Aggressive and rude young mother

You definitely were lucky. I used to babysit a lot for few years and only once I met an amazing baby who never cried. never fussed and all smiles. The rest of babies were hands full.

Guests have an obligation to read and understand House Rules BEFORE they check-in.

Sorry, mothers are not “special adults”. They do not get a free out for doing stupid shit like putting their child down on the bed without any protection. Or leaving doors wide open. Or leaving panties on a running towel dryer and leaving the house. Or tossing filthy diapers in with all the usual trash. Or … just being a disrespectful bitch, tired or not.

I hope the Guest was reviewed accordingly, starting with “Would NOT Host Again”.

9 Likes

I think mother’s with babies are special adults as well as pregnant women. I would treat both categories differently Vs a man or not pregnant woman or a woman with teenagers. We were not there and we don’t know how it was handled by host. We just hear here one side of the story . What is the big deal anyway that she left panties in a dryer. I find socks and t-shirt and panties and other things in a dryer , under bed , in a bed, in a bathroom .

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your comprehension, Jefferson.

Yes, the guest was reviewed accordingly with the help of Muddy & KenH.

<<CANNOT RECOMMEND Диана. She and her family arrived 4 hours early to drop off a small mountain of luggage. She was VERY rude and neither she nor her husband has any notion of personal hygiene (dirty diapers, dirty baby stools stained the mattress cover, unwashed hands, and more). She refused to listen to instructions on operating the AC/Heat unit, WiFi, locks, cooker, microwave etc. stating that she shouldn’t have to be “bothered” with house rules or instructions. Then messaging me late at night because she couldn’t figure things out. Blasted the heating, running up a bill three times the normal. Place left with lots of smelly diapers in an open garbage bag, a burnt pot full of food, plenty of dirty dishes in the fridge containing partly eaten food. She was a most inconsiderate guest who behaved unacceptably. Definitely NOT recommended.>>

1 Like

Having a baby is no excuse to be aggressive, rude or disrespectful of other people’s property. A lot of people seem to think that it is and that is the main reason why we don’t allow babies or children.

4 Likes

I don’t accept children too in my house because I know it will be more work for me and noise etc. But on pool house I do an I am prepared to deal with extra cleaning and something going out of usual situation when only adults are present .

Instead of using the dryer to dry her panties, she put them on the towel dryer and turned it on at its maximum (29°C) which was burning hot, while leaving the 2 entrance doors wide open. With the 2 entrance doors and the bathroom door wide open, the bathroom temperature can never reach 29°C and the towel dryer was heating really hard.

Wow .I think she is majorly disorganized. You of course can review her how it is . Poor desorganized people …Airbnb is not a place for them for sure…better go to hotel where they know how to deal with folks like that

I know why she put them.on towel.dryer . Because in her country there is a " battery" that heats the house and we used to dry socks and undies there.

I love babies and families with babies never posed any problems before. But this young mother has really disgusted me. I don’t even ask for a supplement for babies under 2. I have to bring up all the baby amenities (travel cot, cot mattress, changing mat, baby linen, high chair & kid’s chairs) from the basement 2 floors below… Won’t accept babies under 2 any more.

But with good sense, we don’t leave entrance doors wide open when a heater is on.

Wow … how totally hypocritical. So it seems that mothers are ONLY special when YOU choose? And at our expense. How lovely.

1 Like

Guests don’t care about your costs.
They leave the AC/ heater on all day, they have paid - not their problem!
Leave doors open on departure- they have left, not their problem!
Leave trash everywhere… they paid a fee, not their problem.

Why is it hypocritical? I am not saying that every host should àccept family with children but If they do then prepare that something will be a bit off. That’s why many hosts don’t want to host young families. Most likely this young rude mother wouldn’t be so rude if she was without her baby at that moment .
Every situation is unique…people under stress become distracted, disorganized and forgetful.

Miyima, You are welcome! They were clearly awful.

Please find below my suggested review. Remember - people don’t read - keep it very short and avoid opinions (“rude”).

My Version of Review:
Would Not Host Again. Диана violated many house rules. Left heat on with the doors wide open. They left our stay filthy and smelly. Diaper stains on the bed. Burnt cookware and un-wrapped diapers in kitchen. Do not recommend.

1 Like

Hypocritical is applying a “double standard”. It is hypocritical that you will not rent to them in all your properties due to “too much noise and cleaning”.

Your Words: “They are Special”, and “We need to give them a break”. And we should be understanding because “she was under stress”, etc.

It is hypocritical to take the guests side across the board here, defending her behavior and actions, while turning away mothers from an entire property that you own.

1 Like

I can also be very direct (maybe it’s in my DNA- three of my grandparents were also Russian) but there is a difference between being rude and entitled and being direct. Personally, I don’t put much stock in people being “nice” and polite as much as how they behave. There are plenty of people who seem really nice, but turn out to be anything but. A guest saying they shouldn’t have to be bothered to be informed of the house rules, or how to work things, only to turn around and bother the host later because they refused to pay attention in the first place I consider rude and entitled, I don’t see where “direct” enters into it.
That said, I think hosts should be mindful to not overload guests with too much information when they first arrive- many guests have had lengthy travel time, may be tired, hungry and in need of a shower, or somewhat disoriented if they have arrived from a foreign country. As a home host, when a guest first arrives, I just let them know how things work in their bedroom/bathroom, then leave them to unpack, shower and relax before going through the orientation tour in the kitchen with them, letting them know how the door locks work, etc.
An off site host wouldn’t really be able to do that, but could surely come up with ways to impart information that doesn’t make the guest feel overwhelmed.
It’s hard to absorb a lot of information when one is tired, trying to get their bearings in a new place, and if they have been staying at other Airbnbs, may get confused about rules at one place as compared to another.

2 Likes

I’ve never gone through ‘the rules’ with guests. (Mainly because I don’t really have any except the usual no smoking no parties thing).

I like to meet my guests and I like to do the house tour. But it’s really more of a getting-to-know-you thing and to answer any questions they might have. Also to show them the note with the internet password, the treats left for them, the beach towels so they don’t take the lovely white bath towels to the beach with them etc.

It often takes about ten minutes (because I talk a lot) but it can take just a couple of minutes if I can tell that the guests are impatient to have a nap / go to the loo / get changed / eat / shower/ have a glass of wine/ etc.

Reading about the scenario above, we only have a precis of what went on so none of us can really judge the host or the guest.

The guest didn’t sound pleasant but the host sounds impatient and inflexible. (Note sounds). It might be that there were faults on both sides and that there was a clash of personalities and / or a misunderstanding between different cultures.

The OP has posted the review that she left for the guest above. Personally, I think it makes her sound like an angry and emotional person - other hosts will definitely disagree and think that the review is perfect. It’s all a good example of how we’re all different.

1 Like

It wasn’t in a dryer…it was hanging on a towel warmer, turned up to maximum heat.

1 Like

No it’s not. My point is :: do not host babies if you can’t handle them . Do not host pets if you can’t handle them . But If you do be patient a bit more with their little nuisances. We are not hotels and we can choose who to host with Airbnb.
I am sure that mother was not the most pleasant person on earth at that moment but her distractivness and not paying attention has an excuse: baby. Again none of us was there …we don’t know how it was handled by host but the fact that host wanted to cancel reservation and send these guests on another hunt for another appartment with a tiny baby doesn’t sit well with me .

2 Likes