Welp it’s happened- guest shows up with dog

That’s one of those unenforceable rules. If a dog owner lets their dog go on the bed and the furniture at home, you can rest assured they will at your place, too. It isn’t so much a matter of disrespect, but of training. While a child can understand, “Yes, I know we allow you to do that at home, but it isn’t allowed here”, a dog has no such ability to understand the distinction, nor can the owners change the program just like that, even if they wanted to. The dog will jump up on the furniture the minute their back is turned.

It’s a much better idea, if you are going to allow pets, to provide some old sheets or blankets and ask the guests to cover any furniture their pets might get on.

And I can tell you that while I have never allowed my dogs on the furniture or the bed, the one I have now is such a heavy shedder that her hair would be on the furniture anyway in any room she was hanging out in- it floats around and settles everywhere.

My dog is like that too. The hair goes everywhere—even when he doesn’t!

Sorry for a true service animal (e.g. seeing eye dog, seizure monitoring dog, mobility assistance dog) no up charges of any kind allowed in the USA.

Emotional support animals, I don’t know but I doubt it.

I’ve had requests for emotional support dogs to stay. 1 got by me because it wasn’t disclosed until after booking.

The others didn’t book with me when I stated I will need a signed statement of:
-they understand they must comply with Airbnb’s policy that the dog cannot be left alone at any time,
-the HOA requires appropriate documentation for the dog & the dog must wear a service jacket/harness at all times,
-between 9-5 only service animals (no emotional support animals) are allowed on the beach and
-state health code will not allow any animals in the neighborhood pool

There is a fairly new medical need service dog designation of: psychiatric support dog. (My personal not pc opinion is these are the REAL emotional support dogs so accommodate):
Must be a dog.
Must be specially trained to perform at least one service to support the owner’s disability.
Owner is legally REQUIRED to have a diagnosis of a disability from a licensed medical or mental health professional.

I’m not a real estate rights attorney so if they can meet HOA requirements and agree to follow the rules, I accept emotional support dogs.

4 Likes

I have similar stipulations and have had two bookings bringing emotional support animals cancel within 24 hours- likely realizing that not being able to leave their dog alone was going to put a cramp in their weekends plans.

This one just showed up at midnight during self check-in with no heads up that they were bringing a dog so I couldn’t give them the spiel ahead of time (they disregarded the number one rule of not leaving the dog alone in the house anyways).

Is it legal to insist that the dog wear their vest when outside the house, and are you allowed to ask for proof of training (as in a real, trained, service dog)? It seems like if we are forced to allow service dogs we should be allowed to ask for proof. Otherwise it’s just a dog.

For emotional support animals there is no “proof” and in any case, proof can easily be forged. Same with vests and all that.

With Airbnb they don’t even have to be disclosed in advance. Someone can show up with a dog, unannounced, and claim it’s a service animal or ESA and Airbnb will permit it.

You should read Airbnb’s information about the topic as well as read the dozens of threads here on the topic.

3 Likes

Let me just Google that…… how many $2 certificates do you want?

1 Like

This triggered a thought. My HOA rules will not allow STR & LTR tenants to have pets on premises. That is clearly stated in my house rules

However I need to include in order to comply eith HOA rules for making accommodations for service animals, advance notice is required

I’ve read quite a few of the threads, unfortunately there is conflicting information in all of them.
Are we at least allowed to insist that the dog be with them when they leave the house? I had a potential long term renter (two weeks) ask if their employee could bring their service dog, but when I asked if the dog would be going to work with the employee she said no. Obviously a very NEEDED service dog. :roll_eyes: Fortunately they decided not to rent and it booked up anyway.

I’m not sure that would work as AirBnB rules specify if someone is bringing a service or assistance animal then they do not have to provide notice. What specifically do your HOA rules say?

Have you read the Airbnb policy on service animals? It doesn’t sound like it.

Yes, the dog cannot be left alone, must be housebroken. The whole thing about service dogs is that they are always with their handler.

3 Likes

Yes. But if they leave the house without the dog, Airbnb probably won’t help you and may even refund if you kick them out for violating policy.

2 Likes

Here is the service animal policy:

EDIT—I removed a paragraph that was wrong

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/what-you-need-to-know-about-hosting-families-and-pets-237

About my HOA requiring documentation & advance notice:

Airbnb requires neither but also states “we don’t want Hosts to break local laws or take actions that may subject them to legal liability.”

My HOA requires documentation & advance notice. Failure to comply can result in HOA fines & civil action. I am subject to those, so I can require advance notice.

2 Likes

Under the section “Issues with service animals” AirBnB says: “And given their role in providing service or emotional support, assistance animals shouldn’t be left alone at a listing.”

Definitely recommend reiterating to guests who bring an assistance/service animal though! It’s a good thing your HOA requires notice, wish that was my case too :cry:

1 Like

Thank you I missed it

3 Likes

I have not read your rental description, but it might be helpful to mention if a renter has a “service” animal, that you need all paperwork regarding that animal. Up to date veterinary vaccinations, and service license copy. You’re allowed to ask for those in Florida as we can not discriminate or even ask for more deposit on service animals. Even if it’s emotional support. But you may ask for those papers in advance of rental.

That unfortunately is not following AirBnB’s TOS- guests are not required to tell you that they’re bringing an assistance or service dog in advance of stay or at all! They are also not required to provide paperwork (and looks like from their page on service/assistance animals that you can’t ask for documentation)

2 Likes

I would.

I do not recommend Guestname. Guest showed up with a dog and when asked about it claimed that it was a service animal which they then left alone in the unit.

Don’t let on that you know or are upset at all. Send a nice message when they leave thanking them for the stay.

RR

3 Likes

Your policy is no pets. They check in with a pet. My suggestion would have been to immediately call Airbnb and ask that they be relocated to another listing. We had to instances since we began hosting in 2010 where we knew a guest was not a good match. We called Airbnb and they found them another place to our relief and the guest’s as well. As hosts we don’t need to tolerate this sort of behavior. (Are you sure you are charging enough? That may be a factor as well.)

2 Likes

We’re charging a competitive price- I just think they didn’t read that we have a very clearly stated exterior security cam and thought they’d get away with it tbh. You can hear them point out on the recording that there’s a security cam “uh oh” LOL

Just noticed there’s a glitch in AirBnB- I haven’t reviewed them yet but got a notice they reviewed us (uh oh). When I went to the performance tab it shows I have one review under 5 stars in the last 7 days. They are the only guests with a pending review so bracing ourselves for some sort of retaliatory response even though we didn’t kick them out (we just explained assistance animal rules like not leaving dog alone in space) and they said everything was awesome during their stay.