What do I say? Guests told me they are going to just take something

Suggestion for another Rule: if you are the OP you must agree to follow the post to the end and tell us all the end of the story.

11 Likes

Good idea, I will add that!

1 Like

Doneā€¦ Itā€™s now a suggestion rather than a ruleā€¦ I didnā€™t even think of it!

1 Like

Just musingā€¦

I know a gal whose real first name is Honey. I always find it awkward to call her by name. What if she had the OP Wendyā€™s last nameā€¦

Pardon the brief detour from the topicā€¦er, topics.

5 Likes

I like this! A completely unenforceable rule but worth a try!
Iā€™d also add that itā€™s ok to create an end-of-story post if it has high entertainment value (cough WendyDarling cough)

3 Likes

Yes! I love it!:grinning::grin::smiley::smile::wink::blush:

1 Like

BE ADVISED!!! THE STOOL HAS LEFT THE BUILDINGā€¦YES, THE STOOL HAS BEEN STOOL NAPPED IN DIRECT DISREGARD FOR OUR STATED STOOL RULESā€¦and so the saga goes onā€¦:scream:

12 Likes

I understand what you mean Nina, if she had said ā€œI love your stool and I could really do with one for my car, can you tell me if you have seen one around or know where I could get one before we leave?ā€ I would have bent over backwards to help. But being told ā€œI am taking itā€ is just a bit too entitled and rude to me and I would have bent over backwards to make sure she doesnā€™t take it under any circumstances and she can basically get stuffed (as we say in Australia). Itā€™s all in the tone and the languageā€¦though she took it anyway after I said no!

3 Likes

Noooooo! Unbelievable!!!
So how are you going to deal with it???

1 Like

OMG! [refraining from typing 100 more exclamation points] Not only stolen after your stated stool rules, but after you replied to her message and point blank told her she could not take the stool!

It is outright theft at this point. Please make a police report and nail this horrible, entitled thief! If Air will honor a claim made after your subsequent guests checked in, I believe they will require a police report. Given your message trail, I hope Air makes an exception in your case.

WOW!

4 Likes

Iā€™m already onto it. As she admitted she was going to take it on Airbnb messages I have plenty of proof and so I donā€™t see any issue. Iā€™m not worried about the delay, if you call Airbnb on the phone generally you get someone who is really nice and I got a guy in Texas once and he gave me his direct email so I will go through him.

The last time I talked to him one of our guests had claimed we had bed bugs and so wanted their 2 weeks of payment back so we got the dog sniffers in at great expense ($369 USD) and they found nothingā€¦nadaā€¦not one sign or anythingā€¦and so he helped us sort it out and they got not a penny back but of course we still had to pay the dog! Mind you, I would pay anything rather than having bed bugs!!!

6 Likes

Of course now we all need to see the review you leave for the stool napperā€¦!!!

1 Like

@Wendy_Darling OMG are you serious? What did Airbnb say?

In your shoes I would put up wanted posters in her local area :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I absolutely cannot believe the gall of this person. I know everyone is sort of lighthearted, but this is super serious. The police will laugh when you call up and say you want to report a stolen stool, so maybe you should say you want to report furnishings stolen from your house.

Itā€™s beyond comprehension that this guest would do this!!!

Please ā€¦ whatever you do, do NOT be a cheerful giver of this stool!

7 Likes

Unbelievable!! Thank you for the update on this. Have you contacted her about it? Did she say anything after you said NO?

As much as filing a police report would be nice, they have left the jurisdiction and it is not enough value to do much with. Youā€™ll have to charge her through the nose for your troubles and leave a scathing review. Thatā€™s where you can call her a thief so people know!!

2 Likes

Wow. Justā€¦ wow. As others have said - this is plain and simple theft. Surely there isnā€™t a jurisdiction in the world that would disagree? Iā€™m so sorry that youā€™ll now need to take the time and head space to try and get some kind of satisfaction on the matter.

2 Likes

@Magwitch Thank you!

1 Like

Is it me orā€¦this is what I just gotā€¦from current guestsā€¦

"Hi Wendy good morning! I will check out till 5pm today coz flight was cancel today so I wonā€™t leave at 11am! The reasson is having a typhoon in the Philippines today. They move the flight to 9pm tonight. Anyway, just came back yesterday from San Francisco since Thursday! "

ā€¦ummm so they werenā€™t actually in the place for a day so obviously I should give them a free day? Is it me or what the hey is going on? Do these people really think they can just tell me stuff and itā€™s ok?? Of course we have our next guests coming at 2pm so the cleaner needs three hours and so I canā€™t allow it. So I said very sweetly Iā€™m sorry but noā€¦

By the way, aforementioned stool napper has been charged.

16 Likes

Just to clairfy in case I misunderstand anything before - you actually told her she could not take the stool with herā€¦correct? Then she stole it. And now the police are pressing charges per your last post?

Did you happen to ask the stool napper where the stool is? Wonder if she is going to say that she didnā€™t take it and it must have been your housekeeper or someone broke in? I hope you checked out the rest of the place.

Iā€™m so sorry that your stool was stolen @Wendy_Darling! Regardless of how any of us would have handled the situation, your ā€œnoā€ should have been respected by the guest. I hope youā€™re able to get some justice in the situation and that replacing your stool will be less cumbersome than you anticipate!