Accessibility features, photos

I went through the accessibility options when I created the listing in December 2018. I took measurements, and checked all of Airbnb’s pre-defined features that applied. I just got an e-mail from Airbnb this morning that says I have to add photos for every accessibility item I have checked or they will be removed. I haven’t had any guests that needed accessibility features and there really aren’t any features that aren’t inherent to the design of the house, except for one disguised grab bar I added. Should I bother updating everything again with measurements and photos or just remove them all?

1 Like

If you have all the business you want, skip it. If you are trying to max out every possible advantage in a competitive market I’d add the pictures. Is is worth even one more booking a year to take the time? If yes I’d do it.

2 Likes

Yeah they jacked mine up, too. I have to re-do all the pictures in November and those shots are on the list. My house is very accessible once you get up the porch steps and those features being removed from my listing bugs me.

PS, you say you haven’t had guests who need the features, but how would you really know?

I’m not going to bother, I got the same email today.

Unless they tell you… I’ve had one who was a cancer patient ask about the parking and any steps. Another told me it would be nice to have a shower bench. A few other older women have told me they really like the way things are set up and that they feel very comfortable. But I don’t know what explict features they’re referring to.

As I told Brian, if it even gets you one booking in this environment it’s probably worth your time. (unless your time is worth a lot more than mine is, and it probably is, lol) It’s not just the “disabled” of course, it’s the aging baby boomers. One can see from looking at all the disabled parking spots being filled what’s coming. There’s a reason Airbnb bought out Accomable.

I have often wished the compliments badges we get came with more information. I’ve noticed the “thoughtful touches” compliments tend to come from the female guests. Is this because I have left feminine products in the bathroom, have hairspray and gel there, and installed the same lux vanity mirror for myself there that I have here, which I ordered for myself after staying in a lux resort that had one years ago? I wish I knew what the “thoughtful touches” are so I can do more of them … or, I’ll just keep doing me. :slight_smile:

But back to the OP, a host would never know if I booked your place because of “accessibility” features. You’d certainly never know by looking at me that I have any sort of physical limitation and I’m not “disabled”. However, I have certain needs that would put your place ahead of the competition if those features stood out to me when looking. So, the point I’m making is accessibility features aren’t only being looked at by people who have obvious disabilities.

5 Likes

Most of the accessibility features are (or were) very specifically tailored toward wheelchair accessibility. I saw the interface for editing accessibility features has changed, but I haven’t gone through it to see what else changed.

1 Like

The features are not necessarily WC related:

• Well lighted path to the entrance pertains to people with low vision, which is most of the population over a certain age.
  • No stairs or steps to enter - applies to me (if the stairs are very steep), I have a balance impairment. You can’t see it. I look very fit.
  • Flat path to guest entrance. Same as above.
  • Wide entrance for guests. Can relate to persons with bariatric needs.
  • Extra space around the toilet. Can pertain to persons who need to deal with ostomy supplies, or have other reasons to need to be assisted on the toilet.

I could go on, but there is much more to accessibility than accommodating persons in wheelchairs.

2 Likes

So true! I’m not disabled but I’m in my sixties, have had both knees replaced, have had two disc surgeries on my lower back, and just had rotator cuff surgery. I look for AirBnBs with comfortable furniture, a seat or chair in the shower, and a handheld shower head…and I can almost NEVER find all three things in one listing.

2 Likes

Easiest thing in the world to install. Only thing here is not much in the way of comfortable furniture. It’s a one night stop and drop. Come visit anytime! Special rate for forum members.

3 Likes

I know! Handheld shower heads are super easy to install… and grab bars aren’t far behind in ease of installation. I’ve got grab bars in all bath tubs, and handheld shower wands in two bathrooms. I’m only waiting for the current tenants to leave before putting them in the other two bathrooms.

Handheld shower wands are an easy way to make your AirBnB stand out. Only 7 places (out of all listings of all types in our area) have handheld shower heads.

2 Likes

Duh moment.

I’m sitting here thinking I’m going to have to go to bed now. I wanted to wait up for my guest who has a dog an was on a very long drive today (2-3x what most people would do). And then I thought…what if she doesn’t want me to wait up? How many people have waited years for a way to go stay somewhere along the road that didn’t ask them to talk, show ID, etc. Wouldn’t it be great to just book online after having entered info once and then be done?

Whether a guest is shy, on the spectrum, or has a handicap, I’m sure there are guests who just don’t want to talk to us and it doesn’t mean they have any negative intent.

Am I wrong?

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with you, but I am somewhat familiar with the ADA I can see that most of Airbnbs 27 accessibility features/amenities were written very specifically for wheelchair accessibility.

2 Likes

No doubt about it. Furthermore, I would bet there will be very, very few AirBnBs able to provide wheelchair accessibility. But there are other features guests will look for in the accessibility section that are important to them although they aren’t in wheelchairs.

3 Likes

@Brian_R170 you have two hosts telling you, we are not wheelchair bound and we look at accessibility features when renting rooms. Do what you choose with that information.

1 Like

Nope, you’re not wrong. Often after a long day’s drive (I road trip a lot), I don’t even want to speak to the person at the hotel reservation desk. I want to wash my face and hands, pour a drink, and watch stupid TV.

4 Likes

I added all the accessibility photos, it took a little time but not a huge bother. Since it’s an efficiency suite, I used a lot of the same photos over and over (“entrance to the bedroom” = the entrance to the rental unit, etc.) I concur I get guests who are not by definition disabled, but for whom it would be difficult to drag suitcases up steps or who find it easier to navigate a bath with grab bars.

3 Likes

According to that message, 125k listings have accessibility features. There must be some kind of official parameter for this. And it seems to be limited to physical disabilities.

We provide a haven for recovering alkies, addicts, women in peril, 12 step members, and people who have been traumatized. And it has worked very well!

1 Like

I’m glad that you are welcoming to people in recovery.