What do YOU consider a "small gathering of close friends and family"?

For your amusement, I just got an inquiry where the guest mentioned that she saw in my house rules that I don’t allow parties or events but wondered if I’d make an exception for a “small gathering of close friends and family” for a baby shower. When I pressed further, she said the maximum number of guests would be… 30… yes THIRTY… in my listing for a maximum of 8 guests! I politely declined and she thanked me for the fast responses and that was that.

6 Likes

I got one yesterday for October and one today for December. A birthday party and a first birthday party with “festivities outside (i.e. moon bounce-if permitted, piñata etc.” The one today for the first bday party wanted to rent my smallest and cheapest house the Cottage for this with only 1 bathroom. Asked about guest count, she replied “Not too many only 60-75”. Ah no…

Although I will admit to doing weddings and other events up to 150, but they pay for the party.

2 Likes

If I asked you this and your listing held 8 that would probably cover it, maybe I’d have 10-15 max. Even when hosting the “large” xmas party at my house for school people when I was a teacher we never had more than 30.

I’d think 5 or 6 extra people, not including the staying guests :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Having 60 people over and expecting to pay the same price as a much smaller group to just sleep there is absolutely ridiculous. Parks are free if that’s the case.

4 Likes

I just got yet another inquiry for a bridal shower, but with a guest count of 40 this time. At least this guest didn’t try to say it was a “small gathering” but was straight forward asking if I would consider allowing a bridal shower with 40 people on the guest list. Nope.

2 Likes

I just got one for a “celebration of life” for the persons dad, I felt bad her father passed away but I still said no. 40 people is 34 too many for my listing.

RR

5 Likes

3 guests and 3 visitors, at the outside limit. My 1st inquiry was last year for New Years Eve, 12 people over with 2 guests and extra time requested for a re-vow. NOT.

3 Likes

I guess it depends if you are in the accommodation business, or the event business.

3 Likes

LOL, yeah, when all of us have “No parties or events” in our listing, you’d think it would be obvious.

You’re expecting potential guests to read your listing details? :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, but you’ll make an exception for me, right? Because I’m special :slight_smile:

5 Likes