What kind of review do I leave for guest who ruined entire upstairs carpet?

Hi, I have no idea what to do about this!
My guest last night got some kind of stomach bug, while in bed, where she vomited red wine. Managed to ruin two pillows, all linens including dust ruffle and she then vomited her way from the bedroom to the bathroom ruining the beige carpet in the bedroom and the hallway.
It’s a Saturday, the best I could do was call a few professional cleaning companies asking their advice.
They’ve advised to not use anything on the stains so they can have a better chance at removing the stains. They also state that they can come clean the carpets, but will not guarantee stain removal, lowest over the phone quote was $300. I’m seriously doubting these stains are removable.
Don’t get me wrong, she was a very nice guest, but I’ve filed a claim in the Resolution Center, I’ve no idea if she is going to be willing to pay for damages or not.
And I’ve received the ‘leave your guest a review’ email.
She has 72 hours to respond to the Resolution Center.

Both professional cleaners I spoke with stated adding any chemicals to the stained areas would hinder their efforts, so yeah, right now I’m living with this vomit on the carpet. I blotted up the bulk of it. I’m a nurse by the way, so no gagging or anything. Just totally distraught over the whole thing. How long do I have to leave it like that and what if she nor airbnb pays for cleaning or replacement?

It was definitely a stomach bug, and unfortunately she had last consumed red wine. She was still vomiting as she was leaving this morning. I’ve seen enough of the stomach bug recently with my patients to recognize it.

That’s serious damage and as long as you have the quote and photos of the damage you will probably get them to side with you… and yes, if they rule in your favor, they will cover damage that exceeds her deposit. However I’d be tempted to get a quote for replacing the entire carpet, the mattress and all the linens, no matter how much the cost! That’s serious damage. Doesn’t matter if she was nice or not… you will never see this person again and they ruined your house! I mean, WTH??.. I haven’t thrown up in a bed since I was a kid! Nausea and Vomiting gives you lots of warning signs and in most cases you know it is coming… Not to be gross, but if I feel like my stomach isn’t going to last for whatever reason I get a bowl to have by the bed or go lay down on the bathroom floor.

3 Likes

She didn’t try to clean it up herself?

Hope you got photo’s of the damage.

I just never imagined that airbnb would be willing to compensate for a large amount. I’ve never made claims against deposits before despite many broken plates/glasses. And actually, she did mention not feeling well, and I offered her a bucket to bring upstairs with her. If she would have just contained it to the bed, I would have had no problem just buying new linens. But replacing a whole carpet, or having professionals come clean the carpet is not in my budget range.

No, she really was truly ill. She was still vomiting this morning when she left. She was weak and wobbly, I carried her small suitcase to the car for her.

Plenty of photos and video have already been sent to airbnb.

1 Like

Oh, and the mattress was thankfully spared from damage thanks to the awesome mattress cover I had on the bed.

1 Like

Oh yes, that’s what the host guarantee is all about. The big claims. Why wouldn’t you qualify if the cleaning professional told you the stains couldn’t come out of the carpet? In my mind that is permanent damage. Yes, you can attempt to ask them for a big claim like that. The problem is getting the job quotes into resolution in time. If you’ve already submitted the $300 claim then it is probably too late. :frowning:

1 Like

What’s awful is the enzymes in the vomit…(sorry TMI) … it’s stomach acid… as any of us who have had pets or kids puke on things… they are pretty much history afterwards!

1 Like

As far as the review, I don’t even know what to advise… since you are convinced the guest was really sick and not drunk… then it would seem unfair to leave her a bad review… On the other hand, I would not want to host a potential puking guest!

1 Like

I’ve had guests puke in my loo a lot…but it’s Ireland, so it’s expected they join in with the locals :joy:…although there’s been some weird, suspect stains left on bedding lately :mask:…I’ve such a weak stomach…the cleaning is the worst part of hosting…

3 Likes

LOL! If I come over, I shall limit myself to a single pint of Guinness at a time!

2 Likes

I put in a claim for 2K. Cause I just had no idea what the potential cost may be to replace the whole carpet. The man I was chatting with from Airbnb said to just make up a number. So I did.

2 Likes

I think she may have been tipsy, maybe even drunk, but I don’t truly believe it was the alcohol that made her vomit. She really looked to me like someone sick with a stomach virus and I’m a nurse, so I kinda have a knack for discerning a ‘sick’ look vs just a drunk look.

Plenty of photos is good. Just don’t post them here. :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh, how horrible - so sorry this happened. Are you by chance in the Mid Atlantic region of the US? Bad stomach bug here, it’s been making the rounds for weeks. Huge percentages of schools are out because of it. My daughter had it two weeks ago - up all night - ugh. And yes, when she started it was uncontrollable.

Oh, Lord, my husband is looking over my shoulder and reading this is prompted to relay a story he heard from a co-worker this week of a guy getting violently ill on the metro train - into his commuter bag - awful.

Let us know how this works out, ok? Poor guest - how is she going to travel feeling that bad?

1 Like

Yeah, DCM. I hope I didn’t bring it upon the group with that topic a few weeks ago. Had to go out of the country on business. The wife cleaned up after a batch of people and sure enough she’s been sick for 4 days.