A guest hacked part of my garden and stole cuttings

Unfortunately I’m not sure what guessed it was. The room has a huge private garden outside mostly all succulents and cactus off to the side in an area that is not noticed as much as I was walking by I noticed about 40 succulent heads have been cut and taken! I’m not positive who did it but if I could guess who it was it would be this one asshole from Arizona that was somewhat difficult but I can’t prove it. I had bought cameras but did not put them up as I was test running them to figure out how they work. I mean honestly if they had just asked me for cuttings I probably would’ve given it to them as that particular kind I have hundreds of and don’t really care for that much but just the fact that they help them self to not one but over 40 cuttings is really annoying I guess I need to get the cameras up.

5 Likes

So sorry this happened to you. YES get the cameras up.

2 Likes

Yes to both of these. And if you can find a nice sign for outside that warns/reminds the guests about the camera it will help to deter bad behavior.

Your garden sounds fabulous!

2 Likes

How awful!! Could it possibly have been other succulent thieves, non-guests? Or not, based on access to your property? I’ve read that cacti stealing is a big problem in some parts of U.S.

1 Like

I’m busted. :upside_down_face:

How do you know it was a guest and not a local? Is the garden accessible only to guests?

To be honest, I don’t think it was a human. Sounds like some little critter got into your garden and had a feast. Do you have Jack rabbits in your area?

Nobody can get onto my property it’s gated with High fencing. You can’t even access the garden from the street it’s far away. I’m positive it was not craters because the heads were taken they weren’t left on the ground and the way it was cut,Very clean cut like somebody had brought tools garden tools.In my personal backyard which is fenced and no one has access to I have had animals cut the heads off however the heads are just left on the ground these were taken. Also it’s very obvious where they were taken from was a hidden corner of the garden that is not that noticeable so that’s a perfect spot for a thief to cut I just happened to be walking by that area and noticed it.

3 Likes

Geez. It’s a new kind of low. I hate these little reminders that people can be like that. I would have to sage the place after this. I’m so sorry this happened to you.

3 Likes

People, just people. Such a sense of entitlement. After all they paid you rent, let’s take the plants and maybe the extra TV, surely you have so much you don’t need it and won’t miss it :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

What would they do with them? Can you plant the cuttings and make new cacti?

Yes, that’s exactly why you would want cactus cuttings.

1 Like

A sold house in a posh neighbourhood is open season for gardeners.

If your last guests were within driving distance I would be suspicious.

1 Like

As usual, the guest wanted “value” for money…which is why they leave the Aircon / heating on unnecessarily, take towels, steal decor items, swap pillows, think any early / late check in/out is OK, sneak in extra guests, bring their pet for free…and now free garden plants!

1 Like

You may just want to move on (and that may be best), but if you took pics and sent them to your local TV consumer investigative reporter, Airbnb may feel it is in their best interest to offer compensation (cost of some new plants) even if you can’t specifically ID the culprit. The sad decapitated succulents could be, unfortunately, a visual that the station is interested in.

1 Like

I’m guessing there is a sign in the making

4 Likes

The sign will be quite visible on the corner now that the succulent heads have been trimmed down!

Signs or cameras yes I guess I have to. Unfortunately when people steal outside of the room from the garden you don’t notice it until later so you really are not sure who stole. In my garden are used to have a beautiful giant purple geode one day I’m walking through my garden watering and suddenly I realize it’s gone somebody stole it. It’s sad when you can’t put beautiful things out because you think they’re going to get stolen I put them out there for everybody to enjoy and there’s always one jerk that wants to steal. I know who stole it though but I can’t prove it. It was a guest who I think was under eviction it was the same day reservation that is a red flag let me tell you also when they come from a city close by when they’re from the area that’s also a red flag they are under eviction. She was a real problem I couldn’t get her to leave I had to literally take her laundry and give it to her check out was 11 o’clock she didn’t leave till almost 1 PM the room was messy and there were some things that were missing which Air Bnb did send me money for but I have a pretty good idea she’s the one that took that geode. You know I have had guests actually ask me for a few cuttings and I’m fine with that I don’t give them the valuable rare ones I give the ones that I have hundreds of and I don’t really care for it’s no skin off my back besides with succulents when you cut one you end up getting a bunch more. So if that thief would’ve just asked me for succulents I would’ve given it to them anyway.

2 Likes

Somebody is asking for atrocious karma with the act of stealing succulent cuttings.

2 Likes

Which is why it’s a particularly low act. In my experience as a perpetual novice, real gardeners are almost always extremely generous with cuttings, seedlings and advice when you ask them. No need to steal.

4 Likes

I’m sorry @justMandi, but I have been trying and I’ve re-read everything and can’t figure out what your reply to me means. I’m thinking maybe it was for someone else?

1 Like