Here we go…
I think there is definitely a market for this: In fact I have been worrying for months about how much time it was going to take me to put together a nice personalized city map with our favorites for our new place. In the past we used the official tourist map to explain things to guests, but this is a much easier way to guide them to “our” places.
As you are looking for feedback, you are probably aware that the software isn’t a 100% yet.
- No way to save my map . This is really troublesome when making the map for the first time, but is also a problem when my favorite restaurant closes down or I discover a new bar in the future, and I want to make a new map. I will have to do everything over again. In that case I’m quicker off photoshopping the jpeg you provided .
- Very annoying is the fact that I can’t put my favorites in another order. I put them all in the list and at number 20 I realized I had forgotten one between number 1 and 2. I had to delete everything and basically start over again. When I realized this, I made a list on paper first.
- US$ 25,00 for a jpeg of a map I would like to update maybe twice a year, is WAY too expensive. You should at least distinguish between printed maps and digital maps.
- The colors are nice, but more possibility to personalize would be better. Since I couldn’t decide on the colors offered, I just downloaded the 4 versions. Given the steep price, you could offer digital customers all versions for the price of 1.
- Only one color option, shows parks (green) in a different color, while these are major orientation points on an abstract map.
- The zoom function isn’t gradual enough, certainly taking into account that it all has to fit in perfectly in the predetermined graphic design.
- The graphic design isn’t flexible enough. I was VERY VERY lucky that the main attractions in my district are to be found in a triangle that perfectly fits between the circle and my favorites. If the triangle would have a NW-SE orientation instead of a NE-SW orientation, I would have been totally F#%&$D and your product would have been useless to me. Title, circle, house rules, favorites should be more flexible in size and placing on the map.
- I didn’t put in any house rules. That map is about having fun, not about being ruled. I put in a nice frase instead.
- OUR PRIVACY: You got my name, email address, and listing address. I sure as hope you are not going to abuse that information.
- I didn’t put in the url since we will have different listings on the same address, and with time we will probably publish them on several platforms.
- When favorites are close to each other, the circles (with numbers) overlap making it unreadable.
- My second favorite wasn’t listed, but I was smart enough (probably not everyone is), to pass by FourSquares and put it in there. You should include this advice or option: “If you don’t find your favorite here, register them first on Four Squares. You will find them here immediately after.”
- Favorites should also be possible OFF-map, with an arrow indication direction and distance close to the side of the map. (That’s how Lonely Planet does it in their maps and I think it’s great.)
- Some favorites have too long names on FourSquare and therefor ruin my layout. I could double register them, but I was too lazy to do that.
- Instead of a small house to indicate where our listing is, I would like the option of a hearth. (Home is where the hearth is.)
- I’m wondering if it’s ok for a map to not have 1 single street name on it. Don’t people need at least the names of the biggest streets to orientate themselves. As I look at it, I can imagine that the map is still very (too) abstract for a first time visitor. And just imagine a city with streets on a strict grid pattern, the map will become totally unmanageable without street names.
If I think of anything else, I’ll let you know. And please do feel free to send me a code for a large poster through private message . I would love to hang one of your posters next to the dining room table. Thanks!
BTW: My 4 posters arrived with everything showing. Congratulations on your idea / product !