"What Cleanliness Issue...." When reviewing a host

Did host explain why there were only 3 towels and no extra sheets?

As far as firewood, we do not provide it this early…it’s still summer time. It did get nice and chilly the other night and opened the windows for a nice breeze, but still it’s too early to provide complimentary wood.

Did the Spanish guests aplogize for the broken toys?

Hehehe, i have my share of stories with horses. One was crazy horse Alberto in Costa Rica, who hated me and was trying to bite me. Another was Spotty in Nicaragua, who when we were crossing rivers wanted to play in a water, never mind me on her back, and then she got scared of a stroller and started galloping and went between cars on a road. I am afraid of horses, they were not friendly to me at all, i would not want a horse going into my food or running toward me. They are big animals.
Thats ok even if you inconvinienced her. Why should you be inconvinienced with her horse. Its you vacation.

1 Like

Excellent idea! Airbnb I know you’re lurking so please please please implement this. Especially for LOCATION. Good grief…

It’s especially helpful when guests provide feedback so that you can see if it’s ridiculous. I just got a (rare) rating of less than five stars for cleanliness. Here’s the feedback. The quotation marks are the guests; so maybe I should provide her feedback on punctuation. (Joke) “The dogs leave dander but that’s hard to avoid.” Argh, if dog dander bothers you; don’t stay at a listing that has dogs.

4 Likes

I think providing feedback is the right thing to do. The host will either do something about it or not, in which case her low stars for cleanliness will continue to drop (deservedly). It’s not right making strangers sleep in a place that has potential hazards like mold and just general yuckiness like other people’s hair visibly everywhere in a shower. Plus the spiderwebs inside would make me wonder if spiders would be crawling on me at night. Not a reasonable fear, I admit, but I can’t control my delusions :fearful:.

Glad you had a nice getaway in spite of that @dcmooney! What was your place like when you got home???

1 Like

I’m with you on the mold and hair. However, spiders can weave webs really fast (within an hour); so the presence of spider webs doesn’t necessarily mean that the place hasn’t been cleaned.

1 Like

Hey @SuiteRetreat! I felt silly for my worry when I got home - it was just fine - they even took out their trash. Well, they still left some stuff here and there, but mostly, it was fine. Some spots on a comforter that I think will come out. They even brought in my mail which I didn’t ask them to do.

But the house smelled bad when we came home!! We had two potatoes go bad! Now they may review me as having a smelly house! ha ha!!

As I’ve said, I’m learning a lot!! Scary kids in my house, scary horses on vacation… as an American commercial used to say about a bath salt “Calgon, take me away!!” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNgZFxAnKtA

They did, and offered to pay for them, which was unneccesary as with some doing they can be repaired.

So much for trying to judge them - well, I judged on the information I had - wild kids + broken toys = ???

But it all worked out in the end. Let’s see what review they leave me “Host was a B*** who took all the toys away from my kids…” ???

Wow it’s never boring at your house lol! I remember that Calgon commercial from the 80’s (we saw it here in Canada) it was a well used phrase for us too :bath:. Wishing you a glowing review!

1 Like

Oh my gosh, I wonder if we stayed in the same place in SF! Did he have a Nicholas Cage picture in his listing photos? I also left feedback about the bathroom, it was absolutely disgusting, I had to clean the sink before I could even wash my face, forget about a shower…

Nice to have you back dc - and happy to hear your guests surprised you in a nice way!

1 Like

Okay, okay… I will pay better attention to getting rid of spider webs. I’ve always received great reviews for cleanliness, but I can still improve. :wink: Oh, and the top of that refrigerator thingy too. I’ll drag out the step ladder, because it is probably about time to have a look at the top of the fridge.

I got slapped for a cobweb once. It was my bad. I forgot to look on top of the shower stall. In Hawaii, they can spin them fast, but this wasn’t that. This was a dust bunnie one. :frowning:

I don’t remember about Nichola Cage. It was near Golden Gate park

@EllenN - in the Caribbean, we get rust on appliances and anything else with metal (including zippers, bra clasps, etc.) within 6 months.

I put this in my House Manual under, “Tidbits about your Cabin”:

2. Anything that looks dirty is not! The climate and creatures of the Caribbean, as well as the salt-air, create all kinds of spots, stains and lots and lots of rust. Your fan, for example, is less than a year old. Same with linens. Calcium build-up and mould are a constant battle for us.

I don’t know what it’s like in cosier surroundings, but most guests who book with Air, and are coming to Costa Rica, admirably are more tolerant to things. We even put in our manual the concept of Pura Vida - they tend to then be more accepting that ants running through the shower does not mean the shower is dirty.

For the rust, you can try mixing a paste of baking soda and bar keepers friend. It got the rust spots off my fridge! Because in the lower latitudes, as we know, rust never sleeps. :D.

1 Like

Never heard of it. Any solution to rust is welcome here, and I will tell all my friends!!!

Oh, it is your friend. Great stuff!!!

Import it, and you will have your new business!

Aaaagghh - now you’ve got me worried. I quote from the listing of the lovely cottage we’re staying at in Cape Town:

There are a further four residents who reside in this little piece of paradise: Sissy the pony, Tuna the cat and Lilly and Teddy, our four legged canine friends. The pony roams free during the day but is locked up in the evening,

(My italics!) Your post also reminded me of the story some guests told us about holidaying on a beautiful estate in Mallorca where there was a free-range donkey … cute, hey? Not so … this donkey terrorised them during the whole four days of their stay, culminating, as they were leaving, in trying to hump their car! They had a great time trying to explain the dents in the roof to the car rental company …

1 Like

I love horses…but they are unpredictable and can be dangerous, especially rescue ones, free range!
My family would freak if this happened to us, you’re very brave!! :fearful: