You might be a bad host if

I had one beside table for my entire hosting career, over 600 5 star reviews. Do I think a bedside table on both sides is nice? Yes? Do I think it’s required? No.

2 Likes

Omnicron is characteristically less virulent but more contagious.

1 Like

I don’t pack a bedside lamp & I think they are necessary. This is the flashlight I keep in my car so if I HAD to, I can use it table top. I didn’t purchase the flashlight for that use so just a coincidence.

That table is too small, and crowded…how and where would anyone put a phone, ipad, or if they are old a cpap machine?
I see two options…get rid of the twin and double and replace with a queen and put tables on both sides.
OR buy, or get something made, that goes between the headboard and the wall that has shelves for someone to put things in…

4 Likes

I agree about the technology. Right now she has minimal funds for furniture changes. I will suggest the options mentioned in this thread.

Meant to be amusing—she said her husband isn’t sure about “this whole Airbnb thing” and has agreed to put joint assets in it for two years for proof of concept. My response, “Of course you will do well. After he sees how well you do this summer, he’s going to be telling everyone it was his idea!”

1 Like

Thank you. Wine was probably involved. Corrected now.

Being that sort of barnwood look, a shelf could easily be mounted on the top of each headboard making a small shelf where at least a phone or water bottle could go. That’s what I did on my own headboard. I used a board removed from the base of the bed to drop the headboard in. So it was the right color size and I didn’t care that it had the odd cutouts. For these Airbnb beds you’d need a carpenter or handyman to do a good looking job.

2 Likes

Maybe I’ve been watching too many tik toks with these women who are fearless DIYers…but that headboard stain doesn’t look hard to match. Here’s another inspiration picture. What I like about this is no feet on the table…easier to clean under and clean looking.

5 Likes

Excellent idea

Maybe this could work until could get custom work done?

1 Like

Me too.

I like what you posted.

Either a wider table between the beds (and if it has a drawer in it, that also provides more space to put things), or wall shelves or the headboard shelf idea, which I really like. While there are lots of things that can be repurposed to be cool bedside tables, TV tables just look too cheap and tacky in a bedroom, IMO.

And forget decorative items on a bedside table. They should be totally clear for guest use.

And seeing that framed “saying” or whatever you call it there- I see these framed phrases, like “Love” or “Be Kind” or whatever motto, in so many listings now. I personally don’t like them and don’t see the point. It isn’t art, it isn’t anything interesting to look at.

3 Likes

Things on my beside tables: TV remotes, coaster, card stand with a message that has the wireless log in info and my cell number. No lamps as they are wall mounted.

2 Likes

Those have a purpose that a guest would find useful. But I see listings where bedside tables are cluttered up with purely decorative items. If it’s large enough to have a nice little plant there and still be room for the guest’s stuff, that’s fine, but sometimes the decorative things a host has put there take up too much of the surface.

2 Likes

Art on the wall, not on tables. Places full of tschotkes drive me nuts.

I rented a daughter-away-at-boarding-school room once where the footboard of the bed had a collection of glass horses on top. I didn’t want to break anything, so I found an empty drawer and put them all in there, safe and out of the way.

In my review, I just commented on the great view and good breakfast, since they were getting ready to sell the house.

4 Likes

I agree and I have one!! Naked wall space. Needed something to pull together red, pale blue, black & white in the office nook. $5 at Walmart. Right colors so works. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Our lamps on each side of the bed are wall-mounted too. On each bedside table we put a small decorative bowl or small tray. It’s so that people have somewhere to put their jewelry, watch, earbuds, etc.

2 Likes

When we built our guesthouse in 2003, of course it wasn’t with Home Sharing in mind and Airbnb wasn’t even a “thing” yet, so we didn’t build it in a way that allows for full seating inside our kitchenette area. We do have a small bar that can seat three easily along with some side tables to sit at the couch, but it is very nominal and not ideal at all. We do offer multiple outdoor seating areas that work great when the weather permits, but we do warn guests with the maximum booking that our set-up isn’t ideal for the entire group eating inside. (TBH: we don’t intentionally discourage food prep/cooking inside the guesthouse, but we also do not encourage it due to the exponentially higher potential for clean-up and damages) Another factor to consider is what is the typical booking length of your listing. For us, 70% of our guests are here for one night only so interior eating isn’t that hight of a priority. Most are going out to eat. Our longer term guests tend to happen in the warmer months so the outdoor eating areas work great. Happy to say we DO have end tables with lamps and bulk charging stations on each side of the bed. I think as long as you are very up-front with what you do and do not have, then the guest can determine if they want to book or not.

3 Likes

Do you have any covered outdoor eating areas? I’ve seen your listing but can’t recall. I ask because I bought a product this year that creates a temporary screened in porch.

1 Like

Guests tell me they dine mostly on the screened porch when it is warm outside. I’m glad you mentioned this - I had removed one chair due to damage. Out of sight, out of mind—-must repair. Must repair. Must repair

1 Like

or if they are old a cpap machine?

Haha! I have used a cpap machine for about 14 years now. I must be really old!