We're back in business

I had a fabulous doctor and a fabulous dentist in Tijuana and Ensenada, respectively when I lived in San Diego. Miss that.

So I have been a little out of the loop and am hesitant to reopen on AirBnb after all the punitive measures they took against hosts. Have they stopped controlling everyoneā€™s listings? Can I open up to guests or will I get kicked off? I just got an inquiry about a July stay.

Iā€™m a UK host and started receiving bookings for after July 4th. Iā€™m wondering what will happen if the lockdown goes beyond this date. Will guests still get a full refund and if we have to cancel due to the restrictions on travel will we be penalised financially and have a black mark against us.

1 Like

Same here, @RebeccaF. We have too many risk factors in addition to age.

1 Like

Hi @goosewing1954

Iā€™m a UK host too. I think there is a risk that they will extend beyond 4 July particularly for those sharing a home. But itā€™s anyoneā€™s guess at the moment.

The risk of dying or getting seriously ill, is immensely exaggerated by the media, even if you are in one of the higher risk groups.

They only show absolute numbers, and the relative numbers are not realistic because most people that had the virus have never been tested.

3.3 in 10.000 people die of COVID-19 infection.
1.8 in 10.000 people die in a traffic accident.
2.0 in 10.000 people die of air Pollution in the US.
1.2 in 10.000 people die by firearms in the US.
and so onā€¦

So there is a chance you die this year, but the chance that COVID-19 will be the cause is very slim.

The best measure against any corona virus (including common flu) is improving your your immune system: Loose weight, Exercise, eat healthy and go outside.

Locking yourself inside your home seems to be the worst thing you can do against Covid-19: The role of Vitamin D in the prevention of Coronavirus Disease 2019 infection and mortality | Research Square

1 Like

Your source for that figure please?

Truth be told you donā€™t need to bother. Itā€™s a nonsense figure that can easily be shown as such by the current direct CV19 mortality rates.

On the basis that mortality rates are absolute numbers (to use your term), and can only be skewed upwards with further testing, your figure of 3.3 per 10,000 is less than that experienced by San Marino, Belgium, Andorra, U.K., Spain, Italy, Sweden, France, The Netherlands, Saint Maarten, U.S. and the republic of Ireland.

However, it is becoming generally accepted that a far better indicator is excess mortality rates, as these discount the deaths one would seasonally expect from flu, heart disease etc. These figures also include deaths indirectly caused by CV19, e.g. existing or newly discovered illnesses where the cause of death came from lack of treatment.

To use the U.K. as an example:

The number of excess deaths in the period from the week ending 27 March to 29 May was 57,961. Statisticians say this figure could show undiagnosed Covid-19 deaths as well as deaths caused by a lack of treatment resulting from the lockdown.

Adding in excess deaths for a similar period in Scotland and Northern Ireland, the total rises to 63,629.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/09/excess-deaths-in-uk-under-coronavirus-lockdown-pass-63000

Actual facts donā€™t really suit your agenda, do they?

JF

3 Likes

All Data can easely be found here.
Also the number of 3.3.

And there was a short period of (high) excess mortality, currently European countries are reporting below average rates. By the end of the year, the excess will likely be gone.

Data can be found here:

So these are actual facts, not some clickbait from newspapers.
So actually real facts do fit my agenda, not propaganda and clickbait spread by the media.

By using the same source I can come up with a figure of 0.5 per 10,000, if I wanted to.

Interesting that you should quote EuroMOMO, as they are another (in addition to the U.K.'s ONS) good source of excess mortalities.

Actually, what they say is:

Pooled estimates of all-cause mortality for the countries in the EuroMOMO network are approaching normal levels, following a period of a substantial excess mortality observed in some countries coinciding with the COVID-19 pandemic. A few countries are still seeing some excess mortality.

And what they also say is:

Importantly, the mortality estimates for the most recent weeks must be read with caution, despite the applied correction for delay in registration.

Given that most European countries have taken (in some cases extreme) measures to curb the spread of CV19, I donā€™t think any of us are surprised that the death rate is falling.

Youā€™ve said before that, in your opinion, this is just another flu and that healthy eating and outdoor exercise is enough to avoid infection. Maybe, instead of taking all those extreme measures to stop the spread, the leaders of EU countries should have simply employed the Von Trapp method instead:

JF

2 Likes

ā€œWeā€™re just at the beginning of this.ā€

1 Like

Weā€™re back in business as well. Weā€™ve reopened our retail store in Colorado and our Airbnb in New Mexico, both with mixed emotions. Sadly our music career has been put on indefinite hold, which was more gutting than closing up the other two businesses.

Our Airbnb is a whole home rental and our cleaners have stepped up and are doing a wonderful job, but Iā€™m not that comfortable encouraging tourists to come to town. Iā€™m just hoping that people there are taking precautions.

Weā€™re really struggling with having our retail shop open again. Our small town of 5500 people has had 20 deaths due to COVID-19. We have 4 close friends (between the ages of 35-60 who have had it and thankfully survived. Three of them had very mild cases, but one has really struggled with it recurring 3 times and now has a chronic cough from scarring on his lungs. As a vocalist, this is worrisome, but financially we felt that we didnā€™t have much choice but to start doing business again. Our county in Colorado is requiring all business owners and customers to wear masks. Most people have been very kind and compliant, but Iā€™ve been amazed every day at how many I have to turn away because they refuse to wear a mask. We even offer them free ones.

I am absolutely amazed at the people protesting the shut down, bitching and moaning about needing to get their nails done and go shopping and now that we are back open refuse to do the simplest thing, like wear a mask, so we can continue to stay open.

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant. I feel a bit better having gotten it off my chest though. :grin:

7 Likes

A conservative voice who says lockdowns worked. He doesnā€™t address if we will have to re-implement them again.

Well, thereā€™s no reason you have to use gas station loos if all you have to do is pee. I never do on a road trip- I find some side road , preferably a country road, and deek behind a bush. And you can put on gloves to use the gas pumps or the bathrooms. (In Mexico thereā€™s no self-serve, nor in Oregon)
Last place Iā€™d want to be right now is in an airport or cooped up on a plane with other people. And using the teensy airplane loo sounds really bad. Like theyā€™re going to sterilize it after each passenger uses it? At least in a gas station or rest stop bathroom, thereā€™s usually space to move around without touching anything unnecessarily.

1 Like

@KKC - this isnā€™t exactly on topic, but you may find it fascinating. It has been demonstrated you can train dogs to identify people with Covid. Two groups have announced this in the past week or two. The most recent was from France, and they had their dogs sniff underarms (sweat). Accuracy was between 83% and 100%, and two people identified as positive by the dogs had tested negative, but tested positive after the dogs identified them. The trainers believe the dogs with lower accuracy were distracted by the general media frenzy surrounding the demonstration.

Iā€™m hopeful this will be useful for screening people before boarding a plane. St Lucia (where our vacation home is located) is still essentially closed to non-nationals. You are technically allowed to go there, but you have to have a negative Covid test where the sample was taken less than 48 hours before boarding the plane. So that has effectively shut down the borders.

3 Likes

Thanks for that information. That would be fantastic and much better than having a swab in the back of your nasal cavity.

1 Like

You are posting completely false information. Of the resolved cases in the US, meaning those that had the virus and either recovered or died, the death rate is 12%. That means that out of every hundred people who have knowingly had the virus, 12 of them have died. Even if you look at the recovered cases and the active cases, the death rate is 5.6%. Thatā€™s 5.6 people out of every one hundred who die of COVID. Not 3.3 people out of 10,000.

Thereā€™s no air pollution where I live in Mexico, therefore no one here dies of that. Private citizens are not allowed to carry guns, so the chances of getting shot are slim. But the death rate from COVID here currently stands at 11.5%.

2 Likes

Well my country (NZ) has declared itself to be Covid19 free. So life is back to normal mainly. I am seeing some bookings via AirBnB (and surprisingly some via BDC which up till now had no bookings). My place is two bedroom self-contained apartment in a complex that competes with similar apartments but hosted by a corporate entity.

My biggest issue is, while the country might be deemed Covid19 free, the border is still closed apart from New Zealand citizens returning home and special skilled workers. No general tourism and I lost a few bookings from the US. And even if you can come in you are required to self-isolate for 14 days which puts paid to most tourists.

Not any more youā€™re not.

This the concern we have, that visitors from the U.K. may be allowed into Spain earlier than they should. There is now confusion over exactly when U.K. tourists will be allowed entry, the tourism minister announcing on Sunday from the 22nd June, but now the foreign minister is saying that the situation is fluid and that may not be the case.

Ho hum.

JF

2 Likes

Yes that was pretty disappointing. So much for compassion. Now all visitors have to be tested negative before allowed out of quarantine

We might be allowed in, but with a two week quarantine to come back to, most of us arenā€™t going to risk it :blush: