Your strategies to avoid host burn out

With any listing that you have, be it rooms in a home or private unit, you should be providing the most information up front as possible. A house manual is truly a must when providing expectations up front. In this case, having all the information a guest could need upfront is always the right choice. From there, you can reply to any and all nuance based on your specific hosting style.

I don’t think providing ALL the information upfront is beneficial. That would mean potential guests would have to read a lot of information. Most guests don’t read the listings.

I prefer to highlight only the most important information guests need to know. There have been suggestions by Catherine Powell of Airbnb to put information like “leaves fall from trees into the pool” as part of house rules. The next thing would be instructions on how to use the sink, toilet, refrigerator, etc. It will just go on and on.

I’m process oriented so I have checklists / and manuals for everything - but I can also see how if someone is just doing a room share, house rules in the listing and a manual introduction can suffice. It’s ultimately up to the host but I don’t have much of a strong opinion either way. Many ways to the finish line I guess

Care to explain why a house manual for my private room listing would be in any way useful? It would be ridiculous. You keep making pronouncements as if you are the foremost authority on how to run an Airbnb. I suspect you have never had a private rooom listing, so why you think you know anything about it?

1 Like

Honestly, your responses to my feedback have been defensive and negative. I run a company consulting people on their Airbnb’s (private room, private units, glamping, etc) so I’m really just sharing free information here on options available to you. Even a private room listing could have rules about what to do in common areas or specifics about what you’re offering. Talking to them about access (if they can enter on their own or if you have to let them in), if they can cook in the kitchen or use it to any extent, if they can use the yard. Also just setting boundaries for things that are strictly yours that you do not want to share.

All of what you mention is quite clear in my listing information and no guest has ever arrived with expectations of things that were not offered nor crossed any boundaries. My guests are well aware of there being no self-check in when they arrive, because I communicate with them about their ETA and if they are arriving by bus, which most of them do, I arrange to pick them up at the bus station.
Nor does any of what you mention have to do with a house manual, which usually gives instructions on how to work things in the home.

My responses to your posts have been negative because you keep posting as if you are some kind of authority on how to run any type of Airbnb, just because you set up a business advising other hosts, when in fact, you are not the least bit open to believing that there are other ways of doing things that work perfectly well.

I’ve hosted since 2016, have solid 5* reviews and never had any issue with a guest for which I had to involve Airbnb, so I’d say my methods for dealing with guests and running my business work just fine.

4 Likes

No you don’t. You’re trying to do it, but so far all you have is a rather dodgy free wordpress blog that as prospective client would make me run a mile in the opposite direction :rofl:

Oh, and your content is shit also.

JF

5 Likes

The comment that I left said you can use as little or as much automation as you want to. Feel free to not take the advice or to view it as just my opinion. At the end of the day it’s completely up to you on how you want to host your space. Initially, the advice wasn’t even specifically for you, but the person who made the post. It’s unfortunate that you’ve bogged down my post with your comments.

Everything I’ve commented is to help with the topic “Strategies to avoid host burn out”. So I’ve only provided my thoughts on it. Take it or leave it. Does not affect me one bit.

I’m glad that you have found a way that works for you and have success on the platform. We can all find success using Airbnb and there are many ways to do it. I don’t know how many listings you have, but hopefully you can continue to find more and build upon the success you have.

John - Love the positivity!

This session is meant to go over any questions you may have and to provide guidance for 45 minutes. The cost of this consultation call is $149.99 for the session.

Ok fella, here’s a challenge. Tell me what knowledge you have, that makes three quarters of an hour of your time worth one hundred and fifty bucks?

Come on, list your experience and tell us all what makes you so special versus the free shit you get here, from real hosts, with real experience.

JF

5 Likes

This is a perfect example of how out-of-touch you are. “Hopefully” I can “find” more listings? What, rental arbitrage? :nauseated_face:

I rent a private room in my home, where I live. Hosting for me is about meeting cool people from all over the world while making use of a room that sat empty most of the time, and making some money. I have zero desire to amass more listings, and “success” to me has nothing to do with “building” some portfolio of listings and making lots of money.

Not to mention that having more listings is exactly the opposite of how to avoid burn-out.

5 Likes

That’s a really good way to turn a compliment. Lots of negative energy emanating from you.

Yes, but hadn’t you realised that with some clever use of Dexion racking you could fit another fourteen guests in your space?

Bet you hadn’t. That’ll be one hundred fifty dollars please, I’ll PM you my PayPal.

JF

6 Likes

John - you’ve opened a dialogue in bad faith. It’s unfortunate that you choose to attack people on the platform instead of building them up. Best of luck to you in life.

Actually, you started it by your blatant self promotion.

I’m still waiting for you to answer my question, which I’ll repeat in case you missed it:

Tick tock, tick tock.

JF

4 Likes

Fellow travelers on the hosting road, thank you so much, I have learned a great deal.

Clearly there are a number of paths toward being a successful and happy host. A lot depends, it seems, on the host’s resources and creativity, and on the particular hosting situation.

Given that this forum is relatively anonymous, it’s easy to type things that we would perhaps not say if we were meeting in person.

So, I offer a gentle plea to remember that we are actually colleagues, not competitors, and no one here is so old that they have learned absolutely everything yet! :grin:

3 Likes

Wanna take bets on whether he’s ever hosted a home share or glamping? Or ever even booked one? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Just a little note of sarcasm here, hope everyone has had their rabies shots. :grinning:

1 Like

Nah, because I would win :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

One of my favourite sayings is that every day is a school day, however one must be careful in respect of the teacher…

Anyway, it’s well past my bedtime and I can feel a chapter or two of Len Deighton’s Berlín trilogy before sleepy poo’s, so it’s buenos noches de me.

JF

2 Likes

Take care, Muddy. Hopefully you find meaning in your posts.