What are funny things guests have done, that make you say hmm that’s a new one😀

If it’s close to things the guests want and easy to get to and from, they will like the location. I’m not only in a boring, lower income area but I have classic trash neighbors with a front yard full of junk cars, mattresses, boats, etc. But I’m a few blocks from the main freeway going through town so it’s easy to get to everything and I mostly trade in cross country road trippers.

2 Likes

I’m in the Bay Area, where it doesn’t get really cold… but the room over the garage can get a little chilly at night during the winter, so the bed has an electric blanket, for those that like a little extra heat while sleeping. I love using the one at my aunt’s house in Minnesota when I visit, so it seemed a logical addition. Once upon a long time ago, I had a Marin County guest (essentially a local guest) tell me that I shouldn’t put them on the bed, which puzzled me… because it is still a blanket! If you don’t like the electric part, then just don’t turn it on or plug it in!

1 Like

just had perfect guests 2 days ago, booked same day check in, never showed up, canceled few hours later, no message to me about refund, easiest 2000 USD I ever received

8 Likes

I have had guests rearrange furniture,and move furniture to other rooms, but my favorite was when a guest came to my door instead and later told me his first thought was "wow. I didn’t realize the house came with a cat!

4 Likes

We had a guest that decided to eat a salad while taking a bath. Apparently they were a messy eater, there was lettuce everywhere.

5 Likes

Didn’t you have a garbage disposal in the bathtub?? Do you not watch Seinfeld?

4 Likes

No garbage disposal in the bathtub, haha. I don’t know that I’ve ever watched an entire episode of Seinfeld.

1 Like

We had a similar situation. We have a baseball camp 40 minutes from our place. The guest (early forties, divorcee) rented the cabin for seven days. She arrived the first day, sans baseball children, checked in and then we saw her once during the seven days - she went running and took a shower and then we never saw her until the last day when she was checking out. Perhaps she needed to document that she was staying in a place other than she was really staying? A baseball tryst week? A great guest to have. She left a review and made it sound like she and her children spent the whole week in the cabin. She left one negative comment that the shower water was not hot enough. One week. One visit. One shower. No overnights. No children. Otherwise I love guests like this.

5 Likes

Got an inquiry yesterday. Guest said she was going to be attending a workshop and her booking just got cancelled by the host.

Asked if my place would be walking distance to the place where the workshop was being held.
It’s in a different town, 13 kilometers away from my town.
You’d think she might have checked a map first?

3 Likes

Airbnb might have suggested you as an alternative leading her to believe that you were close. AIrbnb channeled a guest to my home for place on Martha’s Vineyard.

One guest was indignant because TV remote control lay on the TV table, not on the bedside table. Another was “terrified” of N. Rockwell picture “Girl with Black Eye” on the wall.

5 Likes

Several guests completely rearranged my kitchen.

One set of guests ignored my warning about the bears. Of course the bears got into their coolers and dumped the contents in the driveway.

We have pocket doors and more than one guest was baffled by the latches. One “locked” herself in the bedroom. Who locks their bedroom door when travelling with your own family? (Our STR is a house)

2 Likes

One guest scrubbed my patio furniture and picked up all the sticks in the yard and put them in the wood pile.

5 Likes

My mother would do something like this, she can’t sit still, she was raised on a farm, and she feels she has to constantly work.

1 Like

One guest wanted me to fit occupied/vacant lock to my 100 year old door to the bathroom….
My response was to ask if they knocked on a closed door, because that’s what I understood the usual process with a closed door!

5 Likes

There is a host who once posted about a guest who took it upon herself to repot all the hosts’ plants. She wasn’t staying for months, she only had a few night booking.

Might have been helpful had half the plants not subsequently died, plus there was a bird’s nest in one of the hanging planters that the host was trying not to disturb, looking forward to seeing the babies hatch.

1 Like

I have a wooden bird that sits on a nightstand beside the bed; it’s the only bed in the suite. I’m always finding the bird in weird poses… Sometimes it’s lying on its back with its feet in the air as though it’s sleeping. Sometimes it’s sitting staring into the corner of the wall with its backed turned. Sometimes it’s perched precariously on the edge of the table like it’s going to jump on the bed. Once, someone had placed a little candy wrapper on its head.

7 Likes

One guest turned our laughing Buddha statue “about face” on the self. It took a lot for me to “keep my Zen on,” but I just turned him around. Has happened only once in our 83 stays.

2 Likes

Oh, well Hotei don’t mind.

2 Likes

@JJD: I thought we were trying NOT to be compared to hotels.
Oh, wait.

1 Like