When guests' daily schedule differs from yours

the last few just say that they are working, but yet, none of them are waking before 9 a.m. I’m up and running my house by 9 a.m.
Should I slink around and be quiet? Or should I wake them up? Or should I do nothing and hope that they hear that the day is started?
I mean, this is during the week. I have things to do computers to turn on people to talk to and I like.
What I have found with the last few is that they probably just overslept, and then they’re rushing around the house in the morning.
Is this a millennial thing that they just get to work whenever they want?

At what point would you begin your normal daily routine, knowing that it would be much louder?
This is the fourth guest in 2 months that have been doing this too.

No. You should not be waking the guests up. They have paid, not your problem if they are late for work. Most of my working guests are not 9-5ers but I don’t get involved. Nor do I change my routine in any way. I’m quiet as I can before 7am and after 11pm and expect guests to do the same. Thats it.

I am curious, how loud is the computer you need to put on???

3 Likes

If you provide breakfast ,start at the cut of time, say 10 or 11. I put it in my listing that we get up for school at 7.00am, if this does not suit you an alternative host may be a better fit. I start cleaning at 11 , mind you some people can sleep through that. Your home your rules and continue your normal routine.

1 Like

It’s not loud lol. But I need to clean and vacuum and run errands and the like.
I know if I was a guest and I woke up and the hosts wasn’t here? And they hadn’t told me? I could possibly get a little freaked out.

I suspect that my setup is different than yours since the guests are tucked away on the third floor. They have doors to close and a curtain to pull if they want privacy/quiet.

One of my few house rules is “ascending past our bedroom quietly between 11pm - 7am.” I use those as my “quiet” time which really just means I am not flushing toilets [pipe sounds travel everywhere] or making conference calls on speaker. Kitchen noises don’t travel that far. And the only other sound someone might make to disturb is a vacuum and that isn’t an issue either. Oh, and I don’t make buttonholes if I haven’t heard the guests yet. The old Singer Buttonholer makes a sound that could drive many to drink.

You might consider quiet hours along with a statement about your work hours, and that you work from home. I tend to err on the side of caution. When people sleep/don’t sleep really isn’t any of my business.

These are not high school students on homestay. These are adults. I fear you are getting too involved and will a. Burnout b. Invade your guests privacy and space. Trust
Me, if you are not there when they wake up they are likely to be happy to have some space to snoop around and chill and chat, rather than be freaked out the host is out living their life.
Y

1 Like

Hi @Imdana2

Some of my guests work, some are tourists, some students.

When my guests arrive I let them know about my working hours and that I normally out of the house around 8 a.m. and need to use the bathroom for the half hour before that.

If they work too, we work around each other in terms of morning bathroom use.

I don’t provide breakfast but if I did I would give them a time slot and after that a help yourself option.

I wouldn’t be doing house work in the early hours.

I would keep any noise to standard working hours ie computers, calls, hovering et 9.00 a.m. onwards unless you have children getting up for school etc. Just let your guests know about your home ‘working hours’ and any standards you expect around housekeeping/quiet time etc.

As others have mentioned if your guests work it’s up to them to get themselves up and out.

2 Likes

I have many guests who sleep late; as late as 3:00 P.M. After 9:00 A.M. I figure that they are sound sleepers so I go about my daily routine with the exception of vacuuming. I don’t vacuum unless everyone in the house is awake. If I run the food processor or stand mixer while guests are asleep I close the kitchen door. We provide disposable earplugs.

I wish posters on this board would curtail the tendency to use the time frame of people’s birth as a way to insult them.

I send guests an email on the Airbnb email system when I go out. I assume that adults won’t be freaked out that I’m gone, but they might enjoy knowing that they have the house to themselves.

1 Like

Wasn’t a way to insult him at all. It was just generalization. Just like when people talk about how people are young people I’ve just noticed that the last three guess that I’ve had issues with sleeping in on our all about the same age I was trying to find out if it was a common thread or not
Interesting little tidbit. Right after I posted this and started getting responses, my guest ran out of the door realizing he was late.

Again speaking from experience. The last guest I had? I forgot to mention it to her, and she woke up and literally texted me three or four times asking but are you OK and where was I? So she got completely freaked out. That’s why I was asking if either people did tell them or not

Unless a guest has specifically told you that want a wake-up call or similar i would not disturb them. I think you should try to limit noise, but should not go out of your way. Maybe don’t vacuum or bang on drums.

3 Likes

Perhaps you should just rely on your wealth of experience then as you do not seem open to the feedback on here, in direct response to your request for advice. It is really exhausting to try to help people and get these sarcastic, defensive responses because you didn’t give the OP the reassurance that their view or way is the only right one, the hidden intention behind some ‘questions’. So please enjoy mine.

Wake your guests up and tell them all your movements and create a high dependence parental relationship with them. It really doesn’t affect me. The unnecessary anxiety over this issue does appear, based on your own statements, to be affecting you.

You did however not ask a question about a series of guests indicating their expectation of this approach in your question. You specifically said ‘you’ would be ‘freaked out’:

‘I know if I was a guest and I woke up and the hosts wasn’t here?’

1 Like

Huh???
I was just saying from experience I’ve encountered three people all of a specific age group who have had this issue. Trying to find out if it’s something that’s common with the age group as Airbnb guests, or if I just been lucky enough to have three guest who like to oversleep.
There was zero sarcasm in my response.

As I mentioned, my last guest, who was in her early 20s, did actually freak out when I was not here. She didn’t look on the app to see that I had left her a message telling her I would be out in the morning. So she began texting me through the app only to finally hear me say, I messaged you this morning. To let you know.
Not sure how the three experiences I had with all the sleepers and the one experience with the young girl freaking out because nobody was in the home, Countess sarcasm? I’m really looking for feedback here.

I waited this afternoon to actually do the vacuuming. And will probably do that in the future, but this morning I wanted to be able to make coffee, and start breakfast for myself. I don’t offer it to my guests as they are only renting a room not the whole entire location.

And I had to put some washing and other things so my day didn’t run late into the evening. I wanted to find the best way of being able to compromise and do everything, while still being a good host.
Concerns me that I get a response like this from somebody who apparently has been a host much longer than I, makes me wonder why am even doing this. I thought it was to make people happy and enjoy the time while they were here

2 Likes

The fact that you’ve seen three people of a specific age group do something doesn’t mean that there is a correlation between the age group and the behavior. Anecdotes aren’t evidence. I’ve had plenty of guests of all age groups who like to sleep way past 9:00 A.M.

Apparently your last guest was fearful. Again, it is her personality not her age group.

1 Like

And that’s all I wanted to know. Whether it was a specific age group because it might be something that’s cultural now? And the same thing with not letting the guest stay on her own. Again. Didn’t know if it was cultural age group, cultural to her culture, or just a young girl who was scared? Thanks so much for telling me everything I needed to know.

thank you

Dana

1 Like

I don’t get what you mean by “cultural now”. All the time I’ve been alive I’ve known people with different circadian rhythms. My husband is a morning person. I am a night owl. I have several friends who work in restaurants and bars. They usually go to sleep at 3:00 to 4:00 A.M. and rarely wake up before noon. My father was a musician who worked at night, came home late and slept late.

2 Likes

To your original post on this thread.

I think ABB guests have to assume some consumer responsibility, so if you have quiet hours listed, guests should then expect those are the hours you are quiet, and after those hours, your day begins.

An ABB guest who is renting a shared home environment, should be well aware of the fact that the host has a life and a home to tend to.

I only get tourists, never people who are working. But if it was me, I would not wake them up ever, let them live their lives however they live it. I’ve always made it very clear to all my guests that I’m an early riser (latest 6am), but that I do start working (from home if it’s one of those days and not a day I go to the office) by 8am.

I’ve had guests overly obsessed with my schedule *what time will you be back, where are you going" , they are just weird.

As to something you posted later in this thread, the woman who was concerned you were not there…she sounds like an awkward guest!

5 Likes

The first morning guests stay, I do try to be home when they come downstairs so I can make sure they slept alright (not too hot/ cold etc).

The rest of the time, I hope that they stay in bed until my family has finished using the bathroom and gone to school and work. So having a different schedule from my family is great! :slight_smile:

I put in several places on my listing that the kids get up “any time after 6:30” so I can’t promise quiet between 6 am and 8 pm.

But also I tend to get couples on vacation, so they have each other for company and aren’t worried about getting anywhere on time (Except the airport on the last day).

Some guests will be weird, you can add stuff to your listing but nothing will keep all the weird away. :wink:

4 Likes

@Imdana2

I re-read this thread and I understand your puzzlement as to the critique you received - it seemed to me also to have come from left field. I wouldn’t worry about it.

6 Likes