Yet another bad experience with a host...Pls help

Katy, looks like you have the second problem with cleanness after you left Airbnb. 2 times in a raw is a sign of a messy person. Reading about a suitcase on a sofa was very disrespecting to a property. Not cleaned mess around a grill is also not nice of you to leave. Oh, would be nice to hear the second party by the way.

2 Likes

Marina, do you honestly think that putting a suitcase on a couch describes me as a messy person? The first case did not even go through a resolution center and I ended up paying the host. But this time, I dont think am at fault. The host last summer left me a positive feedback afterall. I have 49 positive feedback right now and no negative one. I know I am not a messy person!

1 Like

She sound crazy to me. Really? She actually will have you come clean those few spots on a balcony? I was on another side couple of times when a guest made up stories about how filthy my house is claiming there were dirty place mates where in fact it was only one crumb on one of them.
It contradicted with more than 50 reviews on people praising my cleanliness. I donā€™t agree if only twice hosts said what they said about you that you are a messy person.
If majority of your reviews are good then it shows that you are a good guest.
Did you use her slippers at all??

1 Like

By the way I put a chair with fabric cusion in guests room so they can put their luggage on it for convenience. And they put their luggage on beds all the time. I am not crazy happy about the idea of luggage on top of bedspread but what can I do, I just wash it more often.

I did not use her slippers at all. we left our shoes outside the apartment door and brought our house socks. I did not go through her personal stuff. I saw her wearing them when she greeted me but afterwards am not sure what she did with them.
I might not be the cleanest person but am definitely not messy.
I now leave my suitcase on the floor at all times and I always make sure the place is somewhat clean when I leave. Always do dishes, take the trash out (here, I looked several times and did not find trash cans thats why I left it at the balcony), make up my bed, put all the towels in a pile and under a sinkā€¦etc. My boyfriend keeps telling me to stop worrying but its hard because I take it personally and donā€™t like wrongful accusations.
Have you ever charged your guests for leaving a mess?

Never! And never will. I donā€™t even charge cleaning fees. Most of my guests are very nice and tidy. I had may be 2-3 guests out of more than 150 who kind of trashed the room which was spilled juice even on walls, popcorn everywhere, hair in a bathroom. I just cleaned. It took me an hour.

Unless they do unclean able damage like break something substantial I sm not going to waste my time claiming excessive cleaning.
Your boyfriend is right though, train yourself to let go people like this. If you travel so much and all your reviews are great, these 2 make no difference.
I travel a lot too, and stay at Airbnbs a lot. Only once I had this young German guy leaving bad reviews that I left dirty toilet. First of I sm sure he mixed me up with somebody as I am a rare case of cleaning toilets before I leave. Non of my guests ever did it for me. So I know I am an exclusion from the rule.
But thatā€™s even besides the point. How dare he even expecting people to clean toilets after themselves if this is his job, on top of that he charges 35 cleaning euro fee for the tiniest apartment I ever stayed in.
There was nothing at that house, not even soap.

I have never charged my guests for a mess. But I had 2 sets of guests who left spots on my bedspread. I was stressed because I had another guests arrival and I had no time to clean it. I just cleaned a spot and put a fan in front of it. This season I got an extra bedspread that I am stress free. Katy, I have sharp eyes for spots :slight_smile: but my husband never sees spots. Maybe here is the same case.

I think it is very strange to have twice in one year having to use the resolution center over messes and damages (there is also an extensive thread by Katy that sounds just like this one dated July 2015).

I also think as a host I want to be cautious if supporting someone who has twice been on this forum to complain about the mistreatment by hosts. It is hard to know the full story in both instances, but I doubt it is as simple as this other host being crazy and money seeking. If I had made such a mess on a balcony (those are some pretty big grease spots) I would have either used dish soap or purchased something to clean it with. It appears her floors are pergo and they will swell if you leave wet materials on them. There are people who mean well but are oblivious to the messes they create and never want to take responsibility for themselves. I think most of us have been guilty of this at some point in our lives.

I do not think going back to clean it is a good idea, but I do not think you should be surprised if you get dinged in costs by Airbnb.

Iā€™ve never charged for a mess either. Mostly my guests have been wonderful at leaving the apartment in great shape but I often have to give the stove a really good cleaning, stained sheets (which I wonā€™t go into in detail) are common (and quite normal, I think) and because weā€™re near the beach even the best guests usually leave sand in the bathtub (lots of it).

Most of what I clean is general wear and tear from normal use - such as spills in the fridge, counter top and microwave, minor stains on towels and so on. Guests often forget to take the garbage out which is no big deal.

I have spares of all linens and a turnover time of five hours for a one bedroom apartment. I have a cleaning fee (I do the cleaning) and have no problem with preparing the apartment because Iā€™m earning money. The guests are here to enjoy themselves not spend their last few hours here cleaning every single thing.

2 Likes

She came here as a guest, who is she going to complain if not the host. I think for many these posts can be very educational to learn how it all looks through eyes of guests.
I am on both sides and judging by pictures I still think that that host is kuku and after money.

1 Like

About a trash container. No trash containers outside a building? Can exist such thing? I am also cooking my meals when I am on my vacations. I always bring with me some sponges, which I put in trash when I leave place.

you are of course entitle to your opinion but I would appreciate if you actually read my thread thoroughly before making conclusions. I mentioned that the first mishap last year was not through resolution center and the host even left a positive feedback afterwards.
This apartment I stayed in last weekend is located in Germany and everything was completely closed on Easter. Best believe I would have gone to a store to purchase some cleaning stuff but I was not able to. They do not sell such stuff at gas station, I looked!
I paid 35 euro as cleaning charges. Do you actually think those pictures prove I made some serious mess that I deserve to pay $800?
I take responsibility for all of my actions and would not be wasting my time on here if I did not care.
I work as a hotel managerā€¦I know how to deal with all kinds of situations but I never accused our guests of such terrible lies just to have a bigger profit.

In Germany, there are usually some trash cans inside the building or in the back. This time, being it a very new building, There was nothing around. I did notice some kind of a garage looking building but it was locked. I honestly never thought of bringing spongesā€¦this should be something I should not have to worry about

1 Like

When I travel to Madagascar or another poor country, I bring sponges with me :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes, you are right. My mother also sees mess I was never able to see. But the point is, I pay for servicesā€¦I pay nightly rate, airbnb fees and cleaning fee. It is not a hotel but it is part of hospitality and I should not have to clean the rented place spotlessly. As I said before, I always clean all of my dishes, take the trash out, make up the bed, wipe off all the counters and tables and make sure am not leaving any mess behindā€¦one, it would be embarrassing and two, I never wanted to experience such unpleasant encounter I am having now.

1 Like

Yes, it can. They are pretty well hidden in our apartment complex because they are unsightly. I also know of places where the trash cans are kept in chainlink mini-compounds which are padlocked. In some areas they are locked or hidden away because of wildlife. If any one of these is the case, the host should make sure that the guest knows their whereabouts.

I always point out where ours are to the guest, both during the house tour and in the manual. I leave plenty of trash bags under the sink. Clorox wipes, bleach and toilet cleaner are in plain view in the bathroom. There are also plenty of paper towels in the kitchen.

During the house tour and in the manual I explain that the first aid kit is under the sink in the kitchen and say casually ā€˜oh, and there are cleaning materials here tooā€™. When there are cooking facilities, itā€™s lax of a host not to leave cleaning materials and point out where they are. Guests WANT to clean the kitchen they are cooking in.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input! I paid cleaning fee as well. I dont mind paying these at all as I know most hosts clean on their own but in this case, I am just starting to regret I ever decided to stay at her place

Katy you should not have to clean. You paid your $40 cleaning which means she has to clean up any mess within reason that you made. And it sounds like your mess is diffently within reason. This lady is obviously crazy donā€™t go to her house to clean up either thatā€™s not your responsibility. Donā€™t worry about airbnb is not going to side with her ā€¦if anything $20 of your $40 cleaing fee should take care of all those stupid problems. I have had guests leave my place in worst condition and I donā€™t complain because I know itā€™s part of the hosting buissnes. They pay there cleaing fee and thatā€™s it. As long as there is no damage iam always ok with it

1 Like

Marina, I think you are a very rare super clean guest who brings sponges on her trip:). I would never think of such a thing, and I am sure others would not too.
I have a guest who rents from me on a regular basis since December every 2 weeks for a weekend. She says it herself that she has OCD. She never uses my towels. Washes my dishes if God forbid I leave it in a sink for a minute. She cleans her bathroom as soon as she arrives after I just cleaned it. She asks me not to get offended, itā€™s just her being OCD. At the same time she orders Chinese out every time she is here. With everything that is going on t restaurants she is not afraid to get takes outs.
How hard is it to throw away a garbage bag? Why even it needs to be discussed and hold it against a guest who was charged for cleaning.
I think the host is very inexperienced since she did not give proper instructions on anything. But at the same time she is trying to get a substantial amount of money for made up damages

Yana,
I guess all of us have OCD to some extend :slight_smile: I am not so bad like your guest, but I do not eat out or take food out. Next week I go to my #44 country and I take a sponge with me. Also, thank you to this topic, I will mention in reviews if people leave sports at my place.