What are funny things guests have done, that make you say hmm that’s a new one😀

I also include information that is unique to my home like “3 large pine trees on the east side of my property” and “lighted address numbers,” two things no other property on my street have.

1 Like

Four month long guests we actually put a sign with their name on the lamp post.

I had someone from Perth give me 3* because “even though it was Spring, it was very cold”, yes honey, the Adl Hills is an elevated cool climate region, “spring” doesn’t care about the calendar.

4 Likes

in addition to the check-in photos and description, I had 2 corflute signs made with our farm logo, attached to the fence on either side of the gate, and STILL they go to the wrong property!

2 Likes

I am surprised that you rely on the location stated in your listing as a cheap crutch to stand in for its actual location. :rofl:

You might want to add to your listing language like:

The property is located at [GPS coordinates]. Please note that we use words here – apologies to political correctness – in binary terms. So when we say that we have three ‘bedrooms’ we intend that these rooms are bedrooms and not, say, also kitchens or also bathrooms (a frequent misunderstanding). When we say that the property is located at [GPS coordinates] we mean to say that the property is not also located elsewhere.

Or when we say ‘maximum occupancy is six’ we do not mean – apologies to quantum mechanics’ concept of superposition – to suggest that the maximum occupancy is also more than six.

We invoke herein the Humpty Dumpty rule to declare ourselves ‘master’ and to say our words mean neither more nor or less than their plain meaning.

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less . ’ ‘The question is,’ said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things. ’ ‘The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that’s all.”

On our being ‘master’ is a subject we can discuss further upon your appropriate submission of your question.

:rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve had plenty. But the most recent is all the furniture in my unit was completely rearranged, including wall art and fixtures, even the refrigerator and microwave was moved to a different location. Everything was completely rearranged because the guest felt it was more in line with feng shui.

5 Likes

This is a bit insane, and hilarious, and I’m sure annoying.

Did you like the rearrangement of furniture or did you immediately return everything back to their original positions?

2 Likes

Had a few levitators too! So strange…but easy cleaning after!
The funniest though was a woman who texted upon arrival, “Does this switch call the police?” It was a light switch cover of Dr Who’s tardis phone booth. :rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

Don’t people pay others money to feng shui their homes? Is feng shui a verb? I’d be happy to know my space had been aligned with the cosmic energy of the universe for free.

2 Likes

I had a guest give me a 3 star for “location.” The apartment was literally ONE BLOCK AWAY from the place he was doing contract work. But wait, there’s more. He arrived a day later than expected so I wasn’t there to greet him as I was out of state. I sent photos of the front and back entrances (and parking lot) of the apartment. Especially important was a photo of the front entrance and mailbox, where I put the key. He called me after wandering around the back of the building (no key) for a half hour. I sent him to the front, and he called me again 30 minutes later after wandering around our entire small downtown. I’m guessing he paid no attention to the photos I sent, even though I’d told him I was sending them. And told him verbally what to look for. SMH…

4 Likes

Obviously this is because the location of the entrance wasn’t where he looked for it. :rofl:

5 Likes

We are remote and off grid, and our listing includes the detail that our toilets - both indoor and outdoor - are all “dry composting” toilets. This information is also included in our welcome email, is detailed in the printed instructions left in each cabin, is printed on a sign at eye level in front of the toilets themselves, and I also go through this particular detail with every guest on arrival, just in case they have not yet got it through their heads.

The result? We have had guests complain to AirBnB that our toilets refused to flush. We have also had guests pour buckets of water into said toilets (with results that I am sure you can imagine) because apparently we don’t understand how toilets are supposed to work.

5 Likes

There was a homeshare host on another forum who had a guest arrive and be surprised and upset that the hosts had 2 greyhounds. “Oh, you have dogs?”
“Yes, the same dogs that are pictured several times in our photo gallery, the same dogs we mention three times in our listing info and where we also warn guests not to book if they are allergic or afraid of dogs, the same dogs we mention in our post-booking messages to guests. Yes, these are our dogs”.

1 Like

That sounds like my story. It happened to us twice, I think.

One guest left this :joy: Package was empty though…

3 Likes

We’ve had some sweet but kinda nutty questions, like “Am I allowed to take a shower?” and “Is it okay if I close my door?” and a few others. One person (who spoke English) didn’t know what we meant about parking on the street in front of our house. She left her car in the driving lane, not against the curb. We live on a very quiet residential cul-de-sac, but parking against the curb is really the thing to do. Someone else asked if our brindle (striped) greyhound was some kind of cat.

A young couple who was here to go to a wedding came back and the wife got sick in the bedroom, on the bed covers. Her husband came out to the family room crying and told us they’d buy us a whole new bed and covers. He said they’d sleep with the mess so we didn’t have to do anything about it.

It was all fine. Virgil can get just about any stain out. We stripped the bed, while the wife was crying in their bathroom, and we remade it all. It didn’t even get to the bottom sheet, and all the stains came out. In any case, we had a zippered mattress cover, so everything was all right. They kept apologizing and said they should skip breakfast the next day to sort of make up for it. We fed them anyway.

7 Likes

Yea it was quite a laugh. Certainly annoying. The rearrangement made no sense. I don’t even think it was in alignment with feng shui tbh, I think the guest just had OCD. I certainly didn’t get any boost of chi energy out of the deal.

5 Likes

If I hadn’t been aware from hosting forums that bedding style in Europe is normally just a duvet, rather than using top sheets in conjunction with blankets, comforters or duvets I would have found this quite odd, but instead I found it rather sweet and amusing. A guest from Prague came down from her room an hour after she arrived to say she was confused about what she was meant to sleep under and over. She was confounded by the top sheet/blanket arrangement.

4 Likes

I’m in a beachside area near Brisbane, Australia. Recent guests (who claimed they also ran a BNB), rinsed out their crabbing pots and fishing gear in the front yard. No biggie, but they could have asked. Same guest texted me at 6.30am to say there was something “terribly wrong” with the hot water system. Luckily, I was up and could trouble shoot, as I live on the premises. Deduced that when turning around in the shower, she had turned the faucet to “cold”.

Another guy left a full bottle of “hooch” - and broken glass. Not a known brand but in a bottle designed to look like vodka. Who knew it existed?

Another two young men checked in together. No car. From the appearance of one of them, I think he was “rough trade” and selling his services.

2 Likes

Funny, because I livein a very boring suburb, but guests regularly comment on “the great location”. I’m still not sure what they mean, but I’ll take it.

1 Like