Would You Rent a Room That Doesn’t Qualify as a Bedroom?

Where I live, building/zoning codes determine what can be called a bedroom. The code I’m most thinking about is the one requiring a window that qualifies as an “egress window” (meets certain minimum dimensions, is designed to open, is the proper height from the floor, etc.).

If you are renting just one room as a sleeping room, would you be concerned whether it qualifies as a legal bedroom?

To ask it another way, do you think a host is opening himself/herself to greater liability if the room rented as a sleeping room doesn’t meet local egress codes, such as in case of a fire?

Why would you even ask? 1. It’s illegal. 2. It voids any insurance you might have, which won’t insure you if you’re violating building or fire codes 3. It’s stupid.

3 Likes

Absolutely, yes. I don’t know how anyone would conclude otherwise.

2 Likes

I suspect @NordlingHouse is correct about it actually being illegal to rent out for guests to sleep in, but the strict legality might depend on the the complete configuration of the room. Where I live, egress and natural light are also code for a bedroom, but if there’s no door on the room, then it wouldn’t be any different than renting an airbed in your living room. Of course, the market for renting a common area in your home is a little different.

You admit it doesn’t meet code. What more do you want? Our approval to violate your local laws?

I was asking because I’ve seen a room like that on someone’s Airbnb listing.

1. If there is a fire someone could die and it would absolutely be your fault.
1 Like

I’ve seen multiple listings that don’t have windows or doors. I agree they shouldn’t be on Airbnb.

3 Likes

If you really need the income, then make that your bedroom and rent out your current bedroom. If you were to rent the windowless room you would be liable but if it’s you sleeping there, well you can’t sue yourself.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this, too. Someone in our town used to rent a basement bedroom w/o an egress window.

The insurance company would have a fit if they knew, but they probably don’t inspect. If the host lives in an area with regulations and inspections - maaaybe they’ll be caught. (Our regulations require inspections, but the lazy ass has signed off 5 years in a row without setting foot in my home, so I’m not so sure regulations are the answer).

You’d hope that a guest would complain and they’d yank the listing as quickly as they do over bedbugs. In that case they’d need a licensed exterminator to sign off. Maybe a home inspector?

2 Likes

I mean no, but I would want to know! Where we live it has to have Windows and a closet. But I know many spaces that don’t have a closet. With no windows, I would spin it as private space (not use the word room, and say something like " get to sleep in due to no sun peaking in (since this space is completely private, no windows). Make sure to have proper lighting, but as long as you never claim it as bedroom and keep it as a private room you should be fine.

That is a great idea! Really!

1 Like

Anyone who rents a room with no egress window is morally derelict. Some people think it’s fine to run an Airbnb like an 1870’S tenement.

3 Likes