Yeah, but is it private?

Curious if anyone else has these questions posed to them: ‘We are considering booking but just wondering how private this is, like can you see your house or another house from the cabin?’ Or, ‘How private is the cabin?’ Or, ‘How many yards is the guest cabin from the main cabin?’
We get these questions periodically and they make us suspect. What are you planning to do that you desire not to be seen by man nor beast?

4 Likes

Smoke pot, I imagine.

2 Likes

“the cabin is xxx yards from then next one and is obscured by trees. But rest assured, our security cameras (see listing) mean monitoring 24/7.”

5 Likes

Maybe they aren’t planning anything nefarious, but just want privacy? Like, no noisy kids running around to contend with. Or could they be honeymooners, & want a romantic getaway? Ya just never know!

3 Likes

Maybe they like to have sex outdoors. Or they want to sneak in a pet or extra guests. And I’m surprised at how many “cabin” listings in the countryside I see that have no window coverings. Like the host thinks just because it’s in the countryside and “private” with lovely views, that guests will be okay with feeling like they are living in a fishbowl.

One host on another forum, who had had guests complain about this, asked what she could do to reassure guests that no one would walk by, that it was quite private, and when other hosts told her she needed window coverings, was totally resistant to the idea, because she liked the bare window thing. And another who also had guests complain about her walking by going about the daily chores on her little farm couldn’t understand why she needed to have window coverings in the living room as well as the bedroom.

4 Likes

My cabin has a huge picture window with no coverings at all. There is no seeing in though, the cabin sits up higher than the neighbors back yard that it overlooks you would have to get a ladder to see in. That said it has been mentioned a few times in the reviews. Usually about the light coming in in the morning. I am not going to change anything I do not want huge blinds that need dusting.

RR

8 Likes

Look for the thread about guys peeing off the decks LOL. I wouldn’t assume anything nefarious, just maybe they don’t want to be disturbed by ANYONE and that’s all the reason they need.

4 Likes

Curtains don’t need dusting. Just a bit of shaking out, a wash a couple times a year. I wouldn’t want to be woken up by morning light streaming in if I was on vacation, either.

1 Like

I would be happy if everyone had real blackout curtains in the bedrooms…and a bedside table with a lamp. I don’t expect a large family room with picture windows to have blinds/curtains unless it is specified as a sleeping place.

We just stayed in an Airbnb that was a historic home with LARGE beautiful windows. Loved them but they had what I would call sheers on one bedroom…even though they’d checked “room darkening” curtains. I had one host in this forum chastise me for asking about blackouts because “I could look it up” but in fact, what hosts check can mean a lot of things. Room darkening is NOT the same as light-blocking.

5 Likes

Many “glampsites” are groupings of tents, cabins or trailers, that seem quite close together, and if not in a wooded area I wouldn’t call them private at all even with window coverings. Cabins and trailers certainly are more soundproof than tents… but those sites are more like camping in a full campsite. Those guests have the plus of socializing with other campers, but whenever you are outside, those same strangers can see you.

I have had to remind future guests that ours is 1 site, and private, but not perfectly alone, as you can see our roof and neighbors homes 200 and 400 yards away.

I think a host should try to briefly describe the amount of privacy and from what, that is available so there is no confusion.

2 Likes

This is my thought. Some people dont was to see the neighbors or hear their barking dogs.

1 Like

Suspect what?

I think most of us have had those questions (and many other oddities) but as long as the guests pay, are quiet and not up to anything illegal, it doesn’t matter to me what they get up to.

2 Likes

“Darkening” definitely is open to interpretation. Sheers would sure be pushing the designation, though.
I do have that amenity checked, although I only have blackout fabric on one of the windows, where a streetlight shines in. The other windows all have heavy cotton curtains, which don’t turn the room into what seems like nighttime during the day, but definitely make the room much darker when closed- sort of twilight.

If you cannot see anyone else or any other dwellings you are truly taking a wilderness break – a perfectly understandable (and legitimate) vacation objective.

If you can see other houses/people and they can see you, then you are still in the suburbs… except with trees instead of lawns and flowerbeds.

1 Like

“What are you planning to do that you desire not to be seen by man nor beast?”

Run naked in the woods LOL

2 Likes

My SO and I are both nature loving introverts and I always look for the level of privacy if I am checking out a getaway. I have no desire to run into anyone or make small talk.

3 Likes

If you post your listing we will be able to tell you if those seem like legit questions.

3 Likes

I don’t think we should hold our breath waiting for that… :joy:

But since it has been mentioned in the reviews, which you would likely read you would not book my place and be disappointed:).

RR

1 Like

I don’t believe that when guys pee outside, they consider it a private activity. They consider it normal guy stuff.
And as every guy I’ve known just turns their back to anyone who happens to be around, unzips and pees if they feel the urge while outside, I guess I consider it normal guy behavior, too.
So I doubt a guest would ask about how private a listing is just because they like to pee off a deck.

2 Likes