What do I say? Guests told me they are going to just take something

They also want to see your tax return.

@TuMo @anon67190644 @EllenN

I think you meant to comment on this thread

1 Like

Oops. Yes, not sure how that happened. Sorry about that.

Ellen is right, anyway. Tax returns are used.

Also, during my modification, which was a refi, they wanted six months of bank statements. They want to see where your income is coming from.

my friend is doing it successfully & suggested it, esp for my prime location
it means sharing a one bedroom & bath.
I have lots of stuff to take, even if I lock things in bedroom & put lock on cabinet
so I am wary & wanted to find out more abt othersā€™ experiences
cleaning fee seems reasonable since costs r less. there is 12% room tax in LA, maybe going up bec sales tax went up.
things get dirty; tiles need scrubbing regularly- do they know there is no maid service. need clean extra sheets & towels, have to buy; microwave which I donā€™t have- cooking makes too much mess. Expectto hire bonded maid service to clean. seems to me I wonā€™t offer wifi - or shampoo or whatever. if they it;, someone to clean the tub, makebeds, maid service, maybe they need o go to hotel.
My hope would be some young person, looking for clean safe place well located.
as for coming back- the inn is closed- let them go to motel 6

did I understand, she placed a low value on what she was taking?
I see many ask for security deposits
I was wondering about renter insurance; & if it was invalidated bec you invited someone into yr home.
there is the tyranny of the buyer, you see it on ebay. they tellyou they are extorting you (donā€™t use the word) knowing you canā€™t afford a bad feedback. I stood up to 2 back to back & they ruined my biz for a year.

Hurray for an admission of inappropriate behavior by the guest!!!

I disagree. The guest knew the behavior was wrong, was told not to do it, then went ahead and did it. An apology does nothing to assuage the situation. If it had been your wallet as opposed to somebody elseā€™s stool, I donā€™t think youā€™d accept the apology.

3 Likes

I would have demanded the stool be returned by Fed ex immediately.

1 Like

It wasnā€™t worth it, I am in Australia so sorting that out while over here and then checking it to see that it is safe is another thing - I canā€™t expect my cleaner to do that and if it was damaged or such when returned she could just say it was sent as it was, and it would have gone on forever. I got a new one so I know itā€™s safe to use and she got the shock of a lifetime. I hope it worked but I bet it didnā€™t, people like that seem keep doing it.

6 Likes

What was the final result? Was she convicted of the theft?

Iā€™d say Oh btw, guest youā€™re not taking anythingā€¦without me offering it to you and if you do decide to steal it Iā€™ll report it stolen and you to airbnb. Soā€¦just donā€™t. WTH, who does she think she isā€¦?

Have been aghast from the outset.
Words fail.

She ended up sending it back anyway! Maybe guilt got the better of her! Or worry about a criminal charge (probably more likely!). So I got a new stool that she paid for and the stool she took which will go into our other Airbnb place now. So thieves never prosper!

17 Likes

She is a nit wit!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the update, @Wendy_Darling!

I hope the amount she paid for the ā€œnewā€ stool well covered your angst over the whole ordeal.

As for the returned stool - was the condition any worse for the wear, as you suspected it might be? I canā€™t help but imagine that every time she looked at it she was reminded of the thief she is and didnā€™t want to see it anymore.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve always found the name ā€˜Geneā€™ similarly awkward. Why?

ā€œHi, Geneā€, sounds like ā€˜Hygieneā€™

Someone told me that one time, and now I ALWAYS think about that, thanks a lot. :slight_smile:

My sonā€™s ex girlfriend was from Japan, and her name was: Ai (like saying the letter ā€˜Iā€™)

So, ā€œHi, Aiā€ or "Iā€™m going to the story with ā€˜Iā€™ Awkward

@CoffmanKA

Oh no! You didnā€™t just put ā€œHi Gene!ā€ (hygiene) in my brainā€¦(aack!). I know a Gene and we frequently exchange jokes and cartoons we get from friends. I just saw him at a dinner party over the holidays and naturally said, ā€œHi Gene!ā€

Iā€™ll never be the same.

My friendā€™s son also had a girlfriend from Japan. Her name is Miya, which I thought was pretty. He always called her ā€œMamaā€ and ā€œO soloā€. Itā€™s no wonder she dumped him.

1 Like

Sheā€™s not asking you. Sheā€™s telling you. I would send her a money request for $40 because sheā€™s taking it even if you tell her not to. If she does not comply with the money request, contact CS and ask for it to be deducted from her deposit.