Welp it’s happened- guest shows up with dog

Years ago when we had a lot of posts obsessing over reviews, this was mentioned as a way to get a preview of the guests review. I don’t know if it always shows or just sometimes. I almost always review right away and before the guest so I’ve never seen it first hand. I’m a bit surprised they reviewed you quickly.

Anyway, now you know and so you can go ahead and leave the review I suggested. 1 star across the board, no hosting again and a scathing written review. Some people will suggest you wait the 14 days in hopes that you get other good reviews that will show above his and his will be buried faster. I don’t play those games but some people enjoy them.

3 Likes

Oh definitely! I’m so surprised they left a review so quickly too, I’m just going to wait until after July 1st since I’m sure it’ll impact our superhost status (we’re still pretty new, so a negative review will bring us down a lot)

1 Like

One would think that since they’ve already logged it into their system it already counts against your SH status.

When ratings are counted is based on the check-out date, not when the reviews are posted.

2 Likes

So you think they’d revoke our status? It appears to not impact our rating yet since we haven’t posted ours yet (I checked our superhost rating in the superhost progress tab) so I was hoping we’d get our status renewed before the end of the review period…

It July 2nd…
Did you review them yet? What did you say? What was the review from them?
We NEED to know…lol

Please update us

RR

3 Likes

Update: went ahead and pulled the bandaid off. Rated us a 3 (which is better than what I was expecting TBH). Which means we’re still superhosts!

Their review: “Really cutely decorated stay! Was very hot upstairs at night even with both ACs operating. Also had a few issues with bugs inside which is to be expected in an older unit in the countryside. It’s right on a main highway so you do hear the cars whizz by. The interior is super cute though and very thoughtful hosts leaving us a bottle of wine!”

The review was strange, like it tried to pretend to be balanced? We check the listing before guests arrive and double checked after they left- zero problems with the AC system and no bugs :woman_shrugging:t2: Also- it’s located close to a country road, which is a far cry from a main highway (and we mention the location in the description)

Ah well- could have been way worse but knocked us down in the ratings game since we’re still newish.

4 Likes

What was your review of the guests?

RR

2 Likes

Do you do that for every guest?

Bet you wish you hadn’t with these guests. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Hahaha omg right?? We do little welcome things- sometimes a bottle of wine, sometimes locally baked treats :heartpulse:

Our review was more tempered than my previous drafts thanks to a husband who is far too kind-
“Unfortunately, there were several issues with the guests respecting important house rules that had to be addressed during their weekend stay. Would not host again.”

3 Likes

Sorry for the tough situation. Clearly the lying jerk guests (I have no doubt at all it was not a service animal), decided to “punish you” for the perceived slight to question their absolute right to bring a dog.
Totally sucks and it is hard to do what might be best for our business, say nothing then blast them with a scathing 1 Star review after the fact.

1 Like

As a fellow host I’d really like to know that people bring dogs, don’t tell the hosts and then claim “assistance animal.”

“Important house rules” aren’t universal. Maybe for you the important rule is “no parking in the driveway” and for me it’s “only park in the driveway.”

I’m quickly learning that many of my fellow hosts really aren’t interested in helping me out. As one recent post said, I’m just your competitor.

3 Likes

I also think it’s important to be specific about what the objectionable behavior was, without getting into all the gritty details. A home-share host may have quite different concerns about guest behavior than an entire house host, for instance. If “didn’t follow house rules” means they snuck in extra guests or a dog, that isn’t of concern to me, as guests can’t do that in my private room. So if they were otherwise good guests, left the space clean, etc, I wouldn’t reject them on that basis.

3 Likes

We didn’t want to mention assistance dog and get into a fight with AirBnB over it or have it taken down as “discriminatory” (edit: we doubt it was an assistance dog but without having regulations on documentation, it’s impossible to make absolutely sure)

1 Like

While it’s true that you can’t predict what some clueless CS rep will take it in their mind to do, it isn’t discriminatory to state fact. “Guest told me they had a service dog, but the dog was left alone in the unit when the guest went out.”

2 Likes

Yes, that’s one drafted version I had. We went another direction as we do not want to get into the muck of being potentially dinged as discriminatory. I’m sure there’s a million other versions other hosts would have done, but this was ours.

2 Likes

We mostly care about red flags to help avoid problem bookings.
As one who spent over 25 years in IT, it is very sensible that some hosts and guests are far more concerned about personal privacy and their digital footprint than any social aspect on a mere booking platform whose sole purpose is maximizing shareholder value.
Such concerns are entirely valid. Each of us should choose as we like, without getting jabbed at by 'net strangers with “thou must behave as I believe”.

Anyone who doesn’t want to risk being jabbed by internet strangers shouldn’t post on internet forums. And believe me, if I had a way to make people “behave as I believe,” I’d no doubt abuse that power.

People state what they think and feel, I state what I think and feel and everyone makes up their own mind how they want to react to all of it.

6 Likes

Do-Gooder Sap here.

Ask Danny Trejo. Ask Ice-T. Ask Ken Blanchard.

History gives us Abraham Lincoln, Dr. Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa…

Helping your fellow person elevates the helper.

Danny Trejo says every success he ever had was because he helped someone else. (From being In prison to boxing coach, to movie extra to actor to food entrepreneur)

Ice-T from street gang kid, rapper, actor, reality show, Actor many years Law& Order SVU, 2021 Grammy (he lives the model but talks about it rarely).

I’ve helped a few of my neighbors with their Airbnb start up & bookings. I’ve made a good amount of money from referrals to me of guests they can’t accommodate. I’ve benefited from having ready helper bees when I need help at my rental.

Anyone who won’t help the competition can’t see the bigger picture. The competition will exist. They can be your allies or not.

However if the support isn’t mutual, I don’t continue my sappy assistance.

BTW when Danny Trejo posted he had “his people” looking for the people who shot Lady Gaga’s dog walker & stole her dogs, I knew they would be found. He scares me…

3 Likes

You’ve obviously never met my OH. Danny Trejo would have asked her permission, to allow “his people” to look for the perpetrators", if this had happened in our barrio.

:wink:

JF

3 Likes