We're back in business

Finally the whole COVID-19 thing is coming to an end. No more lockdown, shops are open, kids going to school again. Life is normalizing again.

We were allowed to open our business again on then 29th of May, and immediately got some bookings. Foreign tourist from neighbouring countries are allowed from last Friday, and all others are allowed from 15th of June.

Last few days we had steady stream of inquiries and bookings, interestingly most of them mention they saw us on Air or BDC, but want to book direct because they do like not want to support our business direct and not a large company.

We lost 2 months of business, but it seems that this summer will be fairly normal.

5 Likes

Which country are you based in @Chris?

The latest in the UK is 3 July but it might be extended.

Austria.

Whole continental Europe will open its borders from 15th of June.

1 Like

Good to know is that from anywhere or just within the EU @Chris ?

Currently it is still from within the EU.
But I know they are also considering flights to Morocco and Turkey.

Not entirely. Spain is waiting until 1st July.

JF

1 Like

Is summer your high season or is ski season busier for you?

Both are important seasons.

Winter season is short, but prices are higher. (3 months)
Summer season is long, but lower prices. (5 months)

Winter-guest are easy money, summer-guest are high maintenance.

1 Like

I’m closed until August and will probably miss out on the open window of opportunity; we shall see. In my small circle of friends and acquaintances spending is close to normal. Two friends bought new trucks. A client is looking at buying property in a tourist area in the mountains 3 hours from here. Teachers are traveling (but driving, not flying). People are eating carry out, getting massages, haircuts and pedicures. It’s not back to normal but it may be good enough to prevent a second great depression. I hope so.

The next months will be fascinating.

2 Likes

We’re closed until there is an effective Covid-19 vaccine. Whenever that will be.

6 Likes

Yes, some parts of the economy are booming. Garden Pools, and e-bikes are sold out everywhere. :slight_smile:

The only thing I worry about, is that this virus will come back this winter (like all common corona viruses), and that the governments start panicking again.

Hopefully they learned from this, and take a more organized, balanced and targeted approach next time.

I know EU country governments and healthcare systems are already planning for the second and third waves of the virus.

This is certainly what is happening here in the UK.

So hopefully we will have a more measured and better co-ordinated response.

Regardless of what governments do covid will continue to be a drag on the economy because you can’t make people spend money.

My home dog boarding business is not anything close to “back to normal.” One doctor client has canceled all her travel for the year. No conferences, no vacation, no flying to Croatia where she is still trying to settle her late husband’s estate. I currently have two requests for 4th of July holiday. 4th of July and winter break have always been my 2 busiest booking periods. I’ve had more than one booking request made and cancelled days later. If this is a proxy for the overall economy, it’s not good. Admittedly I’m in a bubble.

I’m assuming at this point if people have half the income they normally would they will be happy after thinking the entire summer might be lost. That’s how the system operates: lower expectations, outperform, take credit for the improvement.

1 Like

The World Bank said Monday the world is facing an unprecedented health and economic crisis that has spread with astonishing speed and will result in the largest shock the global economy has witnessed in more than seven decades. Millions of people are expected to be pushed into extreme poverty.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/world-bank-world-suffer-largest-151523495.html

Ah, the great debate - fly for 3 hours (minus airport and transit times) or drive for 10 hours and get gas and go to public bathrooms.

My friends from Kentucky recently drove even though the airline they fly is at 50% capacity and undergoes rigorous cleaning procedures.

I would fly just because I don’t want to be around the gas stations, gas station loos, or the people driving through. But that’s just me. Especially the loos.

:nauseated_face:

I don’t want to be in enclosed spaces for extended periods of time with people I don’t know. Period. I’m not worried about getting it from touching things. If I get new information I will adjust my stance. What I’m hearing about airlines is not encouraging for me.

The other thing is that my fun money has dried up. All the traveling and remodeling I’ve done over the past 5 years was paid for by Airbnb and dog boarding. I can live on my pension but my discretionary spending has been cut by the same proportion as my in home business which at this point (mid March to early August) looks like it’s going to be about 20% of past like periods.

I’ve disconnected my DirectTV, canceled dog kennel insurance, cancelled reward credit cards with fees, cancelled a couple of other luxury subscriptions, stopped getting massages, canceled doctor’s appointments, am waiting on that root canal and crown my dentist says I need. I haven’t been in a restaurant, bar, concert hall etc in months. And I’m one of the lucky ones. I’d like to be optimistic about the economy but I don’t see why I should be.

5 Likes

Oh I hear you!!! I’m on strict rations these days.

Yup, same boat. Canceled cable except internet for work and the streaming for Netflix, and Amazon Prime, only using debit card, and am on short rations with food. Never mind any sodas for gin drinks. Thankfully, I had a very full wine “cellar” before this started and I’ve barely been drinking, so there’s that. I’ve been out to a restaurant once and am still reeling from the cost. Won’t happen again until my birthday, end of this month.

Stay strong!

2 Likes

Canada and Mexico are both cheaper for dental work.

2 Likes

Sourdough has been my friend now that we once again have decent organic flour. It’s so much better eating homemade bread, and so much cheaper!

I planted a bigger garden this year, and am thinking about next year turning the front lawn into raised veggie beds and building a greenhouse out back for tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and maybe even sweet corn.

If I want to take the time to freeze and can, I can probably raise all the veg I need except for mid-winter lettuce. The house also has a root cellar where I could store root veg in sandboxes like my grandpa used to do. I can remembering the weekly watering of the sandboxes full of turnips, carrots, beets, turnips, and parsnips, which stayed nice and crisp in the dark all winter.

He worked at a mine, so the wooden boxes full of sand were Dupont dynamite crates with dovetailed corners.

Of course I have more time to garden when I don’t have to change or clean rooms, or do all the laundry. :wink:

4 Likes

Yes. I’ve heard that. But I’m not sure how the risk-reward plays out for me. I do have retirement savings I can tap if my bank account is empty.