. The rotisserie can accommodate a slightly over 4 lb tightly trussed chicken.

Also some people are more sensitive to smells.

I’d be happy to but we are in the midst of 3 house renovations and a move so it’s unlikely it will be anytime soon.

Both our apartments have full kitchens (though small) and I agree that even the most inept guests know how to use a pan but adding anything more complicated is asking for trouble.

Adding extras into your rental is simply adding something else that will break / need cleaning / require servicing / be misused / nicked etc. as @Annet3176 says.

I’ve had guests in the past who have had to be shown how to use a cafetiere so to provide anything more complicated goes against the grain.

Mind you, people rarely do much cooking at all when they come here.

P.S. We do supply electric kettles though… :rofl:

2 Likes

I hear, from various sources, that they heat water well.

:wine_glass:

JF

4 Likes

Never heard of it ? :grin::grin::grin::grin:

That would be me :sunglasses:. I agree if something is unfamiliar it will probably not be used correctly

Adding various kitchen gadgets add a further layer to the cleaning process, especially if you do get the guest who has never used it before, but decides to make a gallant attempt and in the process leaves it in a right state.

As regards complexity, in our kitchens it’s a toss up between the stovetop espresso maker and the toaster. We’ve had guests ask about various things, juicers, bread maker etc, and the answer is always no.

We may have lost the odd booking over this, but from memory most have carried on and booked, and managed to survive without whatever gadget they initially felt was sooo important.

JF

1 Like

I watch for almost-new nonstick pans at yard sales, and the utensils upstairs are all bamboo or silicone. The two summers before shutdown none of the pans, glasses, or dishes were damaged.

The $15 yard sale Keurig serves coffee with no mess. Signs remind guests they can only use one of microwave/toaster/electric kettle/Keurig at once, and where the circuit breaker is.

1 Like

I just looked over my set and the frying pans need to be replaced. They take the brunt of the abuse it seems.

The guests I was cleaning up after were my messiest/most entitled in awhile. They stacked the dishes in the dishwasher in a way that ensured they would not get clean. The rest of the dishes (I think they used 90% of everything) was in the drying rack with a film of grease on just about all of it. I mean there were 4 adults how do you get through life like this?

Happily this type of guest is the exception not the rule I guess I was due to clean up after a group of adult babies this week.

I am considering removing stuff now, 6 people 6 plates. 6 forks… At least there will be less to deal with!

RR

2 Likes

We did that on reopening way back in July last year. We mention why we did it to guests on check in, so far no complaints, only positive comments.

JF

1 Like

Like @JohnF , we’ve always done this too. In our case, it’s 4 of everything. Both apartments sleep two people so if they don’t do the dishes after breakfast, they’ll be okay for lunch but before dinnertime, they’ll need to get cracking on the washing up.

2 Likes

This is how I have it in my small cabin, partly out of necessity as to not overcrowd the small space. It is very tidy this way.

2 Likes