Would you charge this guest extra money?

Very true. We’ve bad guests of every nationality in our home and good ones too.

Yes, keep the cleaning/room deposit. That is what it is for, isn’t it?

Gosh I’m so sorry for the state of your place. I would get your housekeeper to provide you an invoice with the added cost for additional cleaning. Show the photos to Airbnb, provide invoice, and skip trying to directly collect from the guest. If they are this type of guest (rich but not classy), they will probably not agree to the whole amount anyway and try to punish you for it in the review.

Our messiest/dirtiest guests are usually the rich but not classy type. Beijing, Sydney, Houston, Texas, doesn’t matter. They should be staying in hotels.

3 Likes

Holy moly! That looks exactly like one time I hosted a couple from mainland China!
It really upset me but regardless I charged for an extra cleaning via Airbnb after I called them and uploaded pictures.
I got the full amount.

But it’s still an experience I won’t forget although it happened years ago!
Some people are just pigs!
I hope you thumbed down them bastards and got some money back!

Wow I am shocked not by the mess but the fact you were game enough to post that!

That is the norm for us as well, my cleaners fight about whose job it is to clean up when we have Chinese stay as they know they are in for a hell of a job.

They always cook, just for a one night stay, use every utensil, leave them unwashed, use every surface, the BBQ, the oven and the stove and leave them filthy. They don’t follow house rules like putting the dishwasher on and leave rubbish everywhere.

Three times they have checked out and left the front door wide open with all heating/cooling appliances running and all lights left on.

We have a lot of young Asian students, but it’s not the Asians, it’s the Chinese, and we also think they must be used to servants. We also have issues with having to ask them to leave after check out time.

I have been to scared to mention it on somewhere like this for fear I would be labelled racist or accused of racial profiling.

I am not going to say I am not racist as “some of my best friends are Asian” but I will say my gorgeous sister is (adopted at 6 weeks old).

I only ask for extra cleaning costs if it takes longer than an extra hour. I once had to call in a second cleaner after such a group to be ready for our next guests, it took 2 cleaners 7 hours between them for a 2 bedroom apartment and a one night stay.

Airbnb didn’t pay as they said the invoices from my local “mum” cleaners weren’t professional cleaners. All my cleaners are mums who like the fact that they can fit the work in while their kids are at school.

3 Likes

Only one thing I know: we should focus on issues not personalities.

1 Like

The Filipinos, the Taiwanese, the Thai, the Indians, the Japanese, the Koreans, the Vietnamese and the older Chinese we have had stay have all been great guests who have picked up their rubbish, loaded the dishwasher and turned it on as they left. They haven’t left un refrigerated food everywhere attracting flies and piles of take away containers half eaten on the beds and the sofas and dirty dishes and rubbish everywhere you look.

However at least once a fortnight, probably more like once a week that is what my cleaners open the door to. Last week it was a young Australian couple who did it but that is unusual, unfortunately 99% of the time it’s young Chinese students having a break from uni.

It’s not racial profiling it’s a fact in my villas.

2 Likes

Of course it’s racial profiling, you’re linking a race/nationality to untidiness and making a generalisation. Focus on upping your game with enforcement of your house rules rather than prejudice against groups of guests.
I have just had 2 enquiries from Chinese for my homestay, both respectful and having read the rules. You cannot stereotype.

4 Likes

I wish I could say it was a generalisation but it is consistently every 1 to 2 weeks for the last 2 years, we have had it happen twice this week. We never have trouble with older Chinese, only uni students. As I said my cleaners don’t want to go in after they have stayed and argue between themselves about “whose turn is it this time”, but they are quite happy to do so when their picture shows that they are older.

We do have issues with other people in that age group, but only one every couple of months. I can understand how I sound but in my experience I am dealing with facts.

3 Likes

H J Eysenck said he was dealing with facts when he said African Americans were biologically not as intelligent as whites. It’s just never helpful to segregate and generalise your opinion on the basis of race/nationality. You will never solve your problem through racism.
Ask yourself how you can improve your management of your unit re guest cleanliness. Is it rules, communication, need for a deposit? Instructions for the guests including photos of how the listing should and should not look on check out?
Whatever, your racial profiling is unacceptable and it needs to stop. In any professional capacity in the UK you’d be fired for making such comments.

3 Likes

My last words on this topic, I will not be called a racist. Did you miss the bit where I said I have a Taiwanese sister?

This is nothing to do with race and all to do with whether you are used to cleaning up after yourself or whether you are used to making a huge mess and someone else comes in and cleans up.

6 Likes

Yeah and some of my best friends are whatever. YOU are making it about race because you are attributing the mess specifically to Chinese people. I categorically never called you a racist, because I don’t call people names. However your posts have been racist. Go and double check the definition.

4 Likes

yes, me too. It took longer than I was expecting though

3 Likes

I can’t believe I’m entering into this discussion. @Poppy is attributing the mess specifically to Chinese people because it’s Chinese people, specifically, that are causing the mess. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how this is racist.

4 Likes

It’s not relevant at all what nationality or race someone is. If they’re dirty then they’re dirty. It’s spreading prejudice about a certain race/nationality being dirty which is racist. I hope the penny’s dropped now.

1 Like

Recently had a pair of guests who complained about my mattress, saying it was too hard and “defective”. I related the story on this forum and didn’t mention the guests were black, because it was totally irrelevant.

If pretty much every black person that slept on the mattress had the same complaint, pointing out that fact would not be racist. If I said, “I hate all black people because they think the mattresses white people sleep on are too hard.”, that would be a racist comment.

I believe that all people everywhere should be treated with kindness, dignity and respect, until they prove themselves not deserving of such.

7 Likes

I don’t think this is racism. I’m Chinese (by race) and I am also wary of guests from China and America in terms of cleanliness, especially Americans. I’m wary of Western guests on doing drugs and Indian guests from their cooking. Every culture has a stereotype and we are wired to stereotype as an efficient way to cope with the excessive information we are being fed with all the time. We just need to control ourselves and not let that stereotype turn into something much more heinous, such as believing one race is superior than another, or basing our entire judgement purely on the stereotypes we have accumulated based on our past experiences.

13 Likes

anyone going to tell Daniel he’s racist and prejudiced?!

2 Likes

@Daniel_Lin

I wasn’t aware that the American stereotype is drugs and uncleanliness. Would that be all generations?

This is good to know by the way. Helps to know perceptions while traveling.

Edited to add: I am American.

And Brits are drunken football hooligans, chirpy Cockneys or have just stumbled off the set of Downton Abbey. Stereotypes are understandable but not useful.

1 Like