You might be a bad host if

Agreed & understand. My area is still a little open because HOAs determine STR status except for licensing.

However there is a tiny city section zoned no STR. Also the city for 2 years has attempted to pass new STR rules. They are reasonable but do include additional fees.

If it passes, I’ll list with a property management company. I will have less gross income but fewer headaches.

I now travel with a rechargeable 4 inch fan. Hotels don’t have ceiling fans. I need air moving. The little fan will at least blow on my face. Having a fan available is an important amenity to me. I tend to “run hot”.

My area can be hot & humid. I have ceiling fans in every room including the kitchen plus a tower fan & vortex fan that can move from room to room. A little air moving can make things more comfortable.

I have the tower fan & 12” vortex fan if people are sharing a room & one wants a breeze & the other does not.

3 Likes

Absolutely! Every room has 2 side tables and a ceiling fan w/ light kit. All are pictured in the listing.

Each table (both sides of the bed) has multiple charging ports (got rid of the extension cords as advised :sweat_smile:).

& the dining & family room seating match capacity.

All items are pictured and described in the listing.

PS > I also learned from my friends here that this is a must-have and I use one at my own home everyday now :laughing:

4 Likes

Was this detail in terms of lamps/bedside tables and seating not shown in the photos for the listing @Atlnative

I would say that just like any other guest you should check the listing and description to make sure it has the amenities you want .

Personally I wouldn’t have booked a listing that only had bar stools as the seating arrangement to eat at … but each to their own I guess it depends on whether you intend to eat in much at a listing .

3 Likes

I made some changes too.

I purchased lamps with built in USB ports & I’m attaching USB to USB-C converters. (Apple air pod pro charging cable is USB-C)

I have all plugged up in my house testing the lights, ports & converters.

Plus I have a couple of USB surge protector outlets.

4 Likes

My neighbor/friend/ competitor had this conversation.

I have an eat-at bar & bar height out-door dining table so you can see over the railing to the water. No one has complained.

Her condo has an eat-at bar with stools. Her 3rd guests complained about difficulty with bar stools.

She purchased a pretty metal folding table with 2 folding chairs that tucks nicely to the side of the room. She doesn’t think anyone has used it.

Everyone is different.

This helps emphasize how important accurate pictures are. As I snooped my neighbors listing, I realized many don’t show both sides of the bed so you can’t tell if there’s a table or not.

I’m guilty too. The pics of my smaller bedroom don’t show one of the bedside tables. Living & learning.

1 Like

It’s not always obvious from the photos. I spent a LOT of time carefully scrutinizing a bunch of listings yesterday and had to send at least four messages to hosts to ask. All four came back in the negative.

There were 300+ listings in this search and 90 percent or more had 1 bedside table. And this is a major metro area.

A large number had profiles that are indicative of a multiple property host. Just doing it on the cheap.

5 Likes

I host a 7 bedroom house with 3 roofs and a living room sofa bed. A couple of groups have managed to squeeze 20+ people into the property. We make sure that all possible sleeping spaces, even if a mattress on the floor, have a little side table/chest a reading lamp per person and a box of tissues. I think it’s the absolute minimum requirement to call it a bed space really. We get just about everything 2nd hand from our local tip and from house clearances and a friend of ours does locally and charity shops, so it’s not expensive really. Everything is clean and working but not top notch style or quality wise, having said that it’s pretty good. I like everything a bit random as extended families can relax without worrying they might break some prized heirloom

2 Likes

@Annet3176 @Atlnative Yes listings should be clear. Food is a big part of my life in terms of family and friends so we would always look for places that had comfortable chairs to sit at to eat meals .

For me bar stools for long meals just aren’t comfortable. As are metal seats. I just want normal wooden dining chairs which are padded.

The important thing is that whatever you provide it should be clear in the photos and description

1 Like

I got cables that have 3 different options at the end and put one in the Airbnb room. I thought it might walk off but after 3 years it has not. Sometimes people forget their cable at the last place so having a cable at the next place is so nice. I was in NYC recently and needed a cable. I made the mistake of buying one just off Times Square at 10x markup. Oh well, doing my part for the hard hit NYC economy.

I only had one bedside table until recently due to the small size of the room. But there was at least a reading lamp on each side. I finally ran across the perfect table to go on the other side of the bed. It’s not only perfect in size but the style/decor fits the wood and black I have going in there. It’s only about 8" deep so when folded up it’s not in the way of the tiny dining area. The V shaped space below seemed awkward at first but the square box of tissues fits well there. When the drop down shelf is opened it’s just the right size for a phone and water bottle in addition to the TV remotes. There’s an easily accessible plug on each side of the bed and there’s also a usb port on the reading lamp on one side and in the bedside table on the other side.
Because of this post I also realized I need to update my listing pictures to show it, so thanks for that.

For small listings with no room for a table, a bar or chairs that can be used at the counter are a good option. However, I don’t like bar stools because there is only one place for your feet on the stool. I want my feet on the ground. For people with physical issues, hoisting oneself up onto a bar stool can be uncomfortable and difficult. I have no idea why the “counter height” dining table became popular and stayed popular (at least in the US) for so long (aside from decorators and furniture makers trying to sell us stuff we don’t need and won’t like thereby getting us to replace it in a few years.)

Booking an Airbnb can be a very time consuming and painful process in most places. First, narrow down the listings in terms of important things like ratings and reviews, price, location, parking and cancellation policy. Next go through each picture of each listing you are considering looking for style of chair, number of lamps and beside tables or whether they have towel racks in the bathroom. Next check the rules list and hope it’s short. Finally, put in your request to book or question about something you need but didn’t see in the listing and wait up to 24 hours for the host to answer before moving to the next choice. Also @Atlnative has stated that there weren’t many choices in that location.

4 Likes

This—high demand places go fast. There is nothing more frustrating than doing your due diligence comparing & evaluating rentals then going to book and it’s unavailable.

3 Likes

I have spent sooo much time to narrow down the choices and found very few I’d rent.

Hotels have nothing to fear!!

Part of the reason is all the local legislation making it so onerous to do STR.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when a realtor has a listing that’s governed by covenants, aren’t they supposed to know what those covenants are? This surprises me….

@mollimac

I am not a realtor so I am not an authoritative source. However based upon what I’ve been told, unless the owner gives the seller’s representative a copy of the HOA covenants & bylaws, there is no way to know all the details.

The same is true of the buyer’s agent.

Oh, please, where did you get this? Do you have a link?

Yes it’s on Wayfair.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/17-stories-hyrum-hanging-nightstand-w004331459.html?&experiencetype=2&selectedvertical=4

1 Like

I had a similar experience… I privately messaged the hosts mentioning the items I felt their AIRBNB could use… in a VERY politely manner… I do take my own nightlights but I’m not packing a bedside lamp!

1 Like

All I can figure with these hosts who don’t provide bedside lamps is that they never read in bed at night or have to get up to go to the bathroom, and it has never occured to them that other people may do those things. Pretty odd.

4 Likes

I think it’s a matter of preference. I for one prefer a nightstand table. I provide them in both my rentals. I choose to make mine what I would like to have. I don’t believe there is a right or wrong.

1 Like

About bedside tables…
One of the soon-to-be hosts, I’m assisting will soon close on a mostly turnkey property. Max guest 4 (2br/2ba) although it can sleep 8 because dining table seats 4 & Living area seats 4 (5 if 3 on couch).

Master bedroom has queen bed with two side tables.
The second bedroom has a twin & a double bed (picture makes beds look wider)

For this thread let’s say all guests are adults. 2 sleep in master. 1 in each of the 2 beds in the 2nd BR.

In the second bedroom there isn’t room for multiple bedside tables.

I think she needs a larger table between the beds, or do you think having a folding TV table available if needed will do?

Plus since no ceiling fans, we are going to discuss what she wants to do.