What do you give guests for extra bedding if cold?

Now that it’s getting chillier I’m wondering what I can buy for my guest beds for extra bedding for when it’s cold. In the past I’ve used a miss match of whatever extras have been available. Would now like to find the ideal item and buy two per bed so we can wash at change over. I’ve no idea what people use? Blankets are usually wool aren’t they so that’s impractical for regular washing. Cotton doesn’t seem very cosy…fleece polyester etc not right…I’d love to hear what others use. And weather you put the blanket (or alternative) at the foot of the bed or in the wardrobe etc

Duvets. You don’t need two per bed, you need two duvet covers that you switch out and wash.

1 Like

My winter bedding is a set that has a cotton medium weight comforter and a quilt that is quilted cotton on one side and velvet on the other. I fold down the quilt at the foot of the bed. See attached photo. Both the comforter and the quilt and the pillow shams are reversible so I have lots of variety. I found them during a black Friday sale at Walmart and I drove around in 3 states (I live near the border) to get 4 sets.

I also put extra blankets in each closet. .
Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 1.41.59 PM

1 Like

All year ‘round, we leave two extra blankets in the “guest” side of the closet. We also put a folded throw across the foot of the bed or in their side of the closet.

1 Like

Thanks everyone please can you tell me what fabric your extra blankets are made of? I can’t understand what kind of extra bedding I can throw in the machine regularly

Everything on our beds, from the mattress pad to the coverlet, is all 100% cotton.

I love Laura Ashley comforters. They wash well and come out nice and fluffy out of the dryer. Wayfair, Overstock, Pottery Barn and Amazon sell them. Prices vary from $90 to $180 depending on the design.

If I understand correctly your comforter is equivalent to our duvets? Only difference being we use covers and usually only wash those, but you can put the whole comforter in the machine. So I think I have same as you ie comforter/duvet. I’m wondering what folk have as an extra blanket in case cold, to use in addition?
Blankets don’t wash easily. Cotton ones seem to light, like they wouldn’t add hardly any warmth. There’s cotton quilted which is tempting but similar to a comforter and no one uses two duvets so there must be a better solution.
Seems to me blankets should have covers so they can be washed regularly. So then I thought of a wool duvet (with a cover)? But I’m feeling I’m missing something here this isn’t what most people do and if there’s a blanket that can go in the machine three times a week and dry easily then that might be better.
Someone put a pic of their lovely quilted cover but that would be a lot of washing machine time and not sure velvet would hold up

We have both lightweight cotton blankets and heavier ones.

Cotton is the only fabric I can use. I have no trouble staying warm with cotton on the bed.

I have all cotton sheets, light blankets, quilts and shams. I have a variety of quilts, and use heavier ones during the winter.

But for the cold-toes guests, there is a fleecy, thick petrochemical (i.e., polyester) blanket in the underbed drawer. I think some of my quilts also have poly batting. I gave up being a purist in this case!

I used to not want anything polyester, but a friend gifted me with one of those fleece blankets, and it’s the warmest thing I’ve ever slept under. They also wash easily and dry quickly.

1 Like

I’m allergic to polyester and other synthetics. I wouldn’t be able to use it. The allergy isn’t all that uncommon.

There are lovely 100 percent wool blankets but they have to be dry cleaned and that would be costly. Unless you get a wool and poly blend that’s washable. I just took a look at Amazon;

No blankets, just the normal duvet. Nothing else is needed in Florida although I do provide space heaters for the ‘winter’. :wink:

Yes this is why wool doesn’t seem to be suitable. The cost alone would rule it out but the time involved in dry cleaning would also. If wool was practical it would be perfect.

Some say they use cotton and it’s warm enough… I wonder is it quilted? Or a cotton knit?

I feel like there’s a gap in the market here! I don’t want to use anything with polyester and I know I’m not alone in that. Wool is out. It looks like it needs to be cotton and I just need to work out in what form. Or… wool duvets (they are flatter) with covers seem like they might be the best option. Not usual though so still feel like Im missing something. Not cheap either

1 Like

Why are you opposed to using a regular feather/down duvet?

1 Like

Because all my beds already have a regular feather duvet. Im now looking for the ‘extra’ thing to put on top of the duvet if people want to. A second duvet would be way too much fluff, the second item should be flatter, like a blanket is

1 Like

Are you aware that there are different weight duvets? Like summer or winter weight?

Again, I strongly suggest all-cotton blankets. They come in different weights. We live where winters can get very cold and snowy.

Each guest bed has a mattress protector, sheets, a light blanket, and a jacquard coverlet. All of that is on the bed. All cotton, all easily washable.

In the closet is a much heavier cotton blanket. Almost no one ever needs that.

In addition, each room has a cotton throw.

After hundreds of guests, no one has ever been cold. We leave heat on at 65 at night, which works fine.

2 Likes

We use a warming sheet, like this (our model is no longer made):

Guests love it. It has two controllers, so each side can be different. And you avoid the challenge of washing an electric blanket as this is under the sheets and pad.