Wifi Porter - The best way to manage wifi

Wifi Porter is a new device that connect your guests to Wi-Fi by tapping on the device or scanning a QR code. It ends tedious typing of long passwords, and is a fantastic way to prevent property owners from getting texts about Wi-Fi at all hours.

www.tenonedesign.com/porter.php

Although this is still very new, some of the first feedback was from short-term rental owners who were excited to get them installed. We’re here to learn more about if it’s a good fit, to give you a great discount, and listen closely for suggestions on how we can improve it.

Wifi Porter is carved from a block of hard maple, and is compatible with iOS and Android. Unlike other solutions, Wifi Porter doesn’t require any special apps to use, and it doesn’t require the host to be nearby. Wifi Porter works with nearly all current phones, and is compatible with the latest standards. Network credentials are optionally displayed on the bottom of the Wifi Porter as a backup method for laptops and other devices. We offer a free instruction card to place under Wifi Porter to help guests connect.

Wifi Porter is so excited (and nervous) to show you this work. You’re a bunch of smarties with good critique and suggestions. Please do let them know what you think (good and bad!).

Would this be helpful? Did they miss anything? All comments are appreciated, and have a great day!

1 Like

HI Everyone,

I’m Dave, with Ten One Design and a member of the forum. I’m excited to be sharing this with you. We keep hearing from folks who are planning to use Wifi Porter for their short-term rental.

We’d really love your feedback, and for or anyone who may like to try Wifi Porter, use coupon code AIR to receive a 40% discount on our website.

All comments are appreciated!

1 Like

It looks intriguing. My only concern is, How do I keep it from being stolen?

Aren’t there websites that allow you to put in your SSID/Password and generate a printable piece of paper with QR code that guests can use with their phone camera? I’ve never used them, so maybe there’s an advantage I don’t understand (besides the obvious touch/NFC feature of this device, which is already more convenient than scanning a QR code).

This looks really cool!
My initial feedback is the instructions aren’t good enough for short term guests- everything needs to be spelled out in detail and I think this would just confuse them! From my read, it also looks like the tap functionality will only be for a small amount of people (at this stage) meaning they would need to access instructions at the bottom.
I think if you could design very clear instructions (in a similar style to the ones you have now), I would definitely purchase it.

Great question. Wifi Porter is configured with an app on a mobile device. During configuration you can choose to lock the Wifi Porter to that mobile device. This means that anyone who takes this with them would not be able to use or re-program that Wifi Porter and wouldn’t deter someone from taking it out of the house. Maybe this could be better, how do you discourage guests from taking other free standing items?

1 Like

This is really helpful to hear!

Yes, the tap to connect feature is exclusive to Android devices, for now. We hope to see a change later this summer, though Apple keeps their cards pretty close on future features. We’d love to make some changes, perhaps even design a new sheet specific to AirBnB. Are there any specific additions that you think would help things be more clear? Perhaps a step-by-step breakdown of the process in bullet point style? (images of current instructions sheets attached for reference)

Yes, there are definitely DIY ways to do this yourself with website that generate a QR code or even NFC tags available on amazon. One of our design is an aesthetically appealing way to display/share Wi-Fi credentials. Wifi Porter offers a clean minimal design that can fit in with most design aesthetics and provide Wi-Fi credentials while feeling right at home on the coffee table, mantle, countertop or wall.

It’s very nice looking. But I think it solves a problem that I don’t have. I set up guest WiFi with a plain English access code that I just write on the white board.

1 Like

Excellent question as well. Most of my freestanding items are not things that guests would normally take. What I do have, dishes, décor, etc is mostly from Thrift stores or similar. Easily replaced for minimal costs. All my small remotes that might get pocketed by accident (heaters in this case) I have attached a flat key fob with a bulky lanyard that makes it less likely to be slipped into a pocket. I don’t think that is going to deter someone that thinks they can use this neat little device. If there was a way to attach it possibly to a wall with a bracket that they could rotate the bottom end up for the QR code?

1 Like

Only problem I see with that is what height to put it at on the wall for everyone to be able to read it. This issue is mostly for those that require reading glasses I would think.

Finding a way to rotate on a fixed bracket may be challenging with the current design, though we like the of idea of finding a way for Wifi Porter to be fully useable and secured.

2 Likes

Not necessarily and I probably shouldn’t give away this idea for free, but . . . . . You could attach a beveled frame to a bracket that would attach to the wall, that the device would slip into as an add on for folks that need that kind of security. The frame would need a way to lock it, a small TSA style padlock or similar would work. If you cannot visualize it I will attempt to draw something up for you :wink:

I think you should GIVE one away to the first 25 or so hosts who comment here. That would be a good sample size for market research

Rr

6 Likes

I like this idea. I’m going to mull it over and see what I can put together. Thanks for the suggestion!

3 Likes

Interesting idea - However it looks like a solution looking for a problem.
its something else that needs dusting.

Until I have a guest complain that they can’t access my WiFi with a straightforward password… I’ll pass - Good luck with it.

3 Likes

I almost bought one of these, had it in my cart–but then thought, there are four people in my family, they all have different phones, Iphone and Androids. How often do we upgrade our phones, not very often. With this being a new concept, another question is how often are you going to upgrade it and how will that effect my family–and

Another key problem seems to be in comparability with different Android and iPhone versions.

During any given week I might have a dozen guests, all wanting to get on the Internet and all with different phones.

Right now I have four guests, they leave Sunday, and Monday I have four more coming. With eight different phones, this could be a nightmare because IF this only works with half the phones that means there will ge four guests who can not get on the internet and will be complaining to me while here, and who will perhaps leave me a negative review when they talk about their stay with me.

They can still get on the “old fashioned” way by typing in the password…