What are funny things guests have done, that make you say hmm that’s a new one😀

mm, I have real plants in my listings and sometimes guests take it upon themselves to water the plants. I haven’t yet put anything in the messaging about it as it’s not been disastrous yet, I learn to skip a week or more. I am tempted to put a wee sign inside the pot.

this is kinda funny, but I’d be tempted to remove this item as it’s adding time to the turnover process. One of our bedrooms only has one power point in the whole room, so I have a powerboard on one side and then a long cord running under the bed and I’ve put a power cube (with USB slots) on the other nightstand. Every guest unplugs this set up and there’s always some new configuration, so I keep changing it, hoping to find the ‘right’ way that all guests can understand and not mess with it.

1 Like

Do You have any idea why this is?

We have the same setup, with a power cube. In the Orientation and manual we have a picture of these, both sides (the plugs are on the opposite side), explaining that this way they don’t need to crawl around the floor to plug in. In the Orientation we always show the opposite side (the front side has USB type ports) and it gets “Oohs and Ahhs.”

But there must be some reason why guests are changing your configuration. I would channel your inner Sherlock to figure this and then figure out how to message guests about it. Is it a label? Something in the post-check-in message that says something about them? Such are the explorations and musings of the short-term-rental Host.

lol, you and the labels!
Actually I have written on the cube (cos I do love my sharpies) our farm name, just to untempt some light-fingered guests who might also think the cube is way cool. it’s literally sitting on the nightstand with the USB bit facing forwards.

I think they don’t see the power board on the floor, but rather just the power point in the wall. So they pull out “whatever” is in there, which also shuts down the 2 lamps. So then they must be in the dark, lol, trying to work out what they’ve done. important point to myself: make triple sure under the bed is always clean! What I need to do is perhaps just write “do not unplug” on that first point.

2 Likes

Guests in my unit frequently unplug anything that has little power lights that might disturb their sleep – the clock radio, the air purifier, etc.
Also some people worry about exposure to EMF waves particularly near where they sleep.
I have a WiFi extender in a “cage” I made out of a magazine holder (so it would be tough to monkey with), but guests who are concerned about EMF exposure can just unplug it without affecting the WiFi router in the main house.

I get it and I think it’s a reasonable concern especially if an infant is there or someone whose health is somehow compromised.

I just assumed that you had installed tachyon devices and have the appropriate crystals throughout the property to block these emissions. :rofl:

2 Likes

Does your single power point have only 1 plug spot? I’ve noticed that many USB charging units do not supply the proper voltage to enable “Fast Charging” on many smart phones. So users will often just plug their own charging block directly into the wall to get the faster charging. Maybe this is happening with your cube.

I thought I was doing guests a favor by replacing regular outlets on either side of the bed with ones that also have a USB type A and USB type C in them so they could leave their phones or other devices charging on the night stands, but when I tested with my own phone it would only charge at the “slow” rate unless I plugged my Samsung charging block into the actual wall socket and charged that way. Ahh well.

1 Like

1 Like

With all the news about hidden cameras- you may have paranoid guests!

good question, i’ll check that during the next turnover. ✓

“Do you provide vegetable broth?”

1 Like

Sorry, that may be my fault. The kitchens in my 2-BR listings are very well stocked. There is usually some veg broth in there.

1 Like

Or mine. I’ve had the question a few times and as I live next door to one rental and opposite the other and am vegetarian I just say ‘of course, just knock on my door when you need some.’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

4 guests used 18 bath towels, 9 rolls of toilet paper, 2 rolls of paper towels and a dozen hair towels during a 3 night stay, where they were out from dawn til bedtime every day!

Another guest burned most of a large 3 wick candle and dumped all the melted wax down the bar sink.

Yet another broke a chair and hid it under our huge dining table so it would be hidden by all the chairs, while the next guest left $10.00 and a note of apology for breaking a 50 cent thrift store glass…

Go figure! :rofl:

2 Likes

“Sorry, we do not allow open flames in our airbnb” might be a good addition to your house rules…

3 Likes