We're back in business

Yes, a two week quarantine here!

It’s a feckin mess right now over U.K. access, one department saying one thing, another saying something else. Now the issue over reciprocity is being raised, hence folks from U.K. may have to do the same quarantine as Spanish visitors to the U.K. would do.

We’ve written off any U.K. guests until late July or early August, if even then.

JF

My ex is a Kiwi and his mom has stage 4 lung cancer and he lives in California. He’s quite worried that due to the 14 day self isolation in a hotel in Auckland, that he’ll arrive too late. She’s a wonderful woman and he is quite worried.

NZ is so tourist-centric that I feel for everyone there who depends upon that money. That being said, my Kiwi “outlaws” and friends there are enjoying going places and actually being able to see the stunning scenery for lack of tourist buses.

We’ll be closed for our usual group bookings until there is a vaccine or other solution. However, if it goes on too long I think we’ll have to reconfigure the house to take family bookings.

1 Like

Just our of curiosity: what is the difference between hosting a group and a family? Is the former less infectious and/or greater risk to you than the latter? Genuine question.

Basically, yes, in my case it is 18 times the risk. Hosting a large group for me involves bringing people from up to 18 different households together - currently not allowed in the UK under Covid-19 restrictions and a much higher risk of infection which could then spread back to up to 18 other households. Hosting a family means they are already living together and so they are the same risk to themselves on holiday or at home. When holiday lets are allowed to open here - possibly in July - social distancing will still be required and this isn’t possible when hosting large groups for hen parties, etc. I don’t live in the property so the risk I have to assess is to the guests, my cleaners and my city. And, of course, that I can comply with any regulations in place at the time.

2 Likes

Well, as of today visitors from the U.K. are allowed into Spain without quarantine, even though the stats in parts of the U.K. are still pretty grim.

Was chatting to the waiter round the corner and he’s more concerned about the Spanish coming from Madrid and Barcelona, which from his perspective makes sense. We don’t really get that many foreign tourists in our barriada, apart from those that stay with us of course :wink:

JF

New study released earlier this month on excess deaths in the US. Whatever numbers they are giving us need to be multiplied by 1.3x.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2767980?fbclid=IwAR0iyJszG46UNNwWKRF8WVeVnB6STNgw183KNwuGRgjAQ1nQ0WVhJOsE7nk

1 Like

We’re getting cancellations again. The Gov of California has shut down alot of indoor (bars, restaurants, theaters, wine tasting rooms) and outdoor venues yesterday and already I’ve received three cancellation requests. One was a returning cash customer so it was easy to open up her space on the calendar. The other two will not be getting refunds but a chance to rebook at another time for their paid stay.

Since its my last month working for the owner, I told him that I’ll be expecting my cut of those two re-bookings, and it will be up to him to honor my offer (which is in writing on the dashboard).

Here it comes again…

1 Like

Wow, nobody saw that coming! :roll_eyes:

I’m opening just in time. LOL.

1 Like