You know you are an Airbnb host when

Oh, I can see how that might help you! I got the feeling that no one was using it because we are not family friendly and I was getting so many people who wanted to bring their kids to my house and to argue with me when I said “no”. I always directed them to the family collection though!
Now, if you add a child or infant to your guest count when searching, only kid friendly listings come up first. My listing is now at the very end, on the very last page under a disclaimer that says “these listings may not be family friendly”. This new system seems to be working better for me at least. It may still be working for you as your listing will come up first for people who add a child or infant to their list.

2 Likes

Ah good to know! Thanks @JJD Maybe they just found another way to work it. I know we get a majority of our guests as two couples with kiddos on a friend/family vacation together. The kids go to bed at 8 and the adults hit the hot tub.

Dang, I’m homesick now!
Add that to “You know you are a host when …” :heart:

1 Like

This is unconscionable. The only thing that’s in any of our pictures or amenity list that comes and goes are the AC units and I note it a couple of times in the listing. The rarely get used while they’re there but…if a guest showed up in January and asked where the AC was, my husband would go down there and have it re-installed for them in 15 minutes. Even though it’s unreasonable and even though they should have read the listing. It really seems just easier to give people what they want. Bad hosts are making their own lives harder too, it’s just stupid.

1 Like

I always wash those glasses myself before using them, for this reason.

2 Likes

I’m assuming that you think just because a guest asks where the amenity is means that they want to use it…that would be a lot of work either way and even more so if they didn’t want to use it. :wink:

Actually, I am glad someone mentioned this as I have been thinking about this…

The way they have it now, if you (guest) tick the box for Work Trip you are only shown listings that have 5-star reviews from previous “work trips”. My listing, for example, does not show up in the “work trip” results no matter how you fine tune the search - it is just not there.

The only way to get a 5 star rating as a “work trip” is if someone has ticked the “work trip” box at the beginning of their search. You could not search and find my listing, reserve, and then tick “work trip”. As soon as you tick “work trip” my listing disappears and you cannot pull it up to book.

If I am following this right, it is impossible for me to ever show up in the list for “work trips”. It is not possible for me to get a five star review (or any review) from someone with “work trips” chosen, because as soon as you choose “work trips” my listing is not an option.

Am I missing something here?

Just a bit of a colloquialism (lol, I “put things up” even if I’m actually putting them down). Of course, it would only be if they wanted to use it. Though if someone just wanted to bitch that it wasn’t there, I’d be prone to call their bluff and install it for them anyways :laughing:

It’s really not. We have 9 units total for our house and do it twice a year and we’ve got it down. It’s a 15 min job for one of them, including putting the empty box back into storage.

I don’t think this is true. Someone could come and stay at your listing and later report, while reviewing, that it was a work trip and then you would have your 5-star rating for a work trip and then you would come up in the work trip searches.

This is interesting. I just checked mine. We have 3 and 2 of them come up when I tick for work trip. One of them is older and has a ton of reviews and definitely has had people in there that booked when it was the “work collection” so that didn’t surprise me. Both of the other 2 (the other one that comes up and the one that doesn’t) were up this past summer and I know that there was still a work collection, however one of them is priced and suited for one and we get a lot of people in there for work so am not suprised it shows up. The 3rd one that is not coming up under work trip also doesn’t surprise me - it seems to attract longer stays and groups. I don’t think anyone has been in there on a work trip and so it doesn’t show up. Maybe it is doomed to never be a work trip listing, I don’t know. I would be more concerned, as you are, if it was my only listing. However, I have regulars that come for work and I have asked a couple of them about it and they were completely unaware of the work collection or the work trip search options. What I mean is, I think you can and will get booked “for work” without coming up under the search option - and then you will come up under the search option after that (if they report it as a work trip).
The reason they got rid of the collections, was lack of use/interest, so I really don’t think they matter much. I think you’ll get work trips because you have a great listing with high ratings, and really that is what matters.

But my understanding is the only way the trip is tagged as a “work trip” is when they do the original search - with “work trip” chosen.

My listing won’t show up in this search, so they cannot book my place as a work trip. It is a closed system that no new listings can break into.

So are guests asked during the review process, after their stay, if it was a work trip? I don’t remember seeing that. That would be good for me though!

1 Like

This is not how it works.

In the review process and even sometimes an email later, they get a chance to say what their trip was for: “work”, “weekend”, etc

1 Like

I guess the one house I have window units in (it’s only for LTR as it is out of state for me) makes it much more of a chore than it is for you. Plus I have them stored tucked in the crawl space 2 floors down so it’s a bit of an ordeal for me, especially on bad back days. Glad you have it down pat! :blush:

In full disclosure, I have a hyperactive husband who enjoys such chores, so that’s why it’s easy for “me”. But he isn’t always a perk :wink:

2 Likes

That is good news! Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

1 Like

Even when using the minimum booking window of 3 months in advance, it doesn’t make sense to remove seasonal amenities from the description or photos. When stretching the window to a full year or more, it’s completely broken. If Airbnb allowed hosts to specify amenities by reservation date and only showed them to guests based on their specific search, then it could work, but I imagine it would be too complicated for most hosts to even bother with, and Airbnb’s buggy software would constantly screw it up for the hosts that do. :crazy_face:

1 Like

…when you spend your Christmas money on a case of new pillowcases, replacing a blender with cracked glass (not your own) and some fresh bathmats :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

…you have already set up a Christmas tree and holiday lights at your listing, but still don’t have them set up at your own home.

5 Likes