Why did you increase your price?

So, I went to update my smart pricing parameters, and got this query as to why I raised my prices…

3 Likes

I change my prices every day and I just click “close” on that pop up 90% of the time.

1 Like

They say that the idea is to help them suggest better prices in the future so probably 50% of the time, I do say why.

Where is the option for, “I had a revelation that it just isn’t worth my time and energy to host for $xxx.xx.”?

7 Likes

that’s interesting - I don’t have it have it in the mid-Atlantic

1 Like

fuckers. Ignore them.
Their goal is to drive prices down down down.
We are nothing to them

4 Likes

:smile: A man after my own heart!

1 Like

Isn’t that option 5? :wink:

1 Like

Could you please explain me the parameters from which they count the smart price, because it isn’t even an average market price? I was shocked when I chose smart pricing and got the price which was three times lower than mine, in fact at that price in my city you can only book a room, not the whole apartments (64 square meters) with 2 rooms.

No, it isn’t.

And I don’t doubt in the future that someday they don’t allow people to list UNLESS Air controls the pricing. They’re not trying to gather this valuable data for nothing!

1 Like

That’s an interesting thought. I do think it’s interesting that they obviously make more money on the higher priced rentals, but then they seem to want to flood the market with low priced rentals. I guess it’s the same mentality of lowering prices on your units when they’re coming close and not booked, better to make $25 than have an empty bed. But you’d think they’d be better off long term with high-quality rentals charging slightly less than hotels and commercial properties than be flooded with tons of low-value, low quality rooms.

I just want them to crack down on the commercial properties and hotels listing. “Hosts” with more than a few listings (other than multiple rooms in their home or maybe 2-3 locations) really defeats the purpose. If that doesn’t get cracked down on, then the rest of us suffer.

5 Likes

I agree that long term they would be better off with quality homes. I don’t really have any idea of where the 6-12% varies depending on the total price and what Air earns. But I think it is all about how quickly they can convert a looker into a booker. So the cheaper the rate, and the more flexible the cancellation policy, and instant book capability…all gets a travelr to quickly make a decision and hit “click.”

Since Air still keeps their service fee, even if a traveler cancels last minute with flexible policy…they could care less if the guest ever stays in a place on their site. In the end, the homeowner could have those dates blocked off for many months…they can’t rebook last minute, but Air got to make money off the transaction. Sweet deal for Air!

1 Like

That’s a good point too. Flood the market with bookings. Who cares if people cancel, I still get my fees. Ugh.

1 Like

It’s not them who sets the price but YOU. It will not go below the minimum you set. You know the value of your place better than anyone else does.

2 Likes

Here’s a fascinating article in the Harvard Business Review on this subject. How can the PTB at ABB not see that it is already becoming waaaaaaay too much of a good thing? This model is not only unsustainable, it’s beginning to create ghost towns of tourists in places like Paris, Venice and others. No wonder the cities are pushing back. Air needs to go back to its original model of one host, one home. The commercial proliferation is beginning to decimate communities. Not good at all.

2 Likes

@konacoconutz and @Sarah_Warren

I agree with you about the multiple listings on ABB. I get so annoyed trying to find “a private room,” and there are pages of hotel rooms. I know there are some posters here on this forum who have multiple listings that they don’t live in. They aren’t hosts.

4 Likes

You should send that to ABB in an email, from a guests perspective!

Uber is being sued for price fixing because it classifies its drivers as independent contractors, yet dictates the price. I don’t think Airbnb wants to pay all of the hosts as employees, so I doubt that they will insist on setting the prices.

I am really not familiar with Uber at all, and how much control Uber dictates over it’s drivers.

But I don’t consider myself to be an independent contractor of Airbnb whatsoever.