Why did I agree to this booking?

Or is it for that particular number :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I agree with both these points.
To reconcile the two a bit more, I’d propose to implement a feature in the forum software whereby moderators can mark a particular post as ‘off topic’. Off-topicked posts will then either appear a bit duller or have some other indication. (As far as I’ve seen the software does not offer this feature - I’ve seen a feature to move some topics to a new thread, but I’m guessing folk are happy for the banter ones to stay.)

That way, it’s easier to run through those posts relevant to the thread, while maintaining the social value tangential banter offers.

If mods see value in this, we can discuss this separately.

2 Likes

While it is a good idea, there just isn’t the time that most volunteer moderators would want to dedicate to marking posts off topic, or deciding if it should remain because part of it is on topic and part off topic.

But it might be a lot of fun to start one thread that just moves random off topic posts there - and then see what kind of conversation forms…kind of like conversation mad libs. :joy:

2 Likes

I have a suite with two bedrooms and a single futon couch so I can sleep five (six if I use an air mattress or something). I’ve had similar situations. Once I had a young couple that met up with friends in town, and then brought one of them back to stay. Since I have two bedrooms in the suite, I had made up both beds (not because the couple would be using them, but because I made the bed in advance for the next reservation). The “extra” guest came home with them very late (like 3am) and then used the second bed. The next morning they all three just waltzed out the door. I texted them and indicated that they had broken the house rules (about no extra guests) and told them that they needed to pay me (in cash) the extra person fee. Heard nothing. Then on the last day, they handed me the extra $20 and said, “sorry, we didn’t know the rule.” They were quite young and so maybe just clueless. I didn’t mention it in the review because it was resolved prior to them leaving.

I also had a party of four (a couple and two single people) I told them there were two beds (a queen and a double). They showed up, I gave the tour. I assumed the couple would take the double bed, the singles would share the queen. That night I heard a lot of banging around upstairs. Next day I discovered they had decided to unfold my futon and rummage around to find some linens and one of them slept on that. Then they didn’t even tell me about it! So not only did I have to put everything back, I had additional laundry to do as a surprise. I didn’t mention it in the review because what’s the point? They probably thought they were being “resourceful” and not bothering me.

Another situation I had was an older couple. They used both beds (maybe they don’t sleep together at home) and never once mentioned it beforehand or afterwards.

Now, I do these things:
I always ask in advance unless it’s clear from the message (“I notice there are four of you, what’s the bed configuration that you need?” "Are you sure that your teenage sons will sleep in the same bed?"
I don’t make the other bed unless the reservation is specifically for two+ people that ask for both beds and/or futon.
I don’t leave bed linens (or anything “extra”) in the suite; they get one towel (2 for longer stays) per person.
If they want to use a second bed, futon, towels, etc. they have to ask me first.

On the other hand, I’ve had a family of 5 (where they used both beds, the futon and an extra mattress on the floor) strip the beds for me and offer to bring them to the laundry room. So, you kind of have to roll with it. And make friends with the local “wash and fold” launderette.

3 Likes

Thank you @cabinhost for taking a moment to reply.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood something - it’ll be no different than clicking the Like button as one reads a post, and I think every mod here uses the LIKE feature without any hesitation.

(If you’re thinking this has to be done to past posts, NO.) Mods will see a new button next to the LIKE button, and if they deem it’s off topic, they click it and go about stuff. Once one mod has clicked it, no other mod needs to do anything.
Anyways, help me understand what extra time is needed to be dedicated.

To clarify…the extra time would be in regards to “deciding” whether to throw the post into the off topic camp or just keep in the regular thread. For example, someone replying with one sentence that is “somewhat” on topic. But the poster starts going into an off topic rant. Does it stay, or does it get marked?

And then if there are some threads where maybe none of the moderators are paying attention then some off topic posts won’t get marked. Then some posters may “believe” others are getting preferential treatment and email the moderators asking why this post wasn’t marked but their’s was.

My crystal ball tells me that some moderators will “forget” and it will end up with random posts marked off topic here and there.

But I do see your point, that it would at least help to alleviate some of the wading through even if not all off topic posts were caught.

Just not something I am in interested in committing too. Plus, I have a feeling even if they are “marked” those posts will still be read by people who hate off topic posters. :joy:

1 Like

Thank you for taking your time to look into this @cabinhost

Oh no @Astaire you’ve been on the forum for less than a month and complaining about off topic posts :-1: often the most amusing.

The mods do step in when something gets out of hand but let’s not make this a strict and rule bound boring affair. I’m sure there are lots of tax and accounting forums out there for people that want those kind of tight regimes :money_mouth_face: I come here for a bit of help, to offer a bit of help but mostly for some light entertainment :clown_face:

3 Likes

Sorry @Emily I wasn’t complaining about anything, if you read what I was saying. Nor do I want to make this a strict and rule-bound boring affair, just the contrary. Your derision is unwarranted.

1 Like

Now now… Astaire has been a participant in some of our best off topic posts, as has Emily! Let’s all be friends shall we? :heart_eyes::tada:

5 Likes

Thank so for your support, I genuinely appreciate the comararedrie, and welcome new members with ideas and a pulse, I agree let’s all be friends and I do see the irony that this is all off topic he he​:heart_eyes_cat::scream_cat::clap:t2:

1 Like

Lol @emily

With regard to staying on topic - Emily is right. Never going to happen @Astaire, best get used to it. It used to drive me crazy (necroing still drives me crazy) but I have thus far largely resisted the temptation to flounce or fuss.

1 Like

What makes you think I’m arguing for staying on topic? @Zandra, please read my original point, I do not want to be misrepresented. Thanks.

Did I misunderstand where you proposed off topic comments to be moved/marked off topic?

I’m afraid so. I was only talking about allowing for a distinction between on-topic and off-topic posts. Not any different from Liked and not-(clicked)-Like posts. To insinuate I might be making a fuss is unfair.

@astaire you proposed that off topic should be marked. A moderator then mentioned moving them. By either marking them or moving them you are advocating distinction that does not exist on this forum.

Further once people start having their posts marked as off topic they will likely feel that rules are in place (rules that actually do not exist) and contribute less as a result.

Be careful with replying to my posts too quickly by the way. I post, and immediately edit for errors/ flow/ completeness. I do this 100% of the time and can edit three or four times so you might jump on something only to find I’ve changed my post slightly.

Final edit: I shared with you I have resisted the urge to flounce or fuss. I as in ‘me, myself and I’. There’s no point reading a hidden dig or you’ll find offence around every corner.

1 Like

I don’t even think it is technically possible to mark posts like this, so the arguement basically becomes moot.

That’s what I was proposing to implement in the software myself! I know how the underlying forum software used here works, so I would submit the change to the sysadmin to incorporate it into the existing base or work with the sysadmin for the deployment.

Oh right! I forgot that. Well… since it would make more work for us mods, I’m not sure we would all love it (as much as we love you!) :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

But since we are on the topic, or off the topic, as the case may be…

What are some other changes you think could make the forum better?
Keeping in mind, this is a privately funded forum and the owners’ intent in keeping it up is basically so hosts can learn from each other. Which is why they want us to remove obvious spam links or links that take users to outside places such as someone’s blog about Airbnb.

The final feature need not exactly be how I’ve envisaged it. For me, an idea is one that spawns other ideas, so I’m happy if this leads to something else.

My key objective there was to both allow for off-topic banter and help retain focus on the topic for hosts’ benefit - ultimately it’s a question of balance and experienced users here including the mods know this best.

For example, one variation of my original idea is to have the feature allow anyone (Member or preferably Regular and above) to mark as off-topic, and once that’s marked by more than x people, it’ll then grey out, or something similar.

There’s a whole bunch of things that can be improved. But this might work better if it came from mods - or at least, the pet peeves and pain points - I can then propose solutions.

How about a new thread that identifies this? Based on what level of focus you want, we can have a mods + me discussion to start with, potentially opening it up to everyone later. Leave that to you.

Aw thank you! :blush: Fully reciprocated :star_struck:
And that’s in fact why I’m trying to propose such things, to make mods’ life easier and the forum more useful.

1 Like