When a guest takes something of little value (but it's annoying)

I think I may be in the same boat as you Sandy. I’ve had many many things taken from my places. I have a whole house rental and I host at home. I used to just seethe over it, now I ask for the items back. Iv’e had one group take basically everything out of the guest room, all teas, coffee, large jar of honey & jam, fruit knife, a towel, box of tissues, toilet rolls, magazines and even the teaspoons. That was just one group in for one night. At my whole house rental guests have taken various kitchen items from Tupperware containers to cutlery. Children’s toys, books and again, all the toilet paper. One group that were here for a bike race took all my nice white towels and left me their ones that looked like they’d used then to dry their dogs. They were ripped, stained and threadbare. Did they really think I wouldn’t notice? I knew they were still in town so I messaged them and asked for them back! I got them too. Cheeky. I’ve stood at my door saying goodbye to guests who are holding rolls of toilet paper under their arm, trying to hide magazines in their handbags etc. I’ve looked at the item, looked the guest in the eye and smiled. They have put them back.

Some say it is the cost of doing business. To some extent that is true, but sometimes it is just stealing.

9 Likes

I prefaced this as a rant as I had already thought that I would not rip this guest as I did our worst guest who did over $1k in damages, nor as much as other guests we had over the summer who treated our place as their trash pit. I guess I see more of a continuum of bad behavior, and I also want to present as a reasonable host should future guests read my reviews prior to booking.

I have found it frustrating when other often newbie hosts post seemingly seeking advice, but then don’t really take advice. I wasn’t too worried about being scolded. :wink: I thought others might have similar stories.

I totally agree that it is stealing even when the item is of minimal value, I will call this guest out on it, and will give her a thumbs down.

2 Likes

Still, even though they are not as bad as your most horrible guests, they are still BAAAAD. Anyone who steals is bad.

2 Likes

Some people are just crazy. I stopped looking for explanation of some human behavior. I just tell myself: another nut case😂

5 Likes

Ranting with you.

The whole entitlement thing of “I’m paying you rent so I think I will help myself to a few things you don’t need” at times wears me out.

A group of renters in November cleared out things with duplicates & were packable in suitcases: Pillows, towels, dining place mats, kitchen utensils: spatula, whisk, serving spoons… You get the idea. All items taken were not readily noticed because they took the duplicates. It is a classic thief move: Take only some of money so when the boss looks in the cash register they don’t notice any missing.

I think the total was less than $75 USD of items but what a PITA. Of course I didn’t notice until the next guest asked about needing extra placemats. (Entire house rental—I do not live there)

2 Likes

That’s what happened with my rental - first the duplicates went, utensils mainly, like the $60 chef’s knife. It was the best and largest but there were two others with the same color handles. The housecleaner didn’t even notice it missing but I sure did on my next stay there. (grrr!) Then there was my favorite sandwich spreader, a large insulated picnic tote, etc., etc…

Guests took my new $10 spiral bound Guest Book with its cool hologram cover, two (East Indian style) jewel-covered décor boxes, small but powerful binoculars, foldable laundry hamper, zippered pillow liners, etc., etc., etc.!!

I don’t live in the rental condo but if I did, woe to the guest who had the nerve to walk off with my things.

Shameless!!! Wtf is wrong with people??

They want their money’s worth, some people want value for what they spend so take stuff to balance out… like a bonus!

@SandyToes

Not laughing at you; laughing that we have a common situation: stolen knives. My pricey knives disappeared in record time. Now I purchase at Aldi’s on special & those still disappear.

I stopped providing beach towels after 9 of 10 disappeared in less than 6 weeks. There is a Walmart 1/2 mile away so renters may purchase their own.

I put folding beach chairs in the units every spring. I don’t advertise them. If the chairs are present, guests may use them. By the end of summer the chairs are gone, broken, or rusted because guests didn’t rinse off the sand & salt.

I will never cease to be amazed but it is the cost of doing business.

@Debthecat Yes–they want a bonus. A friend naively thought that because her ocean front condo commands a very high rental rate, that her guests would have financial resources and not be inclined to steal. During her 2nd summer rental season, someone took the owner’s closet door off the hinges (door was locked) and took everything. Because the door was replaced, the cleaning service didn’t notice anything.

2 Likes

As a beach community destination also, near the ocean too, I totally hear you. Some of my issues are not guest carelessness but simply environmental. The salt air gets to everything.

I used to spend $50 on expensive snorkel sets and drove myself nuts trying to remind guests not to lose them. They always would, and never tell me so I would never have complete sets for incoming guests. No more. I had wanted to save the guests the $8-10 daily charge they’d get renting gear or the $50 price of buying their own. Now I don’t guarantee anything. If they can find gear to fit or work in the box, great. If not, well sorry.

Beach chairs get rusty here right away. I do my best. I can’t keep replacing them. Most beach chairs are made abroad and are fairly cheap.

I’ve never had anyone lose beach towels. I do replace them a lot though because people get lotion all over them.

I have a BBQ outdoors that is brand new. It’s already getting rusty. I ask guests to please cover after every use. Most forget. I just may drop it from amenities. This summer, some real dumb bunnies left it unattended and let it get too hot. They really enjoy using it so I’m torn about taking it away.

@konacoconutz

My guests really enjoy having the grill available so I understand your conflict.

I understand accidents happen. However, when it is multiple people failing to take care of niceties, its an attitude that we cant fix. Box-o-gear, use what you can find, makes sense to me.

I suspect my beach towels are now in closets in North Carolina, West Virginia & Ohio but I can’t prove it. The towels were of exceptional size & quality because I lucked into a deal. Yep–bonus souvenirs.

3 Likes

A classic case of…

This is why we can’t have nice things! :rofl::rofl::persevere:

5 Likes

Which is why I now buy everything I can second hand! The only new stuff is linen and towels…everything else is Facebook, yard sales or second hand shops. When I first started every thing was new and fantastic quality, but the complete lack of care and respect has turned me around. I am not going to spend serious money when they treat things like crap, burn my pans, mark my tables, spill food and drinks on my beautiful rugs and don’t give a damn. I wonder how some of them were raised!

6 Likes

I actually furnished my rental with a lot of items from Walmart and Ross. There’s nothing wrong with making the most of money and going the less expensive route. Guest reviews frequently mention the “tasteful décor” so some of that eye-candy works.

2 Likes

Use the Resolution Center to charge her for replacing it.

AirBnB should have all guests take a “cognitive exam” before they can book.

And all hosts before they can host, right? LOL.

(I hope you aren’t serious.)

1 Like

LOL! Good tactic. Unbelievable cheek, though.

I’m having trouble rating this guest on the star system. Observance of house rules? I don’t have a rule “Don’t steal” but it should be common sense. Cleanliness? She was as clean as the next guest, but there was some unfortunate glitter. Communication? She was communicative about other things but didn’t ask if she could take the bag.

If I were to channel Kona, I think she’d say 1s across the board!

2 Likes

Please channel away - no o e wants a known thief as a guest!

3 Likes