Accessibility features, photos

Me too! It has been great. All of us have a disability here, and it has been a bit of s magnet. Cheers!

Nope you’re not wrong. I often book hotels instead of Airbnbs if I don’t think I’ll be in the mood to chat (arriving late or after a long trip). I know the idea is to show me where stuff is and how things work but if I’ve just come off the road or a long flight, but because I’m tired and I’m meeting you for the first time (disorienting for me), I probably won’t remember anything you say at that point anyways. I think it makes the host feel better, so I always politely listen if I’m not able to avoid them :woman_shrugging: As a guest, I’d rather you leave good instructions if something is not intuitive and then check-in with me through a message or text, preferably the next morning. I like to be looked-after, just not face to face as I’m ending my travels.

I do meet most of my guests, even if briefly and “incidentally” (I just happened to be coming up from the basement) but not if they are coming later, after dark approximately. If it seems like they are not excited to meet me I excuse myself very quickly and check-in with them later.

1 Like

@Brian_R170 You are right. They are all for mobility impairments and primarily for W/C accessibility. The measurement of the doorways is not for people with obesity. The 32 in measurement is specific to wheelchairs. I bring it up because it bothers me so much that it’s all mobility focused. Leave it to Airbnb to make their accessibility features discriminatory. They do mention a well-lit path to entrance but that’s the only vaguely low-vision feature that’s mentioned - and they seem to be including it as a mobility feature anyways. I’m an Occupational Therapist and used to do accessibility consults and could deck out my apartments for the visually impaired, hearing impaired, people with arthritis, people with cardiopulmonary issues, dementia, parkinsons etc, etc but it’s impossible for me to make my house W/C accessible so I don’t tick anything off. I do have hand-held shower heads but I don’t mention them because it looks silly over there as the only accessible feature and I don’t want to mis-represent my place as accessible (guests don’t read).

I would be interested in having more features that appeal to folks dealing with various conditions that might be defined as a disability. For example, based on this thread, I’ll probably add a lighted magnifier so more people can easily read the welcome book, maps and brochures. Any other suggestions?