Your strategies to avoid host burn out

And the beauty of this place is that it’s free. Costs nothing, nada, zip. Some folks don’t like they advice they receive, but at least they haven’t spent one hundred and fifty dollars getting it.

Sadly, the internet is full of self proclaimed experts, who want to charge folks money for their advice. We’ve seen new posters quote some of these experts and often the advice they give is dubious at best.

In addition, there are some of the experts who have simply lifted content from here, and then proudly published it as their own original thoughts.

JF

4 Likes

We have the same problem with many so-called “professionals” who haven’t a clue about their “profession”, yet charge a fortune for their “services” (or lack of them).

One could offer similar arguments about many aspects of Airbnb “services”. I’d argue that it would be more effective to simply eliminate those “services” which do not render any tangibly positive result, or even cause additional damage.

Or failing that, simply ignore them :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@JohnF Tell us what you really think! Love it when not directed at me. And comes across not as mean spirited but just what it is.

I’m now in my fifth year and we have been doing well.

For me what prevents burnout is the team approach we have. We have a great housecleaner/gardener who is a wonderful sounding board as well as a hard and effective worker. But it also means that I don’t need to do all the work; each team member can play to their strengths. Then we have the Host, who lives remotely and has a finely tuned sense of design and aesthetics that goes way beyond what I offer. And then there’s me, co-Host who recruits handymen, prioritizes work for cleaner/gardener, documents procedures, researches, communicates with guests and works to elevate our hospitality chops.

All of us get energized by the reviews and various expressions of guest appreciation. We’ve been very lucky to get great guests 90%+ of the time, and when we don’t I look internally to explore how I might have prevented that.

I’m personally excited by the adventure in discovering what really matters to guests, systematizing what we do, and finding best practices. [Like, to my embarrassment, I just discovered on this forum that you really have to wash duvet covers with each turnover [not just spray with Lysol Fabric], which we’re now doing.

We’re continuously upping our game overall but seeking to discover what most tickles our guests beyond projecting what is important to us. Candidly, I think we do more than what we need to do, and over time we/I will probably settle down to focus on what’s most important, which of course varies with guests.

So there’s a kind of an ongoing puzzle here that keeps me going.

3 Likes

Ah, another digital carpetbagger. Lurks here for 64 days, and then starts spouting his “wisdom” to folks that have been providing much better experience based truth to those that want to read or search past posts.

It seems like a quarterly event.

We all find meaning in @muddy 's posts.

7 Likes

I just love it when these posts go off the rails and the disingenuous carpetbagger (love it @NordlingHouse !) then becomes defensive.

I only charge $100 an hour for custom web development. Clearly I’m in the wrong business and need to build a crap free WP site and lift content from here, thereby raising my rates and then arbitraging a bunch of homes in my 'hood.

Yeah, Not. >wanders off to feed catnip to the cat<

3 Likes