18 year old request to book

To our benefit.

I’ve got my 22 day guy here now and he had a drinking buddy (I guess that’s all he is, the wife is working in Austin and this guy is stuck here in the military :wink: ) spend the night. It sort of caught me off guard since the room is small and there is no real lounge space. But there’s no harm done and why would I expect someone here for 22 nights to have no visitors?

2 Likes

Or a f**k buddy… Ah, my days in the Navy… lol

I have a dirty mind!

RR

And it amazes me that they do. And I’ve been asked in the past how it is that I have back-to-back guests in two apartments…

I think it’s pretty obvious really as I have no problem with guests who are:

• Teenagers
  • Local
  • Devoid of reviews
  • With no photo
  • With no completed bio
  • Obviously lover-and-much-younger-mistress
  • Discount-seekers (not that I comply!)
  • Travelling with animals (except dogs thanks to the HOA)

And other stuff that other hosts don’t like. And I’ve only once in many years had to kick a guest out. I’ve had plenty of weirdos though, that’s for sure :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, that’s basically what I was insinuating too. Jokingly I guess. Nunnamybizness.

1 Like

Like the guy here who assumed I managed multiple properties just because I have over 500 reviews. And then dragged me when I shared my listing. What a jerk.

4 Likes

I remember him. We seem to attract them :rofl:

1 Like

I am good with most of those guests as well.

Discount seekers have all been a PITA so far, can I have a late checkout? Yes, 2 hours for $45 Can I check in early? Yes, $20 an hour once the unit is ready… I just know to manage them differently.

RR

RR

2 Likes

I am fine with 18 or 19 year olds on their own. Couples occasionally if they are, for example, local students whose dorms closed down.

Re: drinking, the penalties for having underage drinking or minor-in-possession on our properties vary by state and you can be prosecuted. See:

Other states are very strict in this regard and will impose criminal charges on adults who knowingly serve, sell, give, or allow alcohol consumption by minors on their property. If a minor is injured or killed as a result of the adult contributing to the delinquency of the minor, the adult may face civil and criminal charges. Some jurisdictions will even charge adults if drinking is occurring on their property while they are not home.

I had a 19-year-old drinking unbeknownst to me, Fireball (cinnamon whisky) in my listing, which I found upon flipping the room and when he came back to pick up his luggage, we had a conversation about the legal jeopardy he had put me in. Himself in, as well.

EDIT: so re:

Suggest you check Calif. law on this point, to protect yourself, in case at this point, you “knowingly” allowed alcohol consumption and face the possibility of criminal prosecution. Depending on what Calif. says on the matter.

Key word there is KNOWINGLY

Like I said, If I saw them carrying in beer knowing they were underage I would intervene. But What about the other guest? No idea how old #2 is as I only collect ID from booking guest.

RR

You originally said “might” intervene. “would” intervene is likely a much safer path for you legally.

1 Like

Regarding under age drinking, I think I’ve written about this somewhere else here but I once had a lovely couple who were both eighteen.

I usually leave a bottle of wine for guests but didn’t for these two, bearing in mind the underage drinking thing.

When they were leaving, the guy said "oh, by the way, we can’t take it on the plane so we’ve left you what’s left in the vodka bottle’.

:rofl:

3 Likes

Florida law:

In some states, it is legal for parents to permit their underage children to drink alcohol under parental supervision at home. Not so in Florida. It is a violation of law if you know that an underage person at a social gathering at your home is in possession of alcohol and you fail to take reasonable steps to prevent the possession or consumption of that alcohol – even if the underage person is your child.

All you need if for them to wreck their car going from your listing to their next destination and some ambulance chaser to try to prove you knew about their drinking (“Did you clean the room during their stay, Ms jacquo? Did you not see a vodka bottle out in the open? Did you observe them arriving with the vodka?”) even if nothing of the sort happened and, watch out, the sky will fall in …

1 Like

The apartments are completely separate and self-contained. Whatever people want to do in there is up to them as long as they are clean and quiet.

If I know that guests are under 21 then I don’t supply the usual bottle of wine and that’s the only allowances I make for their age.

Of course, the problem here is that I’m not American and I’m therefore accustomed to people being able to drink (wine and beer at any rate) from an early age. I can’t shake it off :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I get that and fully agree. I much admire the (to me, correct) approach in France of having members of the family allowed to sip a little taste of wine with their food, so it doesn’t become a big bugabear, and alcohol is enjoyed in moderation throughout life.

My point is, if I read Fla. law correctly, you are are very like to be be responsible for underage drinking even in your separate apartments and especially if you are aware of it, and …

Given my own recent experiences in court, listening to my defamation guest make up her tall tales, one really wants to avoid at all costs even the remote chance of some lawyer getting wind of the fact that your underage guests were drinking and then trying to prove you knew “all about it.”

Best to read up on Fla. law and your risks, regardless of self-contained units, and protect yourself, perhaps letting the under-21s know that you have zero tolerance given state law. Given you don’t want a criminal prosecution.

2 Likes

You are responsible for underage drinking at your property. 18 is under age .
I am not saying ALL 18 years old are bad news but why does this particular 18 year old needs to rent an appartment for 2?
If its a couple passing by on backpacking trip or in town for studying that’s a different story .
But local 18 year old booking a room with a partner . I would ask some questions.
I had many situations with very young people If it was more than one .
One came with 3 other and sat on my backyard drinking beer and smoking pot.
She was local and decided to have a party at
My house. I had to kick them out because I couldn’t leave them in my house by themselves even for a second

Whatever. 2020202020

RR

Yes our legal age for drinking alcohol in the home or out of it, driving, getting married, fighting for your country, signing a contract etc. ranges between 16-18 in Europe so we find US age restrictions for alcohol quite strange.

3 Likes

I’m American, and I’m cool with my kids drinking (appropriately) at home. :slightly_smiling_face: I’d much rather they did that, then drink outside the home. How else will they learn to be responsible social drinkers?

1 Like

Agreed 100%! As far as i know, although they have age limits for buying booze, most European countries don’t have a lower age limit for drinking.

1 Like

In the end you’d probably be fine but if something big did go down you;d be involved and likely need to legally represent yourself if there was an investigation. Like I said, you might be fine but it could cost $ to make sure of that. Plus the “attention”.