A Sad Day no mood to make fun of you all

You will BECOME brave and intrepid, @faheem. This hosting lark does it to us in the end :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Isn’t that necessary/inevitable, though? What other option is there? We aren’t born knowing how to be perfect Airbnb hosts, after all. They also don’t teach that at university, as far as I know…

1 Like

LOL. I hope so. I could do with some bravery and intrepidness.

Ooh. Living life on the edge. I like that. Me, I’m the (mildly) neurotic overpreparing type. Though life still throws you curveballs you’re not prepared to deal with.

Yup… my learning curve was putting out new towels that had not been washed… and the guests noticed! Luckily this was when reviews were still civil and they mentioned it privately.

However, I daresay our learning curves are probably pretty small compared to Miss Chen’s. ;)_

3 Likes

My young padawan, learn she will.

I started renting the island when I still had only an inflatable to take guests to it! (Well not really, but trust me, only slightly much better).

The first requirement of being a successful host I am assuming is to come across at least somewhat ~rational~. (glaring at Chen).

1 Like

AirBnB has also had a learningcurve for me.

In our region it is not standard to supply guests with towels when they rent an holiday appartement.
So in the beginning we got a few remarks, now we supply them for free.

1 Like

@Chen_Susanne changed her listing. She raised the price but lowered the extra person charge to $59 a person AFTER 2. So it would be less expensive for two people than previously. She slightly raised the security deposit. I don’t know why, maybe she got a new luxury coffee cup.

Chen I think you are lurking so I’ve got some suggestions for you. It occurred to me that someone looking at your listing would think they are staying with a gay male couple with a baby. Only the husband is pictured and you refer to a husband and of course, with the name Munich you can’t tell a gender. I don’t see any reference to your gender. So, in my experience when people are somewhat coy about this, it’s a signal that it is a gay relationship. Maybe you are fine with that, I certainly am. But when you start getting the gay male couples with children booking your space, don’t be surprised. (<----This is supposed to be a joke.) Babysitting available for a price, that’s a nice amenity. It is still listed as “entire home or apartment.” This needs to be changed to “private room” like you have it on Wimdu. When people search one of the first things that comes up is what kind of accommodation the guest wants. That means people who have searched looking for an entire, not shared, space will get your listing. Eventually you are going to get someone who didn’t read all of your very long listing and are thinking they get the whole place. And those pictures…the terrace is ugly and it’s not always available since the door into your space is locked at certain hours. Then next are kitchen pictures. You should put the bedroom pictures first since that’s what they are renting.

What about when the listing said 4 beds? Are there 4 beds in the room? Or is it the two single beds (side by side) and the futon?

She counts air mattresses and “floor mattresses.” I can’t imagine 6 “rich” people staying in that one room.

1 Like

She is trying to understand what we are talking about, of that I can attest. Based on that reality, I would suggest to @Chen_Susanne: Ask questions, believe, adapt, but above all realize you are in a different culture… It is hosting which requires finesse, smooth communication and charm, it is not a street bazaar where you are selling a product where an aggressive haggling manner is usually the order of the day.

What’s more last time I looked (she keeps changing it) the room was $117 per night with extra guests after the first being $70. So 70x5 is 350. Add the first guest at 117 and it would be $467 for six people.

And two of them would have to sleep on the airbed.

The security deposit is shown to be $703! Now I know that everyone’s idea of luxury differs but I really can’t see the luxury aspect at all. Mind you, at least she has an electric kettle and a ‘teepot’. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First time I looked I think it was $87 a night but $69 for every person over 2 =$156 for 2. Anyway, it’s way too expensive for just a private room with en-suite. There are other places that are truly stand alone apartments where you don’t have to schedule use of the kitchen for the same or less. Also I’d like to stay in a place where I can talk loudly and not worry about if other people could understand what I’m saying :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As long as she has an Electric kettle!!

1 Like

@Chen_Susanne we all believe you are a host and in much need of advice if you are going to run a successful Air business. However, you catch more bees with honey than vinegar. Im sure everyone here would be more than happy to help you if you changed the tone of your requests :+1:t3:

1 Like

She is following this thread, because she already made some of the suggested changes.
Good of you @Chen_Susanne

Only thing you have to look at is the sleeping arrangements, they are confusing and do not match the description.

I would just put in the 2 singles and the sofabed as in your description (and pictures), and leave the rest out. Also the remove the beds in the common spaces.

1 Like

Yes. I think it would be ridiculous to put 8 people in that one small room so maybe she is saying if there were that many they could sleep in the common space. The best thing is that she lowered her prices to be competitive with other similar listings. Maybe since she doesn’t have a single booking on air or wimdu she realized we were right. She also restored her picture and changed her name to a name. See @Chen_Susanne, that wasn’t that painful was it?

There are many other small improvements to make, but small steps.

Eventually Chen will end up with a nice listing, and hopefully plenty of bookings.

3 Likes

Another suggestion would be to write the listing in German versus English, since her English isn’t that great. It may come across less robot like.

1 Like