Where Are the Good Old Guest Problems?

Of course I know why we’re not posting about guest problems and asking for help with reviews. Few of us have any guests.

But I am tired of the why-isn’t-Airbnb-paying-me posts and the how-to-get-unemployment posts and the what-will-we-do-whenever posts. I’m also bored with recipes, remodeling, and even humor. (I must be in a bad mood.)

Is there anything else to talk about as hosts—realizing that some of us may never again get to be hosts?

5 Likes

I have good old guest problems :unamused: Med professional insists on leaving his work shoes in the back foyer, stinking of bleach no less (or at least). Who does that? At least just leave them outside your door. I feel like I can see the covid swimming around on them everytime I take my dog out to the backyard :grimacing:

There’s no telling what he’s doing to my duvet, kettle or toilet paper :wink:

4 Likes

You may as well just burn the place down after this one!

5 Likes

I have had a few essential workers, like 4 bookings for the whole month. I had one asshat not pay the dog fee and leave a greasy mess, thankfully he was on VRBO and I was able to claim against his deposit. Its time like this when I think to myself WHY does Air make it so hard sometimes.

3 Likes

Seriously. The med professional is a direct-book. And I took a $1600 security deposit. Really appreciating that about now. :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

But, seriously, if those shoes are so gross as to not go into his apartment, what makes him think we want to walk by them all of the time? And dripping bleach all over the place too. You just know he’s sleeping on the throw pillows or something ,)

1 Like

6 Likes

No time for guests, I’m working on an app to solve all hosts’ problems. It basically is just a small subset of the Airbnb app’s features, but it requires a paid subscription, shows you advertisements, and skims your personal information.

10 Likes

So how about a good guest story.

I decided to rent to some essential workers because they told me it’s pretty scary out there in regards to what’s available to rent. We started with a one week rental. So many hosts in my area are not willing. Usually within a week, I’m ready for my guests to leave. This couple is nice, oh so quiet and clean. I actually am getting less in my unemployment check because I’ renting to them (at 1/3 my normal rate) but in my own little way I feel like I’m helping with the pandemic.

Making some money and helping these folks delivery groceries from warehouse to our supermarket shelves.

6 Likes

I get that. It’s raining again here, that always makes me grumpy.

The guy in the small fruit and veg shop was grumpy as well this morning, FFS I was only buying some potatoes and we were almost snarling at each other!

JF

2 Likes

There is definitely an isolation fatigue frustration setting in. There are just not a lot of host forum topics if people are not hosting. I suspect that this is one of the few places people get to vent these days, but I understand that you’ve had enough. When I feel this way, I just check in less often.

2 Likes

Why not just say something… Dude, your shoes are gross leave them outside…

[quote=“JJD, post:5, topic:41753”]
throw pillows

I used this pandemic as a reason to remove the throw pillows and anything else that is not easily washable. That stuff is not going back in I hated it to begin with. My place may look sterile and smell like bleach but that is a positive now!

RR

4 Likes

I said something to him about something else last week. He’s got a hard job. Gonna be patient and pick my battles :wink:

The covers come off for washing. You can get covers to go over the throw pillows you already have. Avaliable online at lots of places. Even Ikea has a big selection that are inexpensive. And they are super easy to make as well.

Nah. Home-away-from-home or bust… :grin:

2 Likes

Here’s a good one. My last guests left me this gem. They were construction workers that stayed from March 29-April 7. This is where they parked their work truck on the driveway. There were 4 distinct places where it leaked. I took this photo today. I have already done 3 degreasing treatments. Looks like I need to buy a microbial/enzyme degreaser.

1 Like

Also I hope it tells you to drop your prices and chides you for your guest not seeing the soap that was in the soap dish. That would be great.

6 Likes

I am so happy I took the carpet and drapes out last year. I didn’t have any throw pillows but the throw rugs have been taken out for the foreseeable future. They aren’t easily washable but I can put the outside and pressure wash. But with my one night turnovers I don’t see myself going to that much trouble. I am really looking forward to opening up again and think I’ll do well. I just don’t know when that will be. Right now I have remodeling going on and after that I need to see if a friend of mine is going to come stay here and study for the bar exam. So it could be two weeks or 3 months before I open again.

3 Likes

I did too. I took out the sham pillows, the curtains and even the shower curtain (I have a liner and all the windows have blinds or shades too).

It used to take me 1 1/2 hours to clean the place (and a deep cleaning once month) but now just to clean, I leave the place vacant for a week, then it takes about 3-4 hours to clean.

I’m not sure if it makes sense to continue or to just sell my home and downsize.

4 Likes

You should buy some kind of coating for the concrete to greaseproof it.

I must have missed the memo about driveways not having grease stains?

2 Likes

@JJD I’m in your camp. Since when is a driveway or garage supposed to look as clean as the floors in your house? As well, I can never figure out why people get so upset about their car bumper getting dented- isn’t that what a bumper is for? To keep the car itself from getting dented? It’s like getting fussed because your apron, that you put on to keep your clothes clean, got some food stain on it.

3 Likes

Never, but it still looks like crap. Anyway I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s an HOA rule that one must keep the driveway stain free.

1 Like