What do you think? How do you feel about this?

I got an instant booking reservation for one week from an american guy, with 61 5 stars reviews. In his last message he told me, without asking for “Thanks…I will be doing a YouTube video review!” I went on youtube and found he has published more than 1000 videos about his trips. Would you contact airbnb? I’m not comfortable with his attitude, would you?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be comfortable but I’m not sure how you could stop it happening. Do he do good reviews on you tube?

I don’t understand the issue. My initial reaction is to be flattered that he chose my place. Was there something on the youtube reviews that made you uneasy?

Me too. I don’t understand the problem.

No, not really, but I’m not comfortable with his “modus operandi” not asking first, just announce me what he is planning to do…

3 Likes

Maybe I’m over reacting.

1 Like

I just started watching at his videos, average quality.

He sounds like an insufferable egotist but that doesn’t mean he’ll be a bad guest. I can’t recall, do you share space or are they in their own space?

2 Likes

Yes, you got my feelings about the situation. No, the space is not shared. he will be by his own.

Then I’d keep the reservation. Let him have his little fantasy of being a travel vblogger.

5 Likes

Thank you very much to all of you for your opinions.

Nevertheless you felt this way and it would be interesting to know why. In the last dozen or so years we’ve all lived in the ‘review-society’ where anyone and everyone can write unsolicited reviews online in so many places so I’m probably just jaded by the whole thing :slight_smile:

Yes, I know in what world I live, I think my questioning would result in a sociological criticism. We live in a world where the opinion of others has become a pseudo-tyranny in which objective criteria do not always prevail.

9 Likes

I’m not sure. I suspect that so many people are seriously over the review culture these days.

2 Likes

Well, not for this guy, his prevailing notion is that he is in a position that he can make a “work of art” out of his own life, shaping every element at his will…every aspect of his life apparently need a review to be published into social media.

1 Like

I think @Mirta_Gubetta, that you’re over reacting. He did mention the was going to video review before coming. The only thing I would worry about is if he revealed the street address of my place. Otherwise I’d be happy for a good review whether video or textual.

You said “his prevailing notion is that he is in a position that he can make a “work of art” out of his own life, shaping every element at his will…every aspect of his life apparently need a review to be published into social media.”

You got all this psychological evaluation from his note and watching a couple of his videos? Where did you say you got your PHd is Psych from, again? That seems to be a rather radical evaluation of this guy’s relatively harmless hobby. I’m really glad you don’t read read my Trip Advisor reports…

Just my 2 cents worth.

2 Likes

@KenH do you remember when @Mearns had guests who made a video of his place? It was terrific. It’s on this page:

I think it depends on:

1. What the context of his videos are and if his past videos are indicative of what yours will be. If they seem positive, it could be good PR for you
  2. If you feel comfortable enough with your space that you want that type of of exposure.

I agree w giving him credit for advising you in advance, rather than you finding out after the fact.

Lastly, in case you haven’t noticed from this site, American Men all have attitudes. :wink:

5 Likes

I had some college-kid vloggers book here once, @Mirta_Gubetta. They were film students and have gone on to great things. It is nice to be part of their early work, and it attracted the best kind of guests for us. We are a camping-style listing, and since they kept it real, of the thousands of hits the video got, we have hosted maybe a hundred perfect-fit bookers.
They (the college kids) paid full price, and were extremely respectful while here, and in the review.
If your vlogger is not asking for a discount, I think you have nothing to lose. If his videos are meh, no one will look at them. If they are good, you might get perfect-fit guests.

4 Likes

I agree. He sounds like a pain, frankly.

1 Like