What do you think? How do you feel about this?

Thank you @lawre, I’m happy that the experience worked out well for you, in my case, this person is not just a vlogger, I could appreciate a lot of stuff and could see that with his 1390 videos he has created his personal “big brother” channel about him, it’s not just about travel, there are parodies of speeches given by the prime minister of my country, personal confessions, etc, for me is a pretty disturbing hobby as @KenH suggested and pretty much a pain like @CatskillsGrrl already said.

He could do a video and never tell you. People take pictures all the time of the places they stay as the background in a portrait or to remember their trip.

At least he gave you advance notice so you could look up his prior videos on YouTube

If you aren’t uncomfortable with his prior videos move forward and enjoy the revenue

That would be a cancellation here.

I had a very nice German vlogger who had a contract with a German magazine to send videos of his time in Hawaii. It was great meeting him and I’ve had a few guests who came and stayed with us because of the publicity. Mind you, this guy PAID ME to give me publicity.

3 Likes

@KKC, @jaquo, @KenH, @HH_AZ, @lawre, @CatskillsGrrl, @Annet3176, @justMandi, @Brittany_Anderson.
For those who may have been curious about the result of this experience with this Vlogger. The result was as I envisioned it. There were two problems during the stay. The first day that the TV decoder was not working. I immediately arranged a technical visit, but the guest did not respond and I had to cancel it and place a new order. On the second occasion, he refused to allow the technician to enter the apartment and claimed that he did not need the TV and that he preferred us to review this after his departure. I lost a lot of time making the request for technical visits.
On Saturday afternoon, two days before check out, I received a message from the guest saying he had locked himself out and requested my help. Me and the co-host were out of town. We managed to arrive in a few hours and discovered that a locksmith had to be called, as the keys were on the inside of the lock and the mechanism in that case does not allow to use a key from the outside to open. As a result we had to call an emergency locksmith and make a break in, which was recorded by the guest on video and placed on his YouTube channel, during the video ( acting like in a soap opera) he made idiotic comments, that he was worried because his toothbrush was at the other side of the door. In total he made five videos in my apartment. I think that forgetting the key in the lock was on purpose, just to "feed "his audience with his bs, but I have no proof of that, except that from the first moment he said, I’m going to pay for this, and of course I made him pay for his amusement. a last note: at check out, the decoder was working normally.

The fact that he informed you in a very supercilious way - rather than inquired about permission - about doing his video bullshit told me everything I needed to know. Complete narcissistic ass.

Thank you for the update. I hate that he tried to create drama where there really was none.

Did you mention it in your review? That’s the kind of thing I think other hosts would REALLY appreciate knowing ahead of time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I absolutely would not host this guy after I read the he recorded us getting him into the house. Also I would get a different kind of door lock. Perhaps one that can be unlocked remotely with an app. I’ve also had trouble when trying to go out of town while I have an airbnb guest so have quit doing it.

1 Like

What a jerk! Hopefully he left you a decent review.

I’m VERY sorry you experienced this.

I agree with most of the comments that preceded (review - "That’s the kind of thing I think other hosts would REALLY appreciate ", “would not host this guy”, “jerk”, “narcissistic ass”)

I also suspect that he did this to create the video drama he wanted, however I’m curious about the lock that you have, and if there’s a way to change it, so that this never occurs again.

If there’s a way to visit his vlog site and offer commentary on this, I’m ready to sign up. :raising_hand_man:

4 Likes

Yes @CeeBee, I mentioned it in the review, especially because the guest sent me the video in the air message chain.

1 Like

No @MtnGal, he did not bother to leave me a review!

1 Like

@HH_AZ
My lock is a model in which the key acts as a handle, there is no handle, just a knob. I’m seriously thinking of replacing it.
With regard to providing the link to the YouTube channel, I would very much like to do so. But I have already faced problems in this same forum to reveal the identity of some guests, American citizens, who wanted to apply on my property the advice they administered on their blog, about how to win a case in the “resolution center” of air. My post was censured by moderators, many comments were deleted. Finally it was suggested that I never mention them again here, and finally it is not possible to find the post by doing a search for its title, because it was hidden. Older posters who actually read it can remember.
Since this guest is also an American citizen, I do not want to have to deal with the implications regarding privacy. The host who eventually ran into him in air, could count on my honest review.

3 Likes

Sorry about that. At least he could of since he inconvenience you with his made up BS. I’m glad you review him honestly. :wink:

When someone is putting their videos on a YouTube channel that is public they don’t have the same privacy concerns that other people do. I think in your previous case there was some disagreement about if we were giving those bloggers free publicity and if that is counter productive. I would say the same applies here. If you posted the video and members here clicked on it wouldn’t that be exactly the kind of publicity they want. Don’t more clicks mean more revenue for the vblogger? And this is a public forum that can be accessed by anyone. So we have to consider if we want to be featured on the Airhostforum facebook page or on reddit or even in the mainstream media? You should also consider your own privacy in posting a video that might make your listing public in some way.

All that said, if someone would like to see the video and you would like to share it you may do so by private message. You can click on HH’s profile name and you will see a message icon to the right.

or just takes a little “research”. :wink:

1 Like

Another thought came to mind → the potential to hide a key elsewhere on the property, even if for a different door. If such a scenario exists, could help for those emergency situations.

Yes @KKC, is the same argument that @konacoconutz gave me. And I agree completely with it. I was not criticizing, just explaining why I will not expose the link here. Thanks for clarifying it better than me.

1 Like

No problem. I understand you were frustrated by that thread and I wanted to explain not just to you but also to new members who have joined and would not be familiar with that incident.

1 Like