I travel a lot and because I am on a special diet when I must cook all my meals, I prefer using AirBnB instead of staying in hotels.
I have 100% positive comments on my profile and besides having problems last summer with a rude host, I have had nothing but amazing experience.
Well until last weekend. I found this beautiful penthouse for 3 nights at reasonable rate and booked it. I was greeted by a friendly young female and her boyfriend who did not bother even saying “hello”. I was told they are leaving for Easter vacation and to behave as the house were my own.
I am a hotel manager and I deal with nasty guests on daily basis so I never complain about petty stuff. Therefore, I decided not to complain about one small blanket instead of one big one or two (it was two of us) or not working wi-fi that I specifically asked about as I need to check my work emails twice a day.
Anyways, my boyfriend and I spent the 3 nights there and left the following behind
- tied trash bag at a balcony as we could not find any trash cans
- clean dishes in the dishwasher along with a wooden cutting board
- clean kitchen and living room area
- balcony floor dirty from coal ashes and oil drops from grilling as it started raining and did not stop even when we left
Now the host is complaining and asking for $800 in damages for
- trash left behind
- dirty balcony floor ( she send pictures of 3 stains - 2 inches large each)
- broken cutting board ( supposed to be special wood that’s not allowed in dishwasher)
- burned house shoes ( never even seen her house shoes)
- missing espresso glass (dont know why it would be missing)
- stained couch (cant see any stains on pictures)
- egg on the floor (again, nothing on the picture)
- swollen wooden flooring (again, nothing to see on pictures)
- fuzzy balls from my house sock on the carpet
I tried to explain the host she left no cleaning products behind and it was quite hard to clean after myself with all the stores closed due to Easter holidays.
I offered my help to clean the balcony floor - drive 3 hours this weekend…clean and go back home. She refused.
I offered to pay for her cutting board as I did not know it was not allowed to put it in the dishwasher.
I apologized for my fuzzy socks but again, there was no vacuum cleaner.
I cant however accept such ugly accusations of staining her couch or damaging floor.
I take pride in being a good guest and actually keep in touch with some of my hosts. I clean after myself and I feel terrible for leaving the balcony floor dirty.
This whole case is going through resolution center and I am wondering how this works. I feel like I am being scammed and would hate for this to ruin my good reputation.
Thank you for any thoughts and input given