What to Do in the Meantime

You are welcome. I have done a lot of painting. To clarify, I prefer the mini “fabric” rollers, not the foam rollers. Similar to:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-1-2-in-Shed-Resistant-White-Woven-Mini-Paint-Roller-With-Frame-HD-MT-102-11-4/202097476

I’m not a fan of the foam rollers for walls (they are good for wood and hard surfaces). The fabric rollers can be used for nearly anything.

2 Likes

Like many, we are concentrating on deep cleaning. I must say I’m a little embarrassed about some nooks and crannies that haven’t gotten enough attention in the past. Updating reading material in each room. We are also creating a little shared activity bookcase to share for our three rooms - cards, games, coloring books, etc.

2 Likes

For the past 2 years, my Air bookings took off in April, and in SE Alaska, planting time for veggies starts the first week of May, when cruise ships started arriving and my tours ramped, and my prepped front door veggie bed grew weeds. Not this year. No ships, probably no Air until July. Definitely a year to grow vege.

60 years ago this urban lot provided veg, spuds, cherries, raspberries, salmonberries, rhubarb to my grandparents, my mom’s parents, and our family of 6 a block away. I have a lot of work to bring it back.

5 Likes

Are you all located in the States?

This is an English language but international forum. The majority of members are in the US followed by other English language nations. But there are active members in India, Japan, Thailand, Africa, etc.

2 Likes

Great thanks for the fast reply!

What to do? Work on your social media. My engagement is way up right now. I guess people have nothing else to do. Time to crank out new content.

1 Like

We just announce California lock down. I have a guest tomorrow staying for 2 days. Can I cancel the reservation?

I’m taking this opportunity to re-vamp my Glampavan. It’s getting a bigger bed, a TV nook, and a dining table with a big seating area to sleep one extra guest.

I’m hoping this investment will pay off sooner rather than later :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m putting a “countdown to re-open” series of updates on my Instagram stories in an attempt to create a positive onwards-and-upwards vibe.

~Anita

2 Likes

Can you sew? Make masks for healthcare workers. All it takes is a sewing machine, basic sewing skills, 100% cotton fabric, elastic, and thread. The hospital will sterilize the masks people make.

1 Like

I can make those masks easily. I watched the video but I can’t figure out how those elastic loops on the side are supposed to be used- it doesn’t make sense. Masks usually have elastic that slips over your head and is attached to both side of the mask. I’m bamboozled.

Do they slip over your ears?

FaceMaskEars

The CA lockdowns definition still allows for short term stays I believe, there was nothing explicity shutting down hotels or short term lodging.

That said, I would ask guests to cancel any non essential travel, but you can continue operating imo. If you’d like to cancel unilaterally from your end I would try getting in touch with AirBnB support and explaining the situation if you’re trying to avoid fees.

Good luck from another Californian

1 Like

… and on that note, I am hitting the mat and queueing up a long yoga video.

3 Likes

Oh, okay, thanks. I’ve just never seen the elastic over the ears before, always around the head. If I make some, I’ll make the elastic go around the head, though. Looks really uncomfortable to hook it behind one’s ears.

Yesterday I kept our local Indian restaurant in business with a $100 order of curries, etc. Most of it went into the freezer, will enjoy over the next few weeks. Note: if I’d thought about it, I’d have asked for very little rice. It doesn’t reheat all that can well.
It was delivered to my door with a text telling me where to find it. Definitely bumped up my quality of life, plus I have the Halo of Virtue for doing my bit to keep a business afloat. :innocent:

2 Likes

My husband and I have been small business owners for about 15 years. We have a herd of individuals and small biz owners who help us, not with our business but with our lives. A personal assistant, a housekeeper, landscapers, petsitter, barber, nail technician, etc.

Because of our loss of Airbnb income and the imperative of zero contact, we’ve had to cancel everyone but the bare-bones landscaper services. So we continue to pay them something.

And we’ve made arrangements to pay each of the others maybe 60% of what we usually pay them, but with them staying safely at home. We want them to be able to maintain their homes and families until this is all over. We’ll do that for as long as we can.

I hope many other people are able to do that, too. Continue to pay whoever has regularly provided you with services, even if at a reduced rate, and even though the services have to stop for safety’s sake.

Let’s help each other.

3 Likes

Leftover cooked rice makes great fried rice.

2 Likes

You are good people :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Today my massage therapist texted me to say that they have to close until 3 April. I buy packages of 10 at a time and I told her to keep deducting 1 every 2 weeks until they run out. She said “made my day!”

3 Likes