Well, the house is sold

Well, I finally closed yesterday after a weeklong marathon of moving stuff to storage or discarding it. It’s hard to downsize form a 3000 sq ft house to a 36 foot sailboat. Finally, I’m retired, debt free, and ready for world travel.

I’ll still check in here from time to time, just not daily like the past 4 years. Thanks to all who offered me suggestions and advice here. The problem was that I had a house that needed 2 people with 2 incomes to be eligible for the refinancing necessary to add the bathrooms I needed. It was hard selling the home Grandpa built 84 years ago, but now it’s someone else’s project house.

But them I’m going to live on a boat? As I told my brother, you can’t untie a condo and take it to Panama, and though there will be maintenance issues, they are usually smaller scale.

Carry on, folks. I plan on sailing both coasts, and will let folks know where I am so we can meet in person if you wish.

Dennis

25 Likes

Big change, and you sound gloriously unencumbered! Enjoy your travels!

4 Likes

Congratulations! What an exciting new life!

3 Likes

Congratulations!! I dream of doing something similar, but with an RV. Let us know when your reach Massachusetts!

4 Likes

sounds amazing, although I’m not that into a boat life I would love to simplify down to one manageable property.

3 Likes

Congratulations on your new adventure! I think we’d love to hear what living on a boat is like, and btw what kind of boat? Is it a house boat? And what happens during storms? Well it all sounds just wonderful! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations on moving to life on a live aboard .

My first home post uni was living on a houseboat @NordlingHouse

2 Likes

Congratulations! Will you be taking off this fall? Careful going down the Pacific Coast, I know things can be tricky.

2 Likes

Congrats, Dennis. A new chapter in life, pretty exciting. Get in touch if you make it down Puerto Vallarta way.

2 Likes

Congratulations, Dennis. Sadly I don’t live near a coast and don’t anticipate that ever happening, but one never knows. Please pop in with updates and let me enjoy your travels vicariously.

3 Likes

Well, we certainly understand your wanting to check in here only from time to time rather than daily. We’ll consider your request but, regrettably, you’ve been such a prolific and substantive contributor that we cannot let you go so easily.

I doubt that the Board will approve your request to check in only just from time to time. We must hear more from you!

3 Likes

Congrats! I’m jealous.

2 Likes

If you ever decide to sail the “Great Loop”, (https://www.greatloop.org/) you will pass by our Airbnb on the Tennessee river and your welcome to tie up and take a break for a couple of days.

3 Likes

If you are in the Boston area and need a crew person, drop me a line.

1 Like

In Australia and Grafton is on the mighty Clarence River!
Always welcome :smile:

1 Like

Congratulations!! Our good friends did the same…sailed the seas for about 8 years and then decided they were travelers more than sailors so now they have lived in the RV for the past five years and are traveling that way, in addition to flying to other continents. They love their lifestyle.

1 Like

Fair winds at your stern and smooth seas before you<><>

1 Like

Congrats! Your input here will be missed…

1 Like

Congratulations on the change. I’m a little envious-some of my happiest memories were while living in a 36ft sport fisher/convertible.

One of the highest captain compliments I’ve heard was a Captain licensed for cruise ships talking to a man who sailed from the Virgin Islands to South Carolina in a 30’ sailboat. “You must be brave & good…that’s a great big ocean for that small yacht.” He was sincere. Open ocean is easier with a massive ship & all the equipment.

1 Like

A good majority of the time oceans are beautiful and benign, boring, almost. A small percentage of the time the old man of the sea gets angry, very very angry, and it is terrible to behold. I have been on a small well built yacht in a 3 day gale and a bigger boat isn’t what
I prayed for. I wished to see a tree before I died.

5 Likes