Would you charge this guest extra money?

I hosted a group of Chinese people a couple of days ago. Apart from a couple of glasses and a cheap lamp, they didn’t break anything, but they left the apartment extremely dirty and messy (see pictures below) and they didn’t follow the house rules:

• They broke two glasses and didn’t care to pick up the broken glass
  • They broke a lamp
  • Our house rules says “put dirty dishes in the dishwasher”, they left everything on the table and everywhere else in the apartment (see pictures)
  • They didn’t notify us when they left the apartment (as the house rules clairy say they should), they just left the key inside with the door unlocked
  • There were tons of garbage everywhere in the flat (see pictures), ON the floor, UNDER the beds, IN the beds, in the batrhoom, even in the kitchen closets!
  • They rearranged furniture, causing a lot of trouble for the cleaning company

Would you charge this guest more for all the extra work and damages?

Sorry, but this is situation normal for most of my Chinese guests. More suited to a hotel and obviously used to having staff.

3 Likes

Uh-oh, I have a bad feeling about this thread!

11 Likes

I think these guests imagine they are in an hotel. However I would not leave a hotel room like that either. Yes I would charge for cleaning and for the breakages. They need to be taught their behaviour is not acceptable in an Airbnb.
I recently had a Korean guest, who are also profiled as being messy, and the room was spotless.

4 Likes

I’m not sure about asking money but I sure as hell would give them 1 (one) star on cleanliness, which in my guidebook equals “Put these guests into jail.”

4 Likes

This is my personal experience!

1 Like

If that has been your experience, don’t you go bunkers each time another of their countrymen books your place?

Very very wary when they do!

I think our house rules should be adequate for dealing with any nationality. I find it’s a problem if guests have sexist attitudes e.g. think women don’t have the right to make rules or think women are there to pick up after people. I am sure I have experienced such several times but it would always be denied.

It is my understanding, from my own long term Chinese guest, that wealthy Chinese all have staff to clean house for them and see no reason why they should pick up after themselves.

Regardless, indeed, if you’re going to stay in an Airbnb then you need to understand the concept and abide by the rules. No host wants guests like that, so 1 star in each catatgory except maybe communication, and a thumbs down.

If you had to pay your cleaners more than normal, since you have those lovely photos, I would try to get them to pay the extra through the Resolution Center.

5 Likes

Review: CANNOT recommend Guest. They left my place absolutely filthy, and broke most of the House Rules – not to mention glassware and a lamp.

1 Star across the board.

You can obviously TRY to get Airbnb involved in restitution – call them and then send them the photos. But I would not hold my breath.

4 Likes

I would send airbnb the pictures and try to charge them at least an extra cleaning fee. We did that once and won when these people trashed one of the rooms in our house. Not all Chinese people are like that. We’ve had a couple problematic groups of them, but my boyfriend is also chinese so he can at least call them out on their behavior in their language lol. We’ve had a couple groups of chinese people who were wonderful too. As others have said, a lot of people just don’t understand the concept of Airbnb and don’t realize they’re not in a hotel.

2 Likes

Yes, they need to learn this lesson from their wallet. If not, they will continue with the next host. Disgusting

4 Likes

Same here. Very pleasant, but demanding, messy, and always want more than you can provide.

@Joa
Where is your apartment located?

They deserved to be penalized to set an example of others. Go ahead.

2 Likes

That’s pretty bad. I would try to get the extra cleaning reimbursed. It worked for me (once) when I had guests who invited a bunch of people over against house rules and left a huge mess. The worst of it was the cooking oil over every single surface in the kitchen (cabinet fronts, the TOP of the fridge (?)) and you couldn’t see that very well from the photos, but the Airbnb CS person actually said “I believe you.” Let us know what happens, okay? BTW, my guests were from Western Nevada.

1 Like

OMG they were awful. Can you keep their deposit?

My guess: this wasn’t caused by just a couple. I’d charge for the lamp, extra cleaning fee, and one star on rules/cleanliness. I’d make it clear in the review, without the “better suited to a hotel” dance, “These guests treated my home like a garbage dump.” I’d add, “The degree of mess they left behind indicated that they may have brought more guests than the reservation indicated.” Sad. So sorry you encountered this disrespect.

2 Likes

They have left your apartment in shambles and definitely deserve one star. I totally sympathise with you.

But not sure what the value is in calling out their nationality as it detracted from the question. And people chiming in with negative generalisations about certain nationalities really isn’t useful conversation either. Some people are pigs, it doesn’t matter what country they are from.

6 Likes