What kind of review do I leave for guest who ruined entire upstairs carpet?

If you can get the carpet replaced that’s best. That’s a hard set of stains to get out, especially mixed with the alcohol.

1 Like

Oh, so sorry to hear it. I’ve had the opposite issue - my kid being sick while we had guests. It’s awful. Thank God no one else in the home came down with it. Hope she recovers well and soon!

1 Like

way too funny! thanks for the laugh!

1 Like

Kristina
i read your posts and it seems that u have experience with Wimdu
are they asking all hosts in the states to provide ID, i m new with Them.
do they report earnings to IRS?
Tks

Just an update, I used Resolve Stain Remover and most of the stains have been removed. The others can be covered with area rugs. The guest emailed me via Airbnb Resolution Center stating that she checked and I should be covered by the Host Guarantee. This allowed me to respond and to amend the dollar amount of my claim. It allowed me to give links to exactly what items were going to be purchased (such as the new pillows, area rugs, cost of cleaning by a professional carpet cleaner). The original claim was for $2000, because I just had no idea what to put in that field. In any case, I was able to respond with the links, and an itemized bill of what already had been purchased (REsolve, sheets etc). I responded to her the spirit of airbnb in guests being self accountable for damages. Although the duvet cover was damaged, and it will cost me more to replace it, since I only paid $5 for it at a yard sale, that is all I’m asking for repayment. I think I’m being way more than reasonable. The stains will probably never be completely gone, but the worst of them can be covered with area rugs. She has 72 hours from the time of the original claim made with The Resolution Center to respond, so if she does not respond in that time with payment, I then ask the Resolution Center to submit the claim to the Host Guarantee Program. I have 13 more days to leave her a review. If she does not take care of the claim herself, my review will be worded very carefully.

1 Like

I answered on the other thread. I doubt they asked for your social security number. They just wanted ID for verification? However, you’ll still get paid through paypal, so even if THEY don’t report you, you still have to report all your income!

1 Like

They will pull it first out of her deposit, if she left any… If you don’t require a deposit, set one up now!

1 Like

Somehow, I must have reset my settings…I used to ask for a $100 deposit, but I checked the morning she left, and there was no deposit! I don’t remember making that change, but I must have at some point, probably when I was adjusting prices for seasons or whatever, so mad at myself for that!!!

Brook, it’s good to have it, because it demonstrates to Air that YOU are being responsible about collecting it if needed and not putting it off on them. I would raise it higher. I set mine to $180 after the incident with the party and broken table.

1 Like

See, I’m way too nice, I would feel just horrible expecting airbnb to replace the carpet. And I would be worried that they would cancel my listing! The problem also is that the same carpet that is on the upstairs in the bedroom and hallway runs down the stairs and to the living room…it’s doubtful that I could find the exact same carpet and breaking it up like that is very unappealing to me. It’s a small home, so the consistency of the carpeting makes sense.

I wonder if I can write to airbnb and apologize for accidentally deleting the deposit required.

No! Just let them respond first. Don’t draw attention to it!

4 Likes

That’s what insurance is for my dear. That is a drop in the bucket compared to having to replace a whole house, which has happened. :smile:

You should not eat the cost because a guest was so careless. And as I said. Are we three years old? Throwing up in the bed?? You have hours of warning usually! I know you are a nurse, but come on, nausea and vomiting usually gives you a lot of warning. If not lots then at least five minutes’ warning, which is plenty of time to grab your bucket or crawl to the loo.

5 Likes

Wise words, thank you.

2 Likes

She managed to get out OK, I’m in upstate NY.

i really dont understand why she didnt ask you for a bucket when she started getting sick, unless she was drunk. if it was a hotel they would have already charged her credit card, sadly you will have to charge her and if she was genuinely sick she should have seen a doctor when she left, got a certificate and could claim it all on her travel insurance. thats the risk people take without having travel insurance so i have little sympathy, i always pay for travel insurance even when i travel local. As Judge Judy says “you cant visit your problems on other people”.

I had it recently too. I went out and and had couple drinks, and thought it did not go well, i was sick for the whole night and next day, nothing i ate stayed inside. Now 10 days later i am still not that well.
Red wine can be taken off with resolve. I took it off many times when we had carpet. We also had a carpet cleaning machine

Glad to be off service :wink: :joy:

Hope you are feeling better now!

I offered her a bucket as before she went to bed she mentioned not feeling well.