Whoa! Stats now shows what every guest left as an overall rating!

LOL!!! I even posted a few of the Fivers in the Bad Guest Lounge as guests to avoid.
Remember the awful Gillian? Well she actually left Two stars-- surprising when you consider how bad the bitch ripped into me (privately). I thought she HATED my place with a passion?

:smile:

I assume Airbnb wouldnā€™t? Did they say why?

I assume the best friend thing didnā€™t work out. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve actually found that a good predictor for guests that give less than 5 stars is that they donā€™t seem to give much of a crap. Specifically, they donā€™t bother to fill out the suggestion form. Of the 7 people who gave me less than 5 stars, 5 of them didnā€™t fill in the suggestion form. Now I shudder inwardly when a guest looks vague when I ask about the suggestion form.

No, not really. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I happen to know it was due to the seasonal millipedesā€¦ .but the things I did for them!!!
Urrrgh. Donā€™t they realize that affects my business? He originally came through FlopKey so from now on I will just accepot the FlopKey reservation as requested and not try to steer them to Air.

Air is becoming so draconian these days that in comparison, FK is looking good!

Rating people on the basis of insect infestations they canā€™t control is so unfair.[quote=ā€œkonacoconutz, post:44, topic:10155ā€]
Air is becoming so draconian these days
[/quote]
Draconian in what ways?

Oh Faheemā€¦ just never mind. ;)[quote=ā€œfaheem, post:45, topic:10155ā€]
Draconian in what ways?
[/quote]

1 Like

Oh, come now. Donā€™t leave us hanging.

Guests love doing that because they might have liked you personally but privately hated staying in your space.

This guest actually returned with his family for a second booking so I know he liked the place! Probably not worth pursuing trying to get it removed.

I read somewhere, earlier this year if I remember right, that several people had problems leaving accurate star ratings on the app. Theyā€™d try to leave 5 stars but it reverted to 1 star and then they couldnā€™t change it.

Ive always used the app but I have gone to the stats page and while I can see the number of people who have left me ratings for what aspect and the comparison with my competition, I canā€™t see what ratings individual guests leave me either. Whilst I have an overall 4.9 and its says my last 7 guests left me 5 stars, some people gave unnecessarily shitty scores so I realise Ive been way to generous to the less than perfect guests! Iā€™ll be giving a few more 3 and 4 stars out from now on.

Just got this in the private feedback for my latests review:
Cleanliness feedback:
ā€œYour guest suggested that your space could be cleaner in the following areas: kitchen, floors and carpet.ā€

I find this hilarious as:

1. I have no carpet, there is a brand new wool rug in their room between the 2 beds which of course is spotless.
  2. The kitchen was spotless during their stay, vacuumed and mopped on day of 4 day stay and swept while they were here but its nearly 86 years old, how is this not clean? Oh and they cooked and made heaps of mess on the bench and stove and I always had to clean it and put their dishes away when my rules are clear about expectations. I never cooked once during their stay and my son was away.
  3. I cleaned their room today and found they had stuff a brand new tissue box behind the mirror, left sticky red food stains on my white bed sheets, left the ground floor, road facing window unlocked and unplugged a very expensive lamp and put it on the floor where it could have easily been broken.
  4. I baked them fresh banana bread (not included in my usual breakfast supplies) let them check out at 5pm and rushed around doing a same day changeover to check them in with their last minute request.

arrrgh, people are soon ungrateful. Iā€™m glad I only gave them 4 stars due to the way the room was left, but wished I had my comments made to them in private on their public review.

Oh my God, I donā€™t want to lookā€¦

We have a good idea of who left what. After one guest (who raved about our location), we had a 1 star for location so we called AirBNB who said theyā€™d only change it if the guest contacted them. We contacted the guest, tactfully queried the discrepancy, and they contacted AirBNB. They though 1 was good and 5 was badā€¦

1 Like

Ironic. I had a similar situation with some guests who rated me down for cleanliness and yet they were the ones making the mess!

I was constantly mopping and sweeping up after them; they had the audacity to mark me down on cleanliness. Theyā€™re one of the sets of guests I had that made me want to pull my hair out.

Congrats on your 4.9 score ā€¦ even with a few less than stellar reviews youā€™re obviously doing something right.

1 Like

I appreciate the support! I really donā€™t want this to cause to offence to any of the hosts on here, but my messiest and most ungrateful guests seem to be those in groups of 3 from 2 European countries (Germany and Holland at the risk of starting an issue), all young travellers too. Its difficult to decline people just on this basis as I think many are probably great, just not been my experience as a host. I have just sprayed the room with ā€˜positive energy sprayā€™ and hoping for better vibes from my next guests from India.

Ive not had any Indian guests before so any tips of easy breakfasts items I can get for them from anyone appreciated (I donā€™t know if they are vegetarian). I always supply 5 cereals, bread, butter, jams etc, milk and coffee/tea in large varieties. Not sure if Indian guests would actually eat any of this?

1 Like

I think Indians like curry for breakfast. Well, at least during my three weeks in India thatā€™s what I ate. I couldnā€™t really stomach it so started deafulting to just naan and paratha. Cheese stuffed being my fave!
Biscuits and tea were another fave while I was thereā€¦ the Indians know how to make the most wonderful chai. I lost weight while I was in India though because I kept getting ill from
shady food choices.

Iā€™m going to guess though that theyā€™ll want to try Aussie style. Surely thats why we go on holiday ā€¦ to do as the Romans do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m not even going to look. I know whatā€™s wrong with our place and I know whatā€™s great about it. I donā€™t need guests to tell me that the bathroom ceiling needs painting or whatever. Guests are actively encouraged to find fault so Iā€™m not going to waste my time ā€” as long as the public reviews are OK.

2 Likes

Yes why does ABB do this, its written like ā€˜but you must have something negative to say about this host, some minor infraction, some flaw in a non-perfect world that they should make perfect for you and do you really think you should give them 5 stars now you have identified all these things they should improve? Are you sure?ā€™

2 Likes

Exactly. If they really, really want to do it, then do it for new hosts who need the feedback. Iā€™ve found that the ā€˜negativeā€™ feedback I get is often due to guests being a bit dozy. ā€˜A coffee maker would be a good ideaā€™. (There is one, plus a cafetiere). ā€˜A swiffer or duster would have helped us clean when we leftā€™. (They are there in the bedroom closet - mentioned in the house manual). Etc. etc.

The only helpful comment I got was that the guest would have liked a colander to drain pasta - so I got one. But the point is that if the guest had mentioned to me that she needed a colander, I would have lent her mine. (Our rental is a separate apartment but just steps from my own and I always tell guests to let me know if they need anything at all.) Iā€™m sure that the colander lady had to really think hard before suggesting that as an improvement.

3 Likes

Except for the cereals, that all sounds reasonable. I donā€™t think Indians eat cereal, unless theyā€™re Westernized. I remember eating muesli during my first trip outside India (tot he UK) when I was a child, and liking it, but Iā€™ve never really been a cereal person. And why not ask them? They might tell you.

Indians do eat eggs, though, like most other people - scrambled, fried, omelettes. But maybe you donā€™t want to cook. I had some guests from North India who said they ate aloo paratha, so we gave them that. I canā€™t imagine why anyone would want to eat that for breakfast, though.

ADDENDUM: I just did a search of ā€œmuesliā€ on Amazon India, and got a bunch of hits (e.g, http://www.amazon.in/Bagrrys-Crunchy-Muesli-Fruit-Cranberries/dp/B00MHGSZZC), with lots of reviews, so maybe the Indians not eating cereals thing is a mite inaccurate. Some Amazon shoppers eat cereal, at any rate.