Why You Need Home Share Insurance

I truly don’t know but somehow I doubt Slice shares info with the big homeowners insurance companies.

I can tell you based on (extremely limited!) personal experience that a homeowners insurer for a small second home I purchased (not Airbnb-ing that one yet) as a pied a terre near my kids knew about two years-old water damage claims at my primary residence, and upped my rate accordingly, stating that was the reason.

Hey! Not planning to go bankrupt! But I might have to buy another gun since it’s a protected asset. I’m not a Texas lover at all and don’t think it’s all that great. I am an El Paso lover though and wish we were our own state of part of NM.

I told my home insurer about Airbnb and they refused to continue my cover. I live in my Airbnb. After lots of searching and haggling I found two insurers who would insure me fully for all Airbnb claims and normal property claims. I went with the more expensive one as the coverage was better. It cost me twice as much as my normal home policy. For people in Australia the insurers are NRMA and BJS. I sleep much better now knowing that if some fruit cake burns my house down, all is well. I run two rooms so I could also be up for two lots of liability claims as well in the incidence of fire.

3 Likes

Slice doesn’t require that you submit a claim through your primary home insurance company if it’s related to Airbnb. They pay it out completely. They also don’t share this info with your primary insurer as they don’t ask for this info.

I have an insurance underwriting background and this is completely true. This is why I stress that Airbnb hosts should always disclose this to their insurance companies. If your house burns down and it has nothing to do with Airbnb (e.g. you don’t even have guests staying with you at the time) but your insurer finds out, they could deny coverage, claiming that you misrepresented material facts and didn’t act in utmost good faith. It’s a hassle to have to find another insurer if your company says they want to cancel, but a little inconvenience to get the proper coverage in case of calamities is a small price to pay to know that you’re fully covered. If you’re okay with the worst case scenario of having no coverage if someone sues you if they get hurt or your house burns down, then that’s no issue but personally, there’s no way I could pay for a personal injury claim or rebuild my house if it burned to the ground. But I’m extra conservative about these things so I’m probably more of a minority in being extra cautious.

4 Likes

I think this has now been changed to primary with the host guarantee, although I know it is not considered insurance.

I bet if I had an insurance underwriting background I’d that way as well. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Me too. My broker once told me, never ever let your kids ride motorcycles! She had filed and processed too many tragic claims…
No offense to K9 because I know you were a Harley person! :grinning: clearly you always rode safely!

No offense taken. But honestly I was not an always safe rider. I was lucky. But I rode many times with no helmet, nor jacket, even a few times in shorts and sandals. Crazy. But like many crazy people I survived.

1 Like

I heard a comment once about motorcycle riding.

“You’ve either gone down or you are going down.” Only two choices.
Glad you stayed safe!

Totally ! It’s a hazard of the job I guess :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Insurance carriers have a claim report on you… kinda like a credit report. It follows you… I had a claim on damaged carpet in my home I sold years ago, but it pops up every now and again when getting quotes for my current home.

2 Likes

And this is why insurance should only be claimed upon for large claims. I made the mistake of calling them out to look at my roof after a windstorm. They didn’t even pay out anything but it counted as a claim and when I was shopping for new homeowner’s insurance I was denied because of a “claim within the last five years.” Insurance should be for disasters, not a substitute for a savings account.

1 Like

I don’t know if the insurance carriers share their reports with other companies, but we know from experience that they raise the rate on you as soon as you make a claim. That’s why we “self-insure” for the smaller things. Since we have no intention of making claims on smaller items, we raised the deductible and are saving on the insurance cost and keep that money in our pocket in case we need it in the future.

3 Likes

Generally speaking it does not pay to swap dollars or any other currency with Insurers, just not cost effective, one of the reasons health care in the US is such a mess but that is another story.

Also a reason the Host Guarantee has issues. To put it kindly.

1 Like

Would the Slice company do that as well? Be part of a claim data base?

Only call them if there is a major disaster! Very good advice! Remember we had someone here say they were going to make a claim for something small, I forgot what it was?? Damage to a lamp or something?

I’ve not made a claim in the 15 years I have owned my house. This past year my premium went down, and I was dumbfounded. Every year it has gone UP.

Before I moved to Hawaii, I claimed on lightning damage to my desert home’s pump system. They not only paid for a new pump but also for the well which needed to be dug an additional 100 feet because the well was going dry. That had nothing to do with the lightning strike!

Not sure… Is Slice to property insurance what AFLAC is to health insurance? I just went with Proper for full coverage on a vacation rental. Typical insurance for this unit would be $525, I am paying $720 for the unique coverage of vacation/transient short term rental. The golden rule of Insurance… it covers everything until the minute you need it.

1 Like

My carpet claimed was not only shared with other companies… it followed me to a different state.

2 Likes

In the US, any insurance claims are listed on your credit report and you can’t even sneeze these days without someone pulling that. Your new insurance company will know about every, single claim you have ever made.

1 Like